Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2015, 01:41 AM   #1

Thermostat problem

Camping this weekend and it's been quite cold at night, warranting the furnace to run. Setting the thermostat doesn't click, nor does the fan turn on. Fuse panel and breaker panel is good.

Doing a quick google search, it appears the "anticipator" is at fault. So I moved it around and suddenly we have heat again, wife is overjoyed and saved the trip. Now that presents a new problem, the thermostat doesn't turn off once the temperature setting is met. The thermostat will turn off the furnace when moving the dial to off making heating a manual process instead of cycling to maintain temp.

So I guessing the thermostat is faulty, right? It's under warrantee and probably should hold FR to it, but if it's a cheap fix, I might just go for replacement, possibly a digital one.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Anyone converted to a digital thermostat and is it an improvement?

Cheers
Dan

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Fishhawk1650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 02:02 AM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

I have not had any issue with the heat not working but we have converted to digital in our pop up and both trailers. Not sure if it made the heating better but it did make life easier with setting temps whether using the programming feature or not.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 02:25 AM   #3
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhawk1650 View Post
So I guessing the thermostat is faulty, right? It's under warrantee and probably should hold FR to it, but if it's a cheap fix, I might just go for replacement, possibly a digital one.
Dan, you don't say so I'll assume you're dealing with a Coleman-Mach manual thermostat. Or am I off base?

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 03:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Camping this weekend and it's been quite cold at night, warranting the furnace to run. Setting the thermostat doesn't click, nor does the fan turn on. Fuse panel and breaker panel is good.

Doing a quick google search, it appears the "anticipator" is at fault. So I moved it around and suddenly we have heat again, wife is overjoyed and saved the trip. Now that presents a new problem, the thermostat doesn't turn off once the temperature setting is met. The thermostat will turn off the furnace when moving the dial to off making heating a manual process instead of cycling to maintain temp.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Anyone converted to a digital thermostat and is it an improvement?

Cheers
Dan

That was a good catch, I had HVAC mech. that worked for me that wouldn't have figured that out being that most stats nowadays are digital. You would like a digital stat much better being they are all just about plus or minus 1 degree. The heat anticipator tells your stat when to shut off. Digital do not have that. For around $30.00 you can get one might be cheaper then going to your dealer and they would replace it with the same junk. Just remember to get one with 12v battery back-up because that is what will run your stat. Good Luck, I think you will be much happier. Remember to plug the whole in the wall from the wires so you will get a true reading of your unit temp......

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:00 AM   #5

FWIW. As the name suggests the heat anticipatory does what is suggests. It puts a small amount of false heat in the stat to anticipate the target temp as to not run over. As far as I know all stats have a provision for that. They also have a cooling anticipatory.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 07:02 AM   #6

Thanks for the info, great stuff. I'm really sorry to not have mentioned, but it's a Suburban mechanical thermostat with no mercury.

Sounds like digital is in the near future :-)

Old 05-22-2015, 07:03 AM   #7

Ok. I'm very interested in going digital but don't know anything about t stats for pups. Where and what would I get one? Or is it the same as a house Stat other then the 12v backup?
kinma13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinma13 View Post
Ok. I'm very interested in going digital but don't know anything about t stats for pups. Where and what would I get one? Or is it the same as a house Stat other then the 12v backup?
Do a search on the forum there are all differnt models people have used. Save some money and don't get a programable one. (unless you live in your pup)...

Old 05-22-2015, 11:03 AM   #9

My only(semi-experienced) advice is to NOT BUY Hunter brand stats... seen several failures over the years...failed to heat on.. not good. Honeywell is never a bad choice
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:28 PM   #10
Just a member

Quote:
Thanks for the info, great stuff. I'm really sorry to not have mentioned, but it's a Suburban mechanical thermostat with no mercury.

Sounds like digital is in the near future :-)
Roger that. Our Coleman-Mach worked the same way... for about two months. Could have had it replaced under warranty but decided to install the old LUX T500 programmable thermostat we had sitting in the basement collecting dust. It's about 18 years old now but has worked perfectly for the last three years. Simple install too.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 04:23 AM   #11

Fishhawk1650, Go to a home depot store and get a Honeywell Model # RTH111B non programmable, it should work out find for your pup. Should cost around $30.00 bucks or so.....Shut off all power including disconnect from battery to be safe. The worst you can do is blow a 15 amp fuse so have one handy to. You will not be using some wires so tape them up so it won't short on you. You will have to pick what speed you want high or low, you will lose one speed to me no big deal. I just use low anyway makes it a little quieter.

Old 05-24-2015, 02:19 PM   #12

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm hoping to get a replacement that fits in the same little inset box that houses the existing one. Rough measurements were 3.75" wide and 4.75" tall.

I'll post here if I find a vertical thermostat that fits.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:30 AM   #13

Looks like this will fit snugly by 1/16 to spare vertically
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H6ARNXO/...I3PFX1NMRHJTS4

Old 05-25-2015, 11:40 AM   #14

Let us know how it fits!

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Looks like this will fit snugly by 1/16 to spare vertically
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H6ARNXO/...I3PFX1NMRHJTS4

Fishawk1650, it say's it heat only will NOT RUN THE A/C...

Old 05-25-2015, 08:12 PM   #16

Correct, the thermostat controls only the furnace with one fan speed. The AC is controlled by the knobs on the panel mounted on the ceiling.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:20 PM   #17

I installed the Honeywell digital heat only thermostat. Careful measuring and it will fit just perfect. Mount it a little bit lower as you will need to access the battery compartment by lifting up on the bottom of the t/stat.
MohicanJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:24 PM   #18

Good point about that. Was a little concerned about having clearance to detach the face plate for battery swap. Will have to plan accordingly :-)

It's on order, should arrive in a few days
Old 05-25-2015, 09:14 PM   #19

Wondering if having it inserted into the little black pocket affects the operation. Would it be better to mount to a plate or thin piece of wood and over the little black pocket?

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 06-07-2015, 09:44 AM   #20

Quote:
Good point about that. Was a little concerned about having clearance to detach the face plate for battery swap. Will have to plan accordingly :-)

It's on order, should arrive in a few days
Did you get it? Did it fit ok?
Thanks,

Tags
thermostat