Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2017, 03:09 AM   #1

Tent pop canvas

I would like a pop up tent camper like a Rockwood or a Flagstaff but am afraid about having to clean the canvas and waterproofing the canvas material. I am afraid it is too hard or messing up cleaning and waterproofing or if the canvas just grows mildew all the time. Are pop up tent campers hard to own and cleaning them and waterproofing them hard to do or something that you have to do every minute. Can anyone give me their opinion on owning a tent camper and is it a great thing to invest in for camping. So they leak alit because they have tent canvas? I am used to camping in a tent but wanted to step up to a pop up camper. Thanks for all your advice !!

Chris
creed227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 04:48 AM   #2
Site Team

you shouldn't need to waterproof popup canvas. that's old school stuff before modern vinylized canvas.

yes, popups will require some extra maintenance since you have to eventually dry out the tent ends to prevent mold or mildew.
since you're in Arizona, this shouldn't be a concern for you.
we owned two popups over a 15 year period. never had any issues with the canvas.

you should look at getting a set of Popup Gizmos. you should be able to get a good used popup to start with, since popups are often the first RV people start with and soon move up to bigger trailers.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:43 PM   #3

Go for it ! Pop ups are great beginner trailers. They don't suffer from the problems of early canvas. Just set them up and let them dry out as soon as possible !
Old 12-11-2017, 04:46 PM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I agree with the two before me.
Go for it. You'll figure it out in short order.
Every style of R/V has some kind of maintenance that need done.
Learn and ENJOY!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:12 PM   #5
Scoundrel

I owned a pop up for 10 years. No leaks ever and no such thing as water proofing as stated above. Its nice to have heat and be up off the ground. Easy to tow.

Go for it.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:31 PM   #6

Had my popup for 20 years. Never a leak. Never cleaned anything, either.

Just need to make sure the canvas is dry before you put it away. If you have to close up wet, open and dry as soon as possible.

I think in our 20 yrs, we only closed up once or twice wet. Sometimes we had to "change our plans" depending on the weather, either leaving early or staying an extra day, in order to beat any rain.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 07:09 PM   #7

Tent pop canvas

We purchased our Rookwood Premier pop-up in 2015. It does require some work but that’s what makes it fun. So many things you can do to upgrade and customize with little cost. We love our pup and have not had any leaks from the canvass. We did purchase the Gizmos, it has not been hot enough to to gage things yet, but it did cut down the light coming in during the early morning ours.

My wife wants to upgrade (not happening anytime soon) I love this thing! Plus I would need to upgrade to a truck and the kids are getting older and are not that enthused as much to go camping. So I really don’t see a need to upgrade until Im not willing to do the set up anymore or my wife gives me an ultimatum.
Amartin453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:24 PM   #8

We moved from a PUP to an A-frame because trips were shorter duration (weekend trips) and the kids rarely camp with us anymore. The easier and faster set up of the A-frame suits us very well for spur-of-the-moment weekend trips. Weights are about the same as the PUP (tows nicely with our minivan).

Disadvantage is less floor space when set up because the bunk is inside the box. Other disadvantage is there is at most sleeping space for 3. The kids use a tent when they camp with us.

Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:47 PM   #9

Rain or manual washing with water keeps off most soils, and twice a year I completely detail and wax the entire Hybrid, but maintaining and cleaning the roof, exterior walls, slide-out seals, and the underside frame take much more of my effort and time than the pop-out fabrics. We spent 10 years in a pop-up and have been enjoying our Roo 21SS for three years so far. For us, a hard-wall camper or A-frame would remove the "camping" part of RV'ing.
Velosprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:51 PM   #10
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
As you can see in my signature, we had ours a very long time, shy of 30 years. Never had any trouble with the canvas/vynl. The heat and sun in Arizona is brutal. We kept ours covered with a tarp or under a shade structure while we owned it. Still had a nice shine and nearly flawless when we sold it....to the first person that saw it. We finally were able to afford the fifth wheel. Most out there "graduate" sooner....lol. Our family of 3 kids have some fond memories! We were all sad to see it go. But....the shower, 'fridge....comfort....aaaaahhhhhhhhh!
Have fun!
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by creed227 View Post
I would like a pop up tent camper like a Rockwood or a Flagstaff but am afraid about having to clean the canvas and waterproofing the canvas material. I am afraid it is too hard or messing up cleaning and waterproofing or if the canvas just grows mildew all the time. Are pop up tent campers hard to own and cleaning them and waterproofing them hard to do or something that you have to do every minute. Can anyone give me their opinion on owning a tent camper and is it a great thing to invest in for camping. So they leak alit because they have tent canvas? I am used to camping in a tent but wanted to step up to a pop up camper. Thanks for all your advice !!

Chris

You are worrying too much, although I worry a lot too.

Just don’t put it away wet. If you do, open it up and dry it ASAP. Wash the vinyl literally once or twice a year with just water and a super soft long handle brush and you are good. I don’t even use soap. I spoke with the engineer that made the vinyl portion of the camper and that is what he recommended. Usually half way through the season and as a winterizing chore.

I do rub the seams with a candle when it’s popped up on a really hot day, but that’s really it and it literally takes a few minutes.

On the other hand, if you put it away really wet and don’t open it.........you got a big mess.

I have left campgrounds a day early if it was sure to be pouring the next day and I did not have time or place to open it back up for a few days as another poster mentioned. Putting up a pop up or taking it down in the rain is definitely a con, but there are a lot of pros as well.

Not much is nicer than having a 360 open view around you as you wake or sit in your camper. Besides the obvious storage and mileage advantages, that is my favorite part of owning it.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:56 AM   #12

When we had a pop-up it was minimum maint. We had it 2 years and I might have cleaned the canvas once. We always opened it up after a trip to ensure it was dry. That was it. We sold it as we quickly tired of the noise caused by any breeze making the canvas pop. Hard to get any sleep in a windy area like ours.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:47 AM   #13

I wash mine with Murphy's Oil Soap about once a year. When I got it there was some water stains on the side window closures on the bunk ends. I cleaned that up and waterproofed with 303 Fabric Guard. Easy and worked well.
cabranch47 is offline   Reply With Quote