Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2013, 05:58 AM   #1

tire flat spots from storage?

Hi All ! ... sorry if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find any threads about it.

We have other trailers (utility and such) that are used on a regular basis. My question will be for our Rockwood Premier 2516g.

We plan on taking it out hopefully once or twice more this season - work permitting - than "Rox" will be parked for the winter on the cement pad in our yard.

Is it ideal to either put the "feet" down on it to take some weight off the tires or put it up on blocks for the winter? - not sure if being parked for 5mths will cause any damage to the tires. -- Also, does anyone cover their campers for the winter months at all? -- tarp or Im thinking even just a Canadian Tire car cover ?? ... just something to protect it alittle bit from the elements of Canadian winters.

--- sorry if this sounds like a newb question, just don't want to cause any problems or damage to our beautiful camper. --
rockyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:30 AM   #2
Site Team

Yikes, I dont wanna think about picking up toys yet.

Best would be to get it up on blocks, or place wood under the tires (2x6 board)
Any weight you could get off the tires would help. That said, I just put mine on boards and never had a problem so far.
I would recommend a cover made for covering a camper.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:35 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I store my 10, 000 lb 5th wheel right on the tires, as I did with my travel trailer with no issues.
I store it inside so no cover.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:56 AM   #4
DDC

Sit the tires on planks 2x6 is good, if you want to cover it get a proper cover, tarps are not kind to the trailer when it gets windy no matter how tight you secure it. Never had problems with tire flat spots, any that may occur will go away as soon as the tire gets back up to temp.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:14 AM   #5

We keep ours in the yard, leveled, sitting on 2x10" planks, with the stab jacks down and reasonably tight. No tarp, no cover, just a good coat of wax for protection. We have never noticed any flat spots on the tires. I do check the tires through the winter months to make sure they are up to correct pressure, and add as needed. If you do use a cover, make sure it is the breathable kind (not a tarp) so that mold and mildew doesn't form underneath. And make sure it is good and tight, because covers have been known to put scuff marks in the finish if they can move around or flap in a high wind.

Bob
2013 Rockwood HW296
w4drr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:25 AM   #6

I park all my trailers and vehicles for extended periods on concrete and leveled....the trailer (~9000lbs) sits 5 months and I have never had issue...

matter of fact, the ONLY tire I have EVER seen get a somewhat noticeable flat spot was the drag radials on my cobra.....its a very soft rubber though and much diff than a trailer tire....

but as someone else alluded, once the tire warms up the rubber returns to normal and runs quite fine...

as far as the cover, I have no input on that one

Jeremy
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:06 PM   #7

this is all great info ... thanks guys, but ... why the wood planks? .. so the tires don't freeze to the ground during the winter?

Also, if/when we put it on blocks, are we just putting it up high enough to take SOME weight off the tires? or should they be off the ground all together?
rockyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:38 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyboys View Post
this is all great info ... thanks guys, but ... why the wood planks? .. so the tires don't freeze to the ground during the winter?

Also, if/when we put it on blocks, are we just putting it up high enough to take SOME weight off the tires? or should they be off the ground all together?
wood..sitting off the elements (snow ice ect.) . a buffer between the tire and ground . wood is softer too.

Blocks...Off the ground no contact but I supose any weight off the tire helps.. But really your fine on a 2x6 , thats what i do

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:45 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Ideally, putting the suspension framework on jack stands and getting the tires completely off the ground is the best, but putting the tires on 2 x 8's or 10's will also work. Taking any load off the tires is also a big plus. If storing outside, white garbage sacks over the entire wheel is best.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyboys View Post
... why the wood planks?
Since I am parking in the yard, it is primarily to spread the weight so the tires don't sink into the ground over time, and also to keep them out of the dirt, mud, and any standing water.
Also, there is a school of thought that soil, concrete, etc. can absorb some of the oil compounds in the tire and accelerate their aging. Wood apparently is believed to not absorb these oils. I don't know how much truth there is in that, but that is what I have heard.

Bob
2013 Rockwood HW296
w4drr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:42 PM   #11
Wanna Be Camper

2x10's sitting leveled from Sept till the end of May every year (thats right 9 months). No cover, just cleaned up and waxed and the tires covered with Princess Auto tire covers. Going into winter 4 with this unit and no tire issues at all. ANd we do get a bit on the cold side here for extended periods.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage, tire