Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2015, 09:21 PM   #1

Swing level drain hose cracked

We have a one year old Rockwood 2318G with a swing level galley. The unit has been quite good for us, however, after a recent weekend trip some water was noticed on the ground near the low point drains. Didn't think too much of it as we had just drained the tank, etc. Last weekend involved a closer look and the culprit turned out to be a crack in the flexible drain hose on the p-trap end. Since the flexible hose was long enough that it forms a second p-trap when the galley is the up position I just cut off the 2" where the crack was, reinstalled the fitting and tightened down the two clamps as much as possible. Unfortunately, there is still a very minor leak where the hose is connected to the fitting. The connection to the adapter does not seem to be the best design and there is some dried glue (not quite sure) on the barbed fitting to make the hose and adapter fit better. Has anyone replaced the flexible hose or fitting with a better design? The barbed fitting is threaded on the other end and screws into one side of the p-trap. Any suggestions or guidance would be greatly appreciated. I'll try to post some pictures if the weather cooperates this weekend.

Thanks,

Metadifluoro

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

2015 Rockwood 2318G
TV: 2011 Toyota Sienna LE
Metadifluoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:02 AM   #2
Site Team

Pictures will help. I replaced the hose on one once. I got some very flexible Tygon tubing and it worked great. It's soft enough to seal on the fittings really well also.
Old 10-25-2015, 12:29 PM   #3

Hello,

The weather was nice enough to put the roof up today and take some pictures.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1445793471.257620.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	92805

One view of the p-trap side of the flexible hose that runs from the sink, to the trap, and then out the side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1445793622.414639.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	92806

Closeup view of connection of flexible hose to barbed fitting, then into ABS.

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1445793721.356987.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	92807

View from the access port showing the pink antifreeze residing in the "p-trap" formed by the hose when the galley is up, in the use position. The natural "p-trap" is normally a little bigger, but ~2 inches was removed because of the crack mentioned above.

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1445793914.748168.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	92808

This is the sink side, which appears to be the same type of connection, but not such an issue because the water flows from the barbed adaptor into the hose.

The leaky connection is the one going into the barbed adaptor, before the p-trap. Any suggestions would be most welcome. It is quite difficult to tighten the clamps enough to stop the leak as the hose is flexible, but has all the ridges in it.

Thanks,

Metadifluoro

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

2015 Rockwood 2318G
TV: 2011 Toyota Sienna LE
Metadifluoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:34 PM   #4
Site Team

It may be better to try spring loaded radiator hose type clamps. They will stay tight through the bending and flexing.

Tags
drain