Old 02-11-2015, 02:17 PM   #1

Sub frame preventive maintenance

Kia ora (Hello) from a kiwi in NZ.
I am a newbie to these forums , this is my first post so my apologies if this is posted in the wrong place.
My wife and I have purchased a new 2015 Flagstaff 228D pup.

We spend most of our camping at the seaside and it is similar to what you call boondocking, although there are some sites we go to that have the basics like a cold shower and toilets, otherwise it is all good.

Our first trip was great, a real step up from our tent.

I am looking for advise on looking after the chassis and subframe, including the wooden floor etc.

I have been thinking about sealing the steel frame underneath with a coating of underseal which is a wax type product that does not harden, I have this on the chassis of my TV, a Mazda bounty 4x4.

I am not so sure about the wooden floor, I am a bit concerned that if I seal this from underneath it will cause a moisture problem and so I am looking for any advice on how to look after this, and if there are any products that can be applied to it to look after it.

Also the manufacturers warranty does not apply here, I am relying on the supplier here in NZ who has provided a 12 month return to base warranty.

So thanks for reading this post and thank you in advance for any advice you may have

Hankus

Old 02-11-2015, 02:21 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum.

I think you want the wood floor to breathe. So I think I you should keep it exposed.

Waxing the frame should be fine.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 1000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:29 PM   #3

You do not want to put anything on the floor. It is made with exterior grade plywood and as long as it does not stay wet for extended time (weeks) it will last many years. I had a 15 year old pup and the wood showed no signs of damage.

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 05:57 PM   #4

Somethings you might want to do each year for general maintenance...
If you get under the trailer, at each corner you will see a curved metal conduit that conduit needs to be pulled back and 30W motor oil needs to be squirted into the conduit around the large spring that pushes on the corner to raise the roof.
Just remove the two screws and pull the conduit down...

Then squirt some oil into the conduit...

After you are done, push the conduit up and secure with the two bolts.

Now, under the trailer in the center is the track area where the cables go though, on the front and rear are two zerk grease fittings. Pump a lot of grease into each fitting. If this has never been done before, you will probably use an entire 14 oz tube of high pressure lithium grease or synthetic) for each fitting.

It gets easier from here.
Under the winch motor on the trailer frame is a pan held in place by 4 screws. Remove those screws, drop the pan, and then spray a lube such as WD-40 onto the drum and bottom of the gear assembly you will see when looking into it. Then replace the cover.

Now on older winch motors, on top of the winch cover, on the left side as you are looking at it, is a round cover (about 1.5 inches in diameter). Pop that cover off, and make sure it is filled with grease (high pressure lithium grease is ok). I believe the newer winch motors do not require lube.

You should also have the axle bearing lubed too. You probably have the EZ lube system, and can just pump grease into the zerk fittings until the old grease starts to come out the outer edge of the axle. Spin the tire while adding grease. Some people do not like this and pull and repack the bearings vs. using the EZ lube system. So far, I have had great luck using the EZ lube; however, this year, I will be pulling the bearing out and packing by hand. Just want to check the seals and bearings every two or three years for safety.

And if that rubber plug tears, you can purchase them on Amazon (but do they deliver to NZ but sure they can be found locally.? Not sure).

Also, when the roof is raised, you should carefully spray some "dry lube" on the upright posts to help keep them lubricated since sections slide into each other. I put a piece of cardboard behind the posts and spray with some Kent Moore dry lube;however, any type of dry lube will do.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:49 PM   #5

Welcome to the Forum Hankus.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2015 Rockwood HW296
2014 Silverado 1500 LTZ
W4NT3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:12 PM   #6

On thing to make sure off is to have the roof lowered when you put grease in the zerks under the trailer. If you fill it with the roof open when the springs go into the channel they will push the grease out the ends.

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 02:28 AM   #7

Thank you for the replies to my questions, I will now look at the modifications I will be making, not sure what they are but I know I will make some, I think its in the blood to change things around
Old 02-13-2015, 02:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankus View Post
Thank you for the replies to my questions, I will now look at the modifications I will be making, not sure what they are but I know I will make some, I think its in the blood to change things around
It's a guy thing my wife just can't understand.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:59 PM   #9

@F5moab do you how much 30w oil should be used in the conduit?
Old 02-28-2015, 08:24 AM   #10

I do about three to four squirts into each conduit.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frame, maintenance, vent