Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2012, 07:57 AM   #1

Take down

Any suggestions on taking down our tent trailer in the rain or snow? We have a Mac 228D and when everything is unzipped the inside is totally exposed to the outside elements. As the weather has changed here in Idaho it would help if we got a reply.

Thanks
motcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:35 AM   #2

take it down just like normal,... once the weather has moved thru, you'll have to open it up and air it out to dry out the fabric. If raining really heavy and if your vehicle has room, you might be able to shuttle the mattress pads to the vehicle and keep them mostly dry.

Option 2,... stay camping for another day/night :-)
SchafferFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:26 PM   #3

If the fabric is wet then dry it off the best you can before take down with a towel. Open up the camper when you get home and leave it up as long as it takes to fully dry the fabric. The last thing you want is mold/mildew in the camper.

I just got back from camping in New Hampshire last week and It had rained as well as a substaintial coating of leaves from the fall. I opened it up at home and only took several hours to dry since I dried it first with the towels and broom for the leaves.

1 more thing. Close all the windows so water doesnt leak thru the screens while closed. Your bed ends may get some moisture on the edges but that will dry too once opened. You may also want to run the furnace on high while set up if its not hot in your area to speed things up.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #4

When my wife and I had our tent trailer, I started keeping a chamois in the trailer for those times. I then did the same thing when we traded up to a hybrid. They soak up the water much better than a towel. I still recommend following others suggestions though that you should open it back up and let it dry well once you return home. Two weeks ago, we just upgraded again to a full travel trailer so we don't have to deal with that any more, but I still have my chamois in the new trailer as it is great for wiping off other wet things like chairs and stuff. Highly recommend having one in your trailer.
rockin'ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #5

Sham~WOW pack at Wallyworld! They might not be everything they are described. But for the price and the ease of use when camping you can't beat them! Get home throw them in the washer and then dryer and back into camper! They last forever!
Firefighter938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #6

One thing I recommend if you have a slide out to push that in last. Noticed a few times that the bed ends were getting caught on the slide out canvas and really close to being torn. So now it goes in last and most the canvas get put on the bed.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:02 AM   #7

thank you to all who replied to our post. We purchased vinyl mattress covers that we slip over the bunk for take down. I keeps the water off the mattresses and somewhat protects them. I don't unzip entirely if the weather is wet at takedown and we use Shamwows to dry the interior if wet.

Again thanks to all..
motcrew is offline   Reply With Quote