Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2015, 10:00 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruss01 View Post
Ours is a single and it's already to high, well I'm ok with it but for wife and kids it can be a pretty big step...just wondering what this will do if I decide to go that route someday.
Having done some research, there are a ton of different types of steps out there. On my 228BH with the extra 5"+ in lift, plus the larger tires, the step seems to get higher each time I go camping.

My step, when pulled out, is only an inch or two below the floor of the popup, and I have looked at a single step that actually drops down about 6" when pulled out. I am considering the single drop down step.

The double steps stick out more when pulled open.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:23 AM   #22

Same with my step, barely below the floor and if the curb side happens to be the low side...well I'm building another step out of blocks or we bring along am 8" and 12" stool depending on how bad it is.

I'd be OK with a double that sticks out more, but I think it would cause clearance problems on mine if installed right now, maybe not, never bothered to measure.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:52 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmarz View Post

Per Dexter Axle you need 3 inches of "bump clearance "
I'm just curious, where did you find this information?
banda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:49 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by banda View Post
I'm just curious, where did you find this information?

very top of page 118 (page 3 of the pdf, in the pic right side) in the link below, its the install manual for dexter axle on the torflex axle
"FENDER CLARENCE: Allow 3 inches over the tire at full load"

http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/6149609/f/...stallation.pdf
swimmarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 05:55 AM   #25

just an update, the "other warranty work" is done on my unit, I go pick it up Thursday at 11 am. I ll be at my dads house around noon to install the lift kit that FR sent me, as well as do the other mods i had planned such as the out door light on the roof( 10 inch H.O LED strip under the bag awing), new fantastic fan controls( upgrading from the 3 speed to the t-stat/ reverse, and adding a switch to it for the H.O LED's outside) and adding my USB charging ports/ volt meter.
Ill take more pics before and after
Old 08-25-2015, 07:41 AM   #26

3/4" tire to axle clearance

I have the same problem. I have a Rockwood high wall. It is a 2011. I never thought about clearance until after my 3rd tire blew. I thought I had cheap tires at first because of the way the tire shredded (similar to the way a retread lets loose).

After driving over 1000 miles on a trip in the summer I finally rolled my windows down and heard the tire scraping. The tire was rubbing on the wheel well. I probably had 3/4" clearance all along. But now the torsion axle was visibly coming apart.

I called Rockwood technical support and he told me that I could lower the axle from the frame and add spacers to get clearance. The axle does not mount to the frame from the top, it mounts to the side of the frame. His answer did not seem feasible. I really don't think he knew or cared much.

I called the manufacturer and they said it was within specs for Rockwood.
Luckily I was 75 miles from the axle dealer. I picked up a new one and installed it. I had 1 1/2" clearance.
Slowly I headed back on my 1000 mile journey. I stopped after about 100 miles and found it had settled in at 3/4" clearance. I made it home very slowly with the same 3/4" clearance.
I again called the axle manufacturer. Now they are sending me another axle. This time with the torsion set at 40 degrees instead of 20 degrees. It is supposed to raise the frame higher off the axle. We'll see.

It has been a run around. First they sent the completely wrong axle. Now there is no tracking number and it was to be sent 2 day fedex. 5 days have come and gone.

Is this low clearance axle a common problem? I have a 5 year warranty. I have yet to submit that. I don't want to confuse things at this point. I'm thinking I'll have a problem with that.

Out 4 tires and labor changing the axle once and labor changing the axle a second time (if I get it).
donj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:44 AM   #27

I have the same problem. I have a Rockwood high wall. It is a 2011. I never thought about clearance until after my 3rd tire blew. I thought I had cheap tires at first because of the way the tire shredded (similar to the way a retread lets loose).

After driving over 1000 miles on a trip in the summer I finally rolled my windows down and heard the tire scraping. The tire was rubbing on the wheel well. I probably had 3/4" clearance all along. But now the torsion axle was visibly coming apart.

I called Rockwood technical support and he told me that I could lower the axle from the frame and add spacers to get clearance. The axle does not mount to the frame from the top, it mounts to the side of the frame. His answer did not seem feasible. I really don't think he knew or cared much.

I called the manufacturer and they said it was within specs for Rockwood.
Luckily I was 75 miles from the axle dealer. I picked up a new one and installed it. I had 1 1/2" clearance.
Slowly I headed back on my 1000 mile journey. I stopped after about 100 miles and found it had settled in at 3/4" clearance. I made it home very slowly with the same 3/4" clearance.
I again called the axle manufacturer. Now they are sending me another axle. This time with the torsion set at 40 degrees instead of 20 degrees. It is supposed to raise the frame higher off the axle. We'll see.

It has been a run around. First they sent the completely wrong axle. Now there is no tracking number and it was to be sent 2 day fedex. 5 days have come and gone.

Is this low clearance axle a common problem? I have a 5 year warranty. I have yet to submit that. I don't want to confuse things at this point. I'm thinking I'll have a problem with that.

