Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2017, 08:30 AM   #21

For what it's worth and a FYI, we purchased a Palomino Y4124 popup in the fall of 2009 and traded it in on a hybrid a year later. I had one spot of the fiberglass starting to spider crack where it is bent over the radius at the front. I know a person who purchased a smaller Palomino around the same time from the same dealer who still has it, and whom I see at a campground a couple of times a year. He had his roof completly replaced 4 times between 09 and around 2013, not only for the hairline cracking but the start of delamination on two of the occasions and it looked just like some of the pictures in this thread. At the time he was told all those roofs were being built in one plant and then shipped to the individual brands factory.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:33 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
For what it's worth and a FYI, we purchased a Palomino Y4124 popup in the fall of 2009 and traded it in on a hybrid a year later. I had one spot of the fiberglass starting to spider crack where it is bent over the radius at the front. I know a person who purchased a smaller Palomino around the same time from the same dealer who still has it, and whom I see at a campground a couple of times a year. He had his roof completly replaced 4 times between 09 and around 2013, not only for the hairline cracking but the start of delamination on two of the occasions and it looked just like some of the pictures in this thread. At the time he was told all those roofs were being built in one plant and then shipped to the individual brands factory.
Wow!!,,,very interesting. Starting to sound like the ABS roof issues Coleman had.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:00 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CundiffClan View Post
Wow!!,,,very interesting. Starting to sound like the ABS roof issues Coleman had.

Why did you mention that? I had spent many a day a few years back with my mason jar of MEK and ABS pellets..I can still smell the stuff........man did that suck. Even with the ABS roof issues if all of these manufacturers would build things even half as good as Coleman did before Fleetwood came into the mix, we all would be better off
Old 01-24-2017, 05:31 AM   #24

Quote:
Why did you mention that? I had spent many a day a few years back with my mason jar of MEK and ABS pellets..I can still smell the stuff........man did that suck. Even with the ABS roof issues if all of these manufacturers would build things even half as good as Coleman did before Fleetwood came into the mix, we all would be better off
I agree with Coleman and even Fleetwood quality. I used to have a Fleetwood and there a lot of things IMO that had superior build quality to other manufacturers. I mentioned ABS because it seems that a large majority of ABS roofs I've seen on the campers off craigslist or in person have had some kind of roof cracking or delamination. My neighbor a few doors down has one sitting in his garage that has been coming apart for years.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:42 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CundiffClan View Post
I'm sure these dealers and Forest River are aware of roof problems or some kind of quality control issue. Just seeing members post with similar roof problems would suggest it. My biggest reason for wanting to know is I'm debating shelling out $800 for a bullet liner spray on the roof and don't want to do it if the entire structure would eventually come apart underneath.
I'm thinking of Grizzly Grip cause it gets some great reviews on other forums basically dedicated to popups. Estimating the cost at about $300.00 and I can roll it on or spray it on.

Since I figure I will keep this trailer until the wheels fall off, a tree falls on it, the two feet of snow sitting on the roof crushes through or whoever inherits all my stuff has to sell or junk, this will be the way I will go.

I'll re-caulk the delamination areas, and probably place some Enternabond tape over it then roll or spray on the Grizzly grip.

I looked at the two big companies; Line X and Rhino, and locally, the only company that will do a popup trailer roof is Line X and they give an estimate of $1000.00.

Considering the money I already put into the trailer such as Trimetric meter, new heavier strength springs/shackles, new self-adjusting and larger brakes, all exterior LED lights, new roof cable and manual winch, rims/tires, I do not want to spend much more to keep it on the road.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:48 AM   #26

Quote:
That is probably correct, since they are all owned by Forest River and that would keep the manufacturing costs down on popups. I believe they are all (in the past years) Fiberglass vacuum bonded radius roofs.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 03:27 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
That is probably correct, since they are all owned by Forest River and that would keep the manufacturing costs down on popups. I believe they are all (in the past years) Fiberglass vacuum bonded radius roofs.
Come to think of it, while he was going through those roof replacements, twice they sent new roofs to the dealer and it turned out they did not fit correctly. Not sure whose fault that was but I know the dealer well and would be surprised if it was him. He was quite an unhappy camper for those few years. I am surprised he has not dumped the thing by now but he is one of those guys that is totally anal when it comes to washing, waxing, maintaining etc. The damn thing does look brand new despite being an 09 or 10 and stored outside.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:41 PM   #28

So after reading this post I quickly realized that I had a roof delamination issue going on with my 2016 Rockwood Premier 2516G. So I shot an email to FR directly and received a quick response back asking for some pictures. Upon sending the pics, I received another email within minutes saying to take it to a FR dealer for replacement. This will be my next hurdle! Anyone know of a trustworthy dealer on the east coast of Florida in the Palm Beach/ Treasure coast area? I purchased my camper at Lazy Days in Tampa and don't want to travel 4 hours unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks
Amartin453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 04:42 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr havercamp View Post
come to think of it, while he was going through those roof replacements, twice they sent new roofs to the dealer and it turned out they did not fit correctly. Not sure whose fault that was but i know the dealer well and would be surprised if it was him. He was quite an unhappy camper for those few years. I am surprised he has not dumped the thing by now but he is one of those guys that is totally anal when it comes to washing, waxing, maintaining etc. The damn thing does look brand new despite being an 09 or 10 and stored outside.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1839.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	224.7 KB
ID:	133064Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1844.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	335.5 KB
ID:	133065
Old 03-30-2017, 02:41 PM   #30

not EPDM coating?

I didn't see anyone mention the coatings by Dicor or Liquid Roof (or I missed it). Are those coatings garbage, in favor of bed liner sprays?
Old 03-31-2017, 01:53 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUPJake View Post
I didn't see anyone mention the coatings by Dicor or Liquid Roof (or I missed it). Are those coatings garbage, in favor of bed liner sprays?

We used Liquid Roof on a past camper slide roof

Great product - easy to work with

that camper (a 1995 Dutchmen) is still being used today with Liquid Roof still working fine - we applied it about 6 years ago
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:43 AM   #32

Thoughts on Roof - Damage?

Update:

Forrest River sent the new roof to a reputable authorized dealer not to far from where I lived in lieu of traveling 4 hours to the dealer I purchased it from. They had the job done in 5 days, not and to my surprise they did an excellent job even replacing some additional electrical components.

Very happy so far, if it happens again Im doing Line-X or Rhino Lining.

Tags
roo, roof