Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #1
Campin With Grammy & Papa

Support post for slide out

I asked in my "Leveling" post, but I think it would be better alone. Does anyone use or suggest the use of stabalizing/support posts under the slide out on my Rockwood HW277? I read that putting a post under slide outs extend their life, negating slide out sag and wobble in the trailer over all. This trailer is it for us, need to make it last forever. I'm thinking, can't hurt. Thank you, Scott
Scott n Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:25 PM   #2

I have always thought its a good idea. Unfortunatly, I have run out of storage space to store the extra leveling jack. Just be sure that your stabilizer jacks are set first before you try to support the slide out.

Oh yea, I also recommend replacing the stabilizer jacks with some heavy duty ones. It will probably run about 125-150 but we've done it and it greatly reduces the amount of rocking or movement of our teenage daughter flopping around every 5 minutes.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #3
Always Learning

Hopefully a manufacturer rep will chime in as each mfr's views differ on this topic. Most of what I have read says that the slide out floors aren't designed for the upward pressure. The trailer will shift around a little as you walk.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:14 PM   #4

All the manufacturers, I have read, do NOT want anything used under the slide out. If the main body of the unit shifts the wrong way, the slide out rack gear or cylinders could be bent out of alignment. The damage to the trailer will be a lot more $ than having the slide adjusted every 10 years. Our 2003 Potomac had the slide out all camping season for 8 years. No problems. This was the rack gear style. Just because some one sells it, does not make it a good idea. The slide out support posts are a throw back to the old hinged tip outs. If the trailer moved, the tip out would just tip in a little. No harm done. Lets camp
Old 02-16-2013, 09:28 PM   #5
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 ThunderRoad View Post
All the manufacturers, I have read, do NOT want anything used under the slide out.
I think I read that Open Range recommends them. ??
Old 02-16-2013, 10:03 PM   #6

Do they have a manual pull out type (no motor)?
Old 02-16-2013, 10:06 PM   #7

I've seen very few people use them.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:10 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Do they have a manual pull out type (no motor)?
Nope- but I read it online, so you know how accurate that can be.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Nope- but I read it online, so you know how accurate that can be.
I thought everything on the internet had to be true ......

Never used a slide support see a few people use them but very few.......... our last fifth wheel had the sofa & the dinette on one super slide. It was an 06 traded for a 13' Puma Toyhauler last summer. Saw no ill effects from not using one.......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:46 PM   #10

Quote:
All the manufacturers, I have read, do NOT want anything used under the slide out. If the main body of the unit shifts the wrong way, the slide out rack gear or cylinders could be bent out of alignment. The damage to the trailer will be a lot more $ than having the slide adjusted every 10 years. Our 2003 Potomac had the slide out all camping season for 8 years. No problems. This was the rack gear style. Just because some one sells it, does not make it a good idea. The slide out support posts are a throw back to the old hinged tip outs. If the trailer moved, the tip out would just tip in a little. No harm done. Lets camp
I searched this one also and found the same thing...most if not all say no support.

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:16 AM   #11

Our dealer recommended not using the supports. He said that if the trailer was to settle and the supports did not you would damage the tracks on the slide out. He said that the older trailers needed the extra support but the newer trailers had better slide systems. He also told be not to install a hitch to carry my bikes because it could cause the walls to crack at the corners of the slideout.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:39 AM   #12

If you properly mount a hitch receiver to the frame of the unit, I don't understand how the wall could crack at the slide opening. Our Sanibel has a hitch receiver on it from the factory.
Now if the receiver is the truck bumper add on, and you mounted it to the floor of the unit, I can see the problems from stress on the wood floor. lets camp
Old 02-17-2013, 02:06 PM   #13

Thanks everyone for the research and input to my question. It shall be carefully considered. Thanks again, Scott
Old 02-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #14
Site Team

slide out supports are a thing of the past, when they were called tipouts and were a new feature and had lots of growing pains.
the technology has improved to the point that every manufacturer i've seen, states NOT to use them. they are engineered to not need outside supports.

i would like to see where Open Range is recommending to use them. if they do, they're about the only company that does.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:40 PM   #15
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
i would like to see where Open Range is recommending to use them. if they do, they're about the only company that does.
Innocence shattered- the Internet was wrong (gasp! choke! gargle!):
"OPEN RANGE RV COMPANY does NOT require or suggest blocking, supports, jacks, etc., to be used under slide outs during extended normal use."

http://www.openrangerv.com/PDFs/2010...OM-DEC2010.pdf
Old 02-18-2013, 08:54 AM   #16

[QUOTE]If you properly mount a hitch receiver to the frame of the unit, I don't understand how the wall could crack at the slide opening. Our Sanibel has a hitch receiver on it from the factory.
Now if the receiver is the truck bumper add on, and you mounted it to the floor of the unit, I can see the problems from stress on the wood floor.[QUOTE]

Many trailers have had damaged done by installing a hitch to the frame. The new trailers are light weight and are not engineered to have the extra stress put on the frame. There are many discussions about this on the site.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #17
daydreaming about camping

having owned the same model, let me say, I don't think a slide support is necessary. The slide hardware is very heavy for the size of the small slide you get on these Pups.

And after crawling around under mine quite a bit, I would not weld to the frame for anything.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:55 PM   #18

Thank you all. The genesis of this question was because when we picked up our trailer there was a steel rod about 18 inches long in it. The dealer did not know what it is for. (My wife hits me with it, I'm horribly abused). I was concerned that it was some type of support rod. I have looked everywhere and can find no place for it. But it does come in handy around camp. (I have a teenage son) Thanks again for the research and care you have taken on my behalf. Scott
Old 02-23-2013, 07:30 PM   #19
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
If you properly mount a hitch receiver to the frame of the unit, I don't understand how the wall could crack at the slide opening. Our Sanibel has a hitch receiver on it from the factory.
Now if the receiver is the truck bumper add on, and you mounted it to the floor of the unit, I can see the problems from stress on the wood floor. lets camp
The short answer is increased frame flex in ultra-lite campers. The extra torque from the bike rack can twist the frame and crack the more ridged sandwich wall material.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #20
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott n Jo View Post
Thank you all. The genesis of this question was because when we picked up our trailer there was a steel rod about 18 inches long in it. The dealer did not know what it is for. (My wife hits me with it, I'm horribly abused). I was concerned that it was some type of support rod. I have looked everywhere and can find no place for it. But it does come in handy around camp. (I have a teenage son) Thanks again for the research and care you have taken on my behalf. Scott
Does the rod look like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flex Drive Tool.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	24689  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote