Old 08-05-2015, 03:12 PM   #1
Toggle battery charger off to start AC

Hi everybody, new to the site, new to TT, I have learned so much about the nuances- tips & tricks to camping here, WoW. Need help on this...2015 HW 31 w/ 13.5 btu dometic AC, (2) Yamaha is2000 converters w/split 30 amp cables, suppco 266 hard start cap, stock 30A power cord, add 8,000 foot elevations...Yamaha says..(1.) Rrejet converters (2.) Turn off other appliances including The On Board Battery Charger because it consumes 1kw. How do i isolate this for AC startup? Thanks to all in advance. I welcome all thoughts on this...!

OsceolaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:40 AM   #2
I hope I'm translating your equipment correctly:

2 Yamaha 2000 watt generators with equipment to parallel them.
1 stock (WFCO) converter - turns AC to DC and charges batteries. On my WFCO unit on my A-frame, the circuit breakers and fuses are under the converter cover.

The stock converter in a PUP is at most 30 amps at 12V DC (360 watts). So figure 400 watts max (typical draw will be half that).

That said, there are circuit breakers (probably 3-4) in your PUP for all the AC circuits (DC circuits use fuses). A/C will be one of the circuit breakers. Turn off all but the A/C circuit breaker when starting the A/C on your Yamaha generator. Actually, the microwave and other high power devices can have their breakers left on as long as you don't try to run the microwave or hair dryer at the same time as starting the A/C.

Note: if you are using 2 generators, even at 8K ft, there should be sufficient power to run the converter and start the A/C at the same time.

2nd note: Repeatedly using the circuit breakers as switches will likely shorten the life of the circuit breaker. Not really a big deal to replace a circuit breaker unless they are an unusual model not found in your typical home improvement store.

just my experiences
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 a-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage (minivan)
pgandw is online now   Reply With Quote