Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2017, 05:24 PM   #1

Thoughts on Roof - Damage?

Hi All,
I posted these pictures on pop up portal as well. Wanted to get your thoughts on what this could be. 2013 NTU Rockwood Premier. One corner of the roof appears to have rippling. The roof isn't soft nor does it feel like it's delaminating. Also a strange crack in front middle portion of the roof but it's not leaking. I saw one other member on another forum with very similar damage on his roof getting a replacement but haven't heard back on possible cause. Almost appears to be some kind of previous stress on the roof. Of course Forest River said I need a new roof but won't give any idea as to why. Thoughts????

Old 01-18-2017, 05:33 PM   #2

Good luck in getting it fixed. I had the dealer confirm my 2012 was delaminating while still under the five year roof warranty, but could not get forest river to warranty, and finally the dealer; Robert sales, gave up and now never answers my emails.

I at least thought the dealer was better than this.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 05:57 PM   #3

F5Moab- I saw your roof pictures on one of your posts. Looked like you had some of that raised cracking. Is that delamination? Has it gotten worse? Any ideas what caused?
Old 01-18-2017, 07:57 PM   #4

Hasn't gotten any worse that I can tell since it has been buried under a foot or more of snow for a month or two. I did seal it up with some dicor before winter hit; so hopefully, there is no leakage onto the wood. I'll find out in the spring.

What causes it? I'm thinking it is bad workmanship at the FR assembly line that makes the roofs. Dealer also stated it was delamination and FR "should" cover it.

However, I gave up writing the dealer and receiving no answer. So I figure in the spring, I'll put a coating of a truck liner on it and see how that works. I have read some great recommendations for Grizzly Grip on another forum.

I've given up with both the dealer and FR and if I get another trailer, I'll make sure it is not a FR product. I would say I would stay away from Roberts Sales too; however, they only sell FR so that will be a given.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 01-19-2017, 01:24 PM   #5

I had a small slashcaused by a tree branch. I took a knife and created a slit then worked a piece of riffing patch under it and glued the patch to the roof. Next I glued the top of the patch and pressed the roofing down onto the patch. After the roofing glue dried I spread riffing glue on top. Been five years and no leak.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 01:25 PM   #6

Fiberglass Roof Wrinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Hasn't gotten any worse that I can tell since it has been buried under a foot or more of snow for a month or two. I did seal it up with some dicor before winter hit; so hopefully, there is no leakage onto the wood. I'll find out in the spring.

What causes it? I'm thinking it is bad workmanship at the FR assembly line that makes the roofs. Dealer also stated it was delamination and FR "should" cover it.

However, I gave up writing the dealer and receiving no answer. So I figure in the spring, I'll put a coating of a truck liner on it and see how that works. I have read some great recommendations for Grizzly Grip on another forum.

I've given up with both the dealer and FR and if I get another trailer, I'll make sure it is not a FR product. I would say I would stay away from Roberts Sales too; however, they only sell FR so that will be a given.
Found the a similar condition on my Georgetown fiberglass roof ater I had had it a few months. But mine was a wrinkle or crease. I did not pursue any corrective action. Perhaps I should have but, I put al bead of roof sealant along the wrinkle which has held up fine and I and have had no leakage. The fiberglass seems pretty stiff compared to a rubber roof and, so far, there are no signs of delamination.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 03:00 PM   #7

Hikerjohn do you have any photos?
Old 01-20-2017, 09:48 AM   #8

I also have the same ripple on my 2318's roof. No cracks yet. I'm keeping a eye on it. Check it in the spring after i take the cover off. I just thought it was a normal occurrence.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:37 PM   #9

Not Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CundiffClan View Post
Hikerjohn do you have any photos?
I'll take on an send it in.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 04:03 PM   #10

I had an interior ripple on my 2016 228BHSE. The dealership was able to get FR to agree to replace not only the top but the complete lifting system as well since it was having issues due to bad welding at the junction between the winch cable and the cables going to the top itself. Yes the repair took a few months waiting on FR to send the replacement top but the dealership (Lone Star in Houston) was fantastic in getting the pup back quickly once the items were received.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160716_081615.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	218.5 KB
ID:	128353  
donc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:49 PM   #11