Out 4 tires and labor changing the axle once and labor changing the axle a second time (if I get it).
Old 08-25-2015, 07:45 AM   #28

OOPS

Sorry for posting twice.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:09 AM   #29

I just got this reply from FR
"Sir I have been trying to get this out as fast as I could. You might be the only tent camper to be given a riser kit, just an fyi. Dexter hasn’t officially made onefor your model or like models. Our parts department has been trying to track down info from Dexter. Again thank you for your patience on this, it will be shipped as soon as we get it."

I call B/S!

this is the reply I just sent
"Thank you for the update

I think its odd that they don't make one, as they list it on the install instructions, seen below ( taken from their site, not a third party)

http://www.dexteraxle.com/i/u/614960...x_Lift_Kit.pdf

but on their site under Torflex lift kit they only list the tandem axle kit
#10 Torflex Lift Kit (K71-707-02)
Price:
$170.94

the single axle kit

#10 Torflex Lift Kit (K71-707-01) is not on the site

yet is is listed on others?

K71-707-01--- Dexter Torflex Lift Kit #10 Torflex Axles - Croft Trailer Supply

I am very confused by all of this....

per the croft trailer site that is selling the kit, they list the dimensions below, I get off work at 2:30 and will measure mine to see if its a match or not. Ill email you by 3:15 today with a picture of the Axle tag to confirm what is on the unit.

#10 brackets, top mounting holes 8" center to center
#10 brackets, side mounting holes 8" center to center"
Old 09-01-2015, 09:54 AM   #30

another update.... and I cant make this **** up anymore
they now said the parts if installed would void my warranty
Old 09-07-2015, 08:30 AM   #31

Ok so after dealing with FR on this issue, its left a sour taste in my mouth about how future issues will be handled.
That being said I installed the dexter #10 spacer kit Part k71-707-01 I ordered it from Find it Parts, who then ordered it from Dexter $64 out of my pocket( including 2 day shipping) and it was here in 3 days

Before under the dinette and trailer unloaded( no water no gear)

After the spacer install, again no water no gear

The Door side after( sorry no before)

and Finally the total package with TV

It was under 1 hour to install, the longest part was getting the trailer on jacks/ stands so the tires had 3 inches of clearance below them, as once you add the spacer kit you'll need it to get the tires back on.
I then had to flip my 2 inch drop receiver so now is a 1.5 raise to level everything back out.
Air tools and a good Torque wrench will be your friend on this install, as well as having 4 jack stands, and 2 jacks
Old 09-07-2015, 08:54 AM   #32

Quote:
Ok so after dealing with FR on this issue, its left a sour taste in my mouth about how future issues will be handled.
That being said I installed the dexter #10 spacer kit Part k71-707-01 I ordered it from Find it Parts, who then ordered it from Dexter $64 out of my pocket( including 2 day shipping) and it was here in 3 days

Before under the dinette and trailer unloaded( no water no gear)

After the spacer install, again no water no gear

The Door side after( sorry no before)

and Finally the total package with TV

It was under 1 hour to install, the longest part was getting the trailer on jacks/ stands so the tires had 3 inches of clearance below them, as once you add the spacer kit you'll need it to get the tires back on.
I then had to flip my 2 inch drop receiver so now is a 1.5 raise to level everything back out.
Air tools and a good Torque wrench will be your friend on this install, as well as having 4 jack stands, and 2 jacks
That looks a lot better, I have been told by Rockwood that I need and do have 3" clearance. That is standard. I can't see how that can void any warrenty myself...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:32 AM   #33

The clearance on mine is tight as well. What is the travel of the suspension? If the travel exceeds the clearance, it wouldn't pass inspection in some states.
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 10:08 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayL View Post
The clearance on mine is tight as well. What is the travel of the suspension? If the travel exceeds the clearance, it wouldn't pass inspection in some states.
no inspection in Florida, however Dexter says you need 3 inches of "bump clearance" with the stock/no spacer I didn't have an inch.

My fear was rubbing on the fender could damage the fender/ tire when traveling at highway speeds.

With out mounting a Go-pro on the trailer to video the suspension travel I have no idea if it was topped out or not, but i fee safer knowing there is plenty of room now as it can go up 3 inches and not hit anything now that i have the spacer installed
Old 09-07-2015, 12:20 PM   #35

Quote:
no inspection in Florida, however Dexter says you need 3 inches of "bump clearance" with the stock/no spacer I didn't have an inch.

My fear was rubbing on the fender could damage the fender/ tire when traveling at highway speeds.

With out mounting a Go-pro on the trailer to video the suspension travel I have no idea if it was topped out or not, but i fee safer knowing there is plenty of room now as it can go up 3 inches and not hit anything now that i have the spacer installed
What gets me is that they know they need 3" why they will allow it off the line without it is beyond me. Did you see any rub marks on the bottom of wheel well's?....

Old 09-07-2015, 12:22 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayL View Post
How would a State even measure that?

Old 09-08-2015, 11:40 AM   #37

I didnt see/ notice any, and now with this installed I sure home i never do

Tags
tire