Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2015, 09:03 AM   #1

Strong Storms

Just posting this because I know I had wondered about a HW's ability to ride out a strong storm.

Earlier this summer we were camping in our HW276 along the SE VA coast. There were warnings about strong storms for the evening. The weather reports were so convincing that most of the tent campers packed up and left. We decided to stay.

Since we had advanced warnings I had time to prepare. I filled up the fresh water tank and the black tank to add some weight. Obviously, I rolled up the awning and packed up anything loose. We then turned in. Everyone (wife and three kids) went to sleep and I stayed up watching the radar. Sure enough around 1 am the storms fired up. An enormous red blob was headed right for us. I started getting "SuperCyclone warnings" on my phone, which were worrysome because I had never heard that terminology used before.

I first heard the wind. I could hear it coming a mile away like a wall rushing through the trees. Soon we found ourselves in the worst thunderstorm I have experienced. The campground lost power about 10 minutes in. I could hear people in tents screaming and kids crying. It really was a stressful scene. It was pitch dark, except for frequent lighting strikes. Everytime it flashed I caught a quick glimpse of what was going on outside. Camping equipment was flying around everywhere. I had flashbacks of riding out Hurricane Hugo on the SC coast 26 years ago.

The next morning the news was reporting that the winds in our area topped 65 MPH. The HW 276 held up like a champ. Not a scratch on her.
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 12:23 PM   #2

that's good to hear, the day i picked mine up at the dealer in Tampa had a similar situation

we were spending the night, and strong storms came in, it flooded the area around the camp site, but the popup was fine.
my concern was trees/ limbs coming down but no issues.
swimmarz is offline   Reply With Quote