Donc Glad to hear you are getting a replacement Unfortunately I'm not the original owner. Campfire Joe that's interesting to hear, notice you have a 2013 also. Love to see your pictures if you get a chance
Old 01-21-2017, 09:31 PM   #12

For any cracks or holes, I would use marine epoxy. It dries up rock hard, stays white, doesnt shrink. The roof ripples seems not to be water damage. Looks like something was placed or hit hard. Does it seem like just the skin? Or does it seem the whole roof material is warped?

Dutchmen
Dutchmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchmen View Post
For any cracks or holes, I would use marine epoxy. It dries up rock hard, stays white, doesnt shrink. The roof ripples seems not to be water damage. Looks like something was placed or hit hard. Does it seem like just the skin? Or does it seem the whole roof material is warped?

Dutchmen
It seems like just the skin. I don't think it's water damage as the ripples are hard to the touch and will move a little but only if I press down hard. I've taken the tent material off and examined the inside of the entire roof and did not find any staining or soft wood. I looked at what seems to be the long crack with a magnifying glass and the fiberglass is still solid. I've sent several pictures to Forest River but other than telling me I need a new roof, they won't tell me why they think so after repeated emails. It very well could be something heavy was placed on top. Camper was garage kept (according to owners) so no telling what was set up there. If it is a defective roof I hope it's like some of the others here and doesn't get any worse.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:46 PM   #14

I purchased my 2016 Rockwood Premier 2516G in August 2015. I recently waxed the roof and noticed similar scares. I thought it was just the material used or some imperfection, I guess not!

Im pretty sure I'm still under warranty so I'll have to get it looked out before it becomes a bigger issue.
Amartin453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartin453 View Post
I purchased my 2016 Rockwood Premier 2516G in August 2015. I recently waxed the roof and noticed similar scares. I thought it was just the material used or some imperfection, I guess not!

Im pretty sure I'm still under warranty so I'll have to get it looked out before it becomes a bigger issue.
I would say you are definitely under warranty if you are the original purchaser. I hope you don't have the same problems F5moab had. Can you post some pictures and please keep us updated as to what dealer/Forest River says.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:01 PM   #16

I just put it away so give me a couple of days and I'll post some pics.
Amartin453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 08:32 PM   #17

Thoughts on Roof - Damage?

I had the same interior rippling as Donc and also had exterior damage on my 2017 HW 276. FR sent my dealer a new roof and it's with the dealer getting replaced.
Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1485134905.474277.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  54.4 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1485134940.577782.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  56.4 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1485134972.148150.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  55.1 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1485134994.285652.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  61.6 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1485135029.341788.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  60.0 KB
I have pictures of two other areas with cracks but I figured everyone gets the idea. These are low res pics but you should be able to expand them to view.
OttieJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Donc Glad to hear you are getting a replacement Unfortunately I'm not the original owner. Campfire Joe that's interesting to hear, notice you have a 2013 also. Love to see your pictures if you get a chance
cunddiff, yes i do have a 2013, but it's a 2318g, looks like yours is a 2516g. Can't do any pics right now, it's tucked away for the winter.
Old 01-23-2017, 08:09 AM   #19

Quote:
I would say you are definitely under warranty if you are the original purchaser. I hope you don't have the same problems F5moab had. Can you post some pictures and please keep us updated as to what dealer/Forest River says.
I would hope not, but have come to believe a lot has to do with the dealer, and the dealer (Roberts Sales) who I purchased the unit from did not appear to care. (I say did not, since I have given up on the thought of Roberts or FR to do the right thing.)

Old 01-23-2017, 08:29 AM   #20

I'm sure these dealers and Forest River are aware of roof problems or some kind of quality control issue. Just seeing members post with similar roof problems would suggest it. My biggest reason for wanting to know is I'm debating shelling out $800 for a bullet liner spray on the roof and don't want to do it if the entire structure would eventually come apart underneath.

Tags
roo, roof