Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2014, 10:08 AM   #1

towing w/ 08 silverodo

Just purchased a 08 silverodo 5.3 v8 2wd ext cab. will be towing a Rockwood Premier 03. Just wondering if i will need weight dist hich set up?
Can sombody help.
Tim
tmfreese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:17 PM   #2
Site Team

first you need to post which model it is and i'm assuming it's a 2003. currently there are 6 different Premier models.

second, you need to get the specs on it, to determine its hitch weight and compare it to the truck's requirement amount for a WDH, that's in the owner manual's towing section.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:50 PM   #3
Site Team

I had a large starcraft pop up with a slide out
Tv was a 98 k1500
I goggled Rockwood Premier 03. Its a pop-up..
You will be fine no wdh needed.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:57 PM   #4

That's not really a one size fits all kind of thing. Wheel base, suspension condition, and a number of other things can change the way the rig sits when hitched. My popup was nearly 450 lbs on the hitch. The truck I was pulling it with only squatted about 2" in back, but it pulled the front end up almost an inch. I ran for about 6 months without one and could definitely tell the difference with one installed. Much more solid in handling, especially on wet roads. The Silverado should handle it fine without one, but I would suggest measuring before and after at the wheel wells and see how much the front end comes up (if at all). More than 1/2 inch and I'd use one, but I don't think you'll have that issue.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:36 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspivey View Post
That's not really a one size fits all kind of thing. Wheel base, suspension condition, and a number of other things can change the way the rig sits when hitched. My popup was nearly 450 lbs on the hitch. The truck I was pulling it with only squatted about 2" in back, but it pulled the front end up almost an inch. I ran for about 6 months without one and could definitely tell the difference with one installed. Much more solid in handling, especially on wet roads. The Silverado should handle it fine without one, but I would suggest measuring before and after at the wheel wells and see how much the front end comes up (if at all). More than 1/2 inch and I'd use one, but I don't think you'll have that issue.
Another option would be if it raises the front enough to affect the lights, I would install air bags and an onboard compressor to raise the rear, lower the front and stiffen the rear suspension.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:28 PM   #6
Site Team

My 98 Silverado 5.7 handled my pop-up no problem. My truck was in great shape and I never knew the 2500 lbs plus camper was back there. I made sure I was towing the unit level.Not high in the back or front of the camper. I have seen many people tow pop-ups tilted front or back. That can change how it handles as well.
My headlights were good as my front end never changed in height.
X2 on the air bags there great!
I would say hitch it up and try it!.

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:29 PM   #7

I have A 2008 heavy duty 1/2. Ton with. 6.0 gas engine, 4:10 rear, 4 speed heavy duty transmission, also came with the heavy duty tow package and factory installed break controller.
367 HP and rated to tow 10,500 lbs.
The camper I towed was a Forest River RockWood 8314ss which is 34' long an 7,700 lbs fully loaded. There was no problem towing this camper with the way my truck was set up.
Generally speaking a camper that is over 25' should have a WD&S control system.
I used the Reese WD&S Control system with 1,200 lbs spring bars.....a great system and would not tow a travel trailer with out it.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:33 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
I have A 2008 heavy duty 1/2. Ton with. 6.0 gas engine, 4:10 rear, 4 speed heavy duty transmission, also came with the heavy duty tow package and factory installed break controller.
367 HP and rated to tow 10,500 lbs.
The camper I towed was a Forest River RockWood 8314ss which is 34' long an 7,700 lbs fully loaded. There was no problem towing this camper with the way my truck was set up.
Generally speaking a camper that is over 25' should have a WD&S control system.
I used the Reese WD&S Control system with 1,200 lbs spring bars.....a great system and would not tow a travel trailer with out it.
OP is towing a pop up.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
OP is towing a pop up.
thanks, I feel stupid......
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing