Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2015, 09:56 AM   #1

Tire clearance issue

I just picked up my 2016 2516G and it was set up when i saw it, so i didn't check things like tire clearance, I drove home and parked it in my garage on level ground and was touching up some of the black paint on the frame when i noticed i have no clearance between the top of the tire and the wheel well under the slide out dinette.

I measured with a tape measure and found the distance is just over 1 inch between the wheel and the wheel well at the top
the door side has 4+ inches and the unit is sitting level, on level ground.

I contacted Forrest River and they asked me to bring it to a service center
I took a pic before i took it to CW and this is with the unit unloaded, no water, no gear, just the batter and propane tank are all that has been added to the unit from the delivery weight
in the pic you can see the center line of the wheel is at 13 inches, and that black mark just before it goes in the well well is the number 2(trust me)

you can clearly see the tire still going up into the wheel well. Showing less than 2 inches of clearance
The tire diameter is 24.65 inches, and again look the center line is 13 inches
so 26.65/2=12.325
13-12.325=.675

After Dealing with Jacob at FR they say it meets spec! I think that's nuts as the emails he has sent me say it need 2 inches, I have pics showing its not

Jacob has agreed to send me a #10 dexter axle lift kit at no charge, but he will not pay CW to install it?!?!

I am so upset with the quality, and response to safety concerns that i am regretting my decision to purchase

Per Dexter Axle you need 3 inches of "bump clearance " and Jacob at FR says 2 is what they go by, I don't even have 1 and they are not really doing much about it.

I think I may have to file a complaint with the NHSTA about this, I did mention to Jacob there was a recall that i know of for a simalar issue but he seems to not care about saftey and will only take action once damage is done

here are some other shots of it

swimmarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:38 AM   #2

What a crock!

You're more level headed than me though, I'd be tempted to go down a bumpy road then take it in for the warranty work, bet they'd put the lift kit on it then after fixing everything underneath once.

I hope they get everything resolved for you! Good Luck!
Old 07-29-2015, 10:50 AM   #3

If i lived more local to the dealer where i purchased it this would be a non issue as they said they would install the lift kit at no charge, however I live 160 miles from them.
The nice lady I spoke to at lazydays asked me to get a quote from CW for the install of the lift kit, almost as if they might cover it.
At least someone cares, but I wish FR would step up and do the right thing....
I cant blame CW here for any wrong doing, they have been very helpful in this process and I ll be going back to them for parts and service, their sales team didn't want to listen to my needs and only wanted to sell me a TT when all i wanted was a pop up, so thats why i had to drive 160 miles to get what i want.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:51 AM   #4

Yeah I see what your saying, the only people that would be burned by my suggestion are people who are trying to help you anyway. So maybe I wouldn't do that.

Get the quote from Camping world and see if your RV dealer will pay, or google around, might be some place that deals with axles that isn't specifically an RV place. Any decent mechanic/tire shop could probably do it, heard of quite a few folks doing it themselves.

If you do have it done post back, I don't have the same issue you have, but after our last trip and what I dragged our camper over I was starting to think a little lift would be a good thing.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:58 AM   #5

[QUOTE=gruss01;938827

Get the quote from Camping world and see if your RV dealer will pay, or google around, might be some place that deals with axles that isn't specifically an RV place. Any decent mechanic/tire shop could probably do it, heard of quite a few folks doing it themselves..[/QUOTE]

My issue is its new, under warranty and this should be covered, however my dad is a retired ASE master mechanic and has $100,000 in tools sitting in his garage, so its not a big deal for him and i to tackle this issue, its all about the principals.... if your sending the kit, your admitting there is an issue, but not installing it, is a half a55 attempt at correcting the issue.

long story endless I have Jacob sending the kit to me, he will update with shipping info once available, I have reviewed the directions on the Dexter website and looks like the most amount of time will be getting the trailer up on the jackstands to get the tires off, from there Its air tool time, and then getting it back off the jack stands. Id be shocked if it took more than an hour

hell I did a window regulator on my xterra yesterday in 30 min, so i think I am capeable of doing this fix..
Old 07-29-2015, 12:17 PM   #6

I agree it's BS, see if the dealer will pay for the work locally and how much they'll pay, have your dad send them the bill?
Old 07-29-2015, 12:20 PM   #7

I agree with you swimmarz on the principal of the issue. But we are dealing with RV's and most RV dealers are worse than used car dealers when it comes to warranty service. Unless it's a major ($$) expense, I would just do it myself. I've spent a couple of days the past week taking care of minor and easily fixed issues on my new Silverback, some where factory issues, and some were dealer issues.
You sound very capable of knocking this out yourself. My suggestion is to get your dad's help, and fix it. It's not a one person job. Just be careful,...you will be working under several thousand pounds. Jack stands are a must.

4 advantages to doing it yourself;

1. It will get fixed quicker.
2. It will get fixed correctly.
3. you will have a lot of satisfaction of knowing 1 and 2 above.
4. you gain knowledge of your rv's systems which will be of benefit in the future.

Good luck, and let us all know how it goes.

dg
Old 07-29-2015, 12:27 PM   #8

david,
I agree with you on doing the work myself, at least I am not having to pay for the parts, albeit they are under $100 but there comes that principal part of my argument again....
Ill let you know how the install goes and post after pics.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:04 PM   #9

Ours is the same way on the dinette side. Looking at the 2 plastic wheel well liners, the one on that side looks definately more shallow or less of an arc than the door side. I have been over some rougher pavement and it does not show any signs of rubbing etc but will be watching it closely.
61cubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 04:25 PM   #10

Would you mind posting a picture of the suspension of that side?
Old 07-29-2015, 04:52 PM   #11

What's involved with the lift kit? Are they adding blocks and longer shackles?

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Would you mind posting a picture of the suspension of that side?
you mean the door side that does not have the issue?

I can once i get the trailer back, but ill tell you there is 3x+ clearance on that side vs what you see in the pic's
this is all due to the slide out dinette not having a hump/ big enough hump for the tire to be there.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
What's involved with the lift kit? Are they adding blocks and longer shackles?
Its a Torflex #10 axle, so just spacer blocks, it wont take long to do, see the instructions in the link below

http://http://www.dexteraxle.com/i/u/6149609/f/Instruction_Sheets/059-886-00_Torflex_Lift_Kit.pdf
Old 07-30-2015, 07:24 AM   #14

I wonder how high the step will be when complete? And will FR send you a dual folding step to compensate?
Old 07-30-2015, 07:24 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmarz View Post
Its a Torflex #10 axle, so just spacer blocks, it wont take long to do, see the instructions in the link below

http://http://www.dexteraxle.com/i/u/6149609/f/Instruction_Sheets/059-886-00_Torflex_Lift_Kit.pdf
Just wondered. It sure appears easier than flipping an axle.
I see a lot of trailers out there with, what appears to be, limited clearance between the tire and the trailer's wheel well. But it appears that way, I don't go measure.
Good luck in getting it fixed.....

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:43 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruss01 View Post
I wonder how high the step will be when complete? And will FR send you a dual folding step to compensate?
single step intended for entry that is 12-18 inches, double step is for 18-24
not sure where mine is at but it will be 3 inches higher when its done... who knows
Old 07-30-2015, 08:11 AM   #17

I totally get the principle aspect of this. But personally, I do not want any dealership flunky touching my pop up. I would just as well do it myself.

If I could get the factory to send me a part to fix it, then I would be half happy for the half ***** customer service.

Good luck and please post a few pics of the install. Other members may find it helpful.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:11 AM   #18

Ours is a single and it's already to high, well I'm ok with it but for wife and kids it can be a pretty big step...just wondering what this will do if I decide to go that route someday.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:16 AM   #19

I had a similar issue with my Windjammer. Seems there were a number of trailers that left the factory with the wrong model axle installed. I had about 3/4 inch clearance which caused one of the tires to eventually fail due to rubbing on the fender well. Forest River replaced the axles with ones with a longer mounting bracket and had to repair the damage to the fender wells. They also replaced all four of the tires. Dexter recommends a minimum of 3 inches of clearance to allow for axle flexing when the trailer hits bumps. Forest River eventually had a recall for this issue.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:54 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windjammin View Post
I had a similar issue with my Windjammer. Seems there were a number of trailers that left the factory with the wrong model axle installed. I had about 3/4 inch clearance which caused one of the tires to eventually fail due to rubbing on the fender well. Forest River replaced the axles with ones with a longer mounting bracket and had to repair the damage to the fender wells. They also replaced all four of the tires. Dexter recommends a minimum of 3 inches of clearance to allow for axle flexing when the trailer hits bumps. Forest River eventually had a recall for this issue.
all of that I stated to the Forrest River rep, he claims that FR only needs 2 inches not 3, and that mine having less than 1 is adequate, thus nullifying his comment about it needing 2 inches, let alone 3 as the axle manufacture requires.

once i get the part, ill do before and after, along with a write up complaint to the NHTSA and get the local news to do an " on your side" story and really pressure them to do the right thing, not just for me but for everybody. I don't want go to the extent of the GM ignition switch investigation, but how much damage has been done, and has anyone been hurt? all because a few mistakes were made, or a large compnay tried to save a buck or two

Tags
tire