Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2015, 07:47 AM   #1

tankless water heater

Has anyone tried using a tankless water heater on their pop up? Ours came with a 6 gal traditional heater but I've been looking at the tankless kind as a replacement. We could use some extra storage space and endless hot water sounds amazing.
wsievers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:56 AM   #2

I've not done this but u could look in FR Tech Talk I've read people with TT and 5ers have done this mon. If I ever have to replace mine I'll be looking into it
kinma13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:13 AM   #3

I have had one in my garage for years. Don't know the brand. But it was a 120V unit with easy install. However, summer or winter all you got was warm water. Never hot. Warm enough to do some light dishwashing or hand cleaning. A normal HW tank will easily provide 125 to 140 deg water. MY guess is this will do 110 at best.
Jim Schings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:02 PM   #4

I have never put one on any of mine but I did install one on a TT for a friend to set up at a hunting camp. They were unhappy as the water never got really hot and would get cold . I ended up installing a small residential HW heater instead.
nineoaks2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:23 AM   #5

I have have a residential one on my house and I'm super happy with it. It takes up much less space and having 5 people in the house, a 40 gal conventional w/h would not provide enough hot water for each of us to take a reasonable shower. I like that idea for the camper but I would like to know if anyone else out there has done it before I decide to completely remove the old one.
wsievers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:22 AM   #6

The problem with a on demand water heater is they have to reduce the flow of water so it can be heated in a small amount of space . When it comes times for repair it is very costly .this hold true in the rv industry and the home industry .
Old 08-08-2015, 08:25 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsievers View Post
endless hot water sounds amazing.
Unless you are at places where you don't have full sewer hookups. That grey water tank can fill up quickly....and you can't just dump it out on the ground.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:02 AM   #8

Well endless hot water does sound good!! Search "Girard" on these forums. Many have had issues with these in our RV's - myself included.

I would gladly take a 6 or 10 gallon tank heater rather than the Girard I have. Just can find a good place to installed it.

But just research it. May be the thing of the future but I feel they don't quite have it perfected yet.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 04:01 PM   #9
Site Team

if i'm not mistaken, a most tankless water heaters require 110v AC.
having read about any propane ones.

so, you'd have to have electric hookups. and having owned popups for 17 years, we never camped anywhere that had hookups.

personally, i would never have one of these. it limits where you can camp.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 04:24 PM   #10

Most run off of 12 volt and propane, so electricity is not an issue, but someplace to put all the water from a long shower could be.
RV and Trailer - PrecisionTemp
http://greenrvproducts.com/wp-conten...H-1M-FLYER.pdf
banda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, tank, tankless, water, water heater