Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2014, 10:00 PM   #1

Thinking about adding second battery

We purchased a Rockwood 2514g this spring, and we are taking a trip to Wyoming this summer, with lots of dry camping. We are thinking about adding a second battery for more storage, but I had a couple of questions. First, can the built in charger have enough punch to charge both batteries? Is there a better way to wire them up, one is just straight parallel fine? Is the extra tongue weight a real issue if you are pulling with a 1/2 ton truck? Anything else I'm not considering?

Thanks in advance!
cousin_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:11 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousin_eddie View Post
We purchased a Rockwood 2514g this spring, and we are taking a trip to Wyoming this summer, with lots of dry camping. We are thinking about adding a second battery for more storage, but I had a couple of questions. First, can the built in charger have enough punch to charge both batteries? Is there a better way to wire them up, one is just straight parallel fine? Is the extra tongue weight a real issue if you are pulling with a 1/2 ton truck? Anything else I'm not considering?

Thanks in advance!
The built in converter should be fine.

There are rules to building battery banks for longest battery life.

The goal is for the resistance path through each battery to be as identical as possible. Interconnecting wires exactly the same size and length, battery manufacture, size, in service date, number of charge discharge cycles, etc must be the same.

Battery banks are always replaced as a set for that reason. Adding a brand new battery to an old one will kill the new one as it will cycle far more often.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Parralell Connections.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	322.4 KB
ID:	54355   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050817.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	54357  
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: pdf How to correctly interconnect multiple batteries to form one larger bank.pdf (106.1 KB, 77 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:53 PM   #3

The battery we have was new less than 3 weeks ago, and hasn't really even been cycled yet, so I'm not going to replace it. The second one will be identical to it.

Thanks for the hook up tips! That is kinda how I thought it should be, but wasn't sure. Now I just need to find someone to make me some heavy cables.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousin_eddie View Post

Thanks for the hook up tips! That is kinda how I thought it should be, but wasn't sure. Now I just need to find someone to make me some heavy cables.
We did the same thing - added a second, identical 12v battery when we took delivery of the camper. Very pleased with it. Here is a source for pre-made cables if you want to go that route...

McMaster-Carr

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:36 PM   #5

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1402799747.679409.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	880.5 KB
ID:	55265 second battery installed!!
Old 06-14-2014, 09:47 PM   #6

Nice. So, where in WY? I'll be up there the first part of July; west of Cody.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:22 PM   #7

Eventually we will end up in Yellowstone. Going to spend some time in SD as well, checking out the sights.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:55 PM   #8

Yea, I'll be in Yellowstone, but spending quite a bit of time in their headquarters in Mammoth Hot Springs area. Also in Cody and down in Lander BLM offices for a while. (Actually thinking of moving up to northwestern WY.)

Camping in the Wapiti campground, between Cody and Yellowstone's east entrance/exit.
Highly recommend a drive down Hwy 212, beartooth parkway, from the northwest entrance/exit to Yellowstone down into Red Lodge MT.

It's a great place, you'll love it. If hiking, take bear spray. I can vouch that it works.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:34 AM   #9

How did you get the battery mounted to the frame? I have a 2560g and it looks similar. I'd like to do the same. Thanks!
Chef9375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:48 AM   #10

I ran two strips of 3" x 1/4" flat stock between the two angle iron supports under the battery box. Drilled a 1/4" hole in each corner, through all 3 pieces, and then ran a bolt through. The factory one is only mounted with two drill screws, so mine is mounted a lot more secure.

Tags
battery