Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2011, 04:44 PM   #1

Tire upgrade

Does anyone know if I can put a 14 inch rim and tire on my 2011 Flagstaff 228d? It came from the factory with Power King Tow Max STR radial tires on it. They are ST 185/80R13 and have a single max load of 1480 lbs. I find this interesting since the base dry weight is 2158 and the GVWR is 3059. I understand the economy stinks and going thrifty for the company may save some jobs, I understand, but give me an option for a safer tire and I will take it. I want to upgrade to a 14 inch tire and rim so I can go to a D rating and not be maxed out on the load and speed ratings when towing on the highway. I check tire pressure and keep to the speed limit and still I had a tire break the belts and destroy itself with a whopping 230 miles on it and fear the others will soon follow. this by the way is no fun and I would not wish on anyone. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
ittle dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:57 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittle dew View Post
I want to upgrade to a 14 inch tire and rim so I can go to a D rating and not be maxed out on the load and speed ratings when towing on the highway.
The speed rating (65mph max) is fairly standard across the brands on ST tires. I agree that you do need more tire load capacity, if you can move up to a 14 inch tire

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:44 PM   #3

Iam doing just this on our 625D, came with 175/85r13 LR D radials, which work, until you actually wanna load the camper and haul it down the road.

I am upsizing to 185R14 Kumho 857s, the tires are 25.6" tall, ( the 175s are 24" tall )

The Kumho's are LR D 1840 lbs per @ 65 PSI ( 3640 tire capacity now ) waiting for the wheels to arrive at this time, already have the tires. it might be a little tight in the fender well, but I can get a little room by raising the trailer off the axle a bit, how much I need to move it I do not know yet till I have the wheel tire combo together.
Blkvoodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:25 PM   #4

Went to the dealer today to show him the tire and talk options. They were terribly sorry for my situation and are going to look into a resolution. They were unaware of the under rated tires that came through on that batch of trailers and thought that the 14 inch combo could work as a possible option. They have to make some calls and see what FR wants to do .Interestingly enough, the group of trailers that came in after our group came in with a different brand tire and are D rated at 1650 lbs. I will update as we go along.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:42 PM   #5

Thank you Custom Camper in Plainville Ct for all your help and guidance.

Thank you Forest River for standing behind your product.

FR is sending out the new 13" D rated tires as a replacement. I just have to wait and see how long it will take to send them to my dealer. Then my dealer will weigh my loaded camper to see just where we sit with weight. Hopefully we will be comfortably inside the max weight at the axle and we can stop worrying about this. I hope this won't make us miss too much of the season. FR PLEASE send them fast, the family wants to go camping.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:03 PM   #6

you more than likely have a 3500 lb axle capacity, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to use it, going to the 13" LR D tires will take you to 3220 lbs tire capacity. if that works for you, great.

Our 625D came with the 13" LR D tires, weight rating of 1610 per tire, or 3220 total, the camper weights 3460 with the AC, 2 group 24 batteries, one LP tank water in the toilet and water heater, 3 bag chairs, 100' of water hose, cordless drill and misc tools and a small floor jack ( weights 40lbs ) in the trunk.

over weight for the tires by 240lb. I'd sure like a buffer there.

you might want to check around for availability of the 13" LR D tires in your area, I got looked at like I asked to milk a 2 headed goat, they aren't easily available ( no one local even had a listing for them) , I bought a spare from E-trailer so I had a back up, just in case.

This was the second reason I'm going up in size, a better tire selection.

I haven't decided if I'm going to write FR or not, have no confidence in the local dealer, they didn't really seem all that knowledgeable in the product they were selling, and after seeing the piece of roof removed for the A/C, it looked like they cut it out with a hatchet, and then there are the knee dents in the roof where the 'tech' was kneeling while installing the A/C, you would figure they would know better.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:59 PM   #7

FR will only replace the tires with the either the tires I have ( which I don't want) or the "upgraded" D rated 13's. They will not help or consider the 14" option. If I want to do that, I am on my own.

Since they will replace them for no cost I will try them and see if they can take the weight. If it still has no margin, I'll be out a few hundred bucks for tires and rims and won't know if they will fit until after I get them. So I figured, let them pay for new ones and if they still don't work, then I will go with the more costly option.

Since the camper was paid for in full before pick up, and a few extra thousand getting the TV ready to tow, and another thousand getting the electric brake control, new receiver and weight distribution hitch, I'm tired of spending money to go camping this year. I'm pushing twenty g's and have gone camping 4 times. I think I'll let someone else pay for something this time IF I can.

Don't get me wrong, I love my camper, I just want to use it without worrying about the tires. One way or the other, it will be fixed and have a comfortable margin.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittle dew View Post
Don't get me wrong, I love my camper, I just want to use it without worrying about the tires. One way or the other, it will be fixed and have a comfortable margin.
THANK YOU !! this is my thoughts to a T

I mostly didn't get involved with the dealer or FR because > I want to use the camper, not have it sit on their lot while they figure it out.

I'm not up for a waiting game, or any games at all. I lost when they cheaped out on tire capacity. OK, they sold a camper, but will they sell me the next one ?

I admit, I should have done the homework, we don't carry a lot of stuff camping, our last camper weighed 2200lbs loaded, never had an issue. I'd like to continue this trend.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:47 PM   #9

One way or the other, we will both get to that happy camper place. It's just nice to know that your not alone and a "that never happens" statistic.

The forum family here truly is the best body of knowledge for owners. It's too bad that a lot of times, we are better for each other than the dealers that sell them.

I am fortunate to have a great dealer with tons of knowledge and a passion for his product and his customers and I wish they were all like that, but I am grateful for the people here on the forum as well.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:48 PM   #10

Hi Jim, got your email. - good news. Its 10:40pm now I just got back from the CAT scale with your popup - with full water/battery/LP your 228D weighed at 2,280lbs @ the axle, so with the D tires (1610@65psi) you have 940 lbs margin.

Stop in anytime to pick up your unit, I'll give you the CAT scale printout for your own records too. Give me a ring in the A.M. if you want too. Talk to you guys later.
Mike_CCI_CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:57 AM   #11
Flagstaff 625D Popup

Don't forget about the tongue weight.

If the camper weights 3300 lbs and the tongue weight is 300 lbs, then the camper tires are only carrying a 3000 lb load.

Bean
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:58 PM   #12

I would like to thank Mike and everyone down at Custom Camper Inc. My tires are on, my camper is home, and I'm going camping in two days! As mike said above, I have plenty of room between what my camper weighs and the max on the tires. It is so good to not have to worry about it anymore.

Thanks again
Jim