Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2013, 10:36 AM   #1

Trailer tried to kill me....

Howdy all,

Sore and dizzy from being crushed under to top of my tent trailer. We have a 1993 Rockwood XL 1006 with the heavy AC unit on the roof.... See where this is going?

Anyway, I dropped it off up the road at Lost Creek Lake for a couple of friend to use. Went to crank it up and it started to slip a little. This has happened before but we never had an issue with it. Got inside to secure the door and WHAMMO!! the top dropped and crushed me to the floor. After shaking out the cobwebs and deciding "No, I am NOT Batman" I crawled out.

I tried cranking it up again, gets about 3/4 of the way and the mech clinks and the top drops...

Sound like the clutch and gears are toast? Where's the best place to get replacement parts? Maybe a diagram of the crank Mech?

I did some searching on here before I posted and found a few threads that sound exactly like my problem. I just need to know what parts to order. I was thinking of bearings, new thicker gear and clutches?

Thanks!
Doug in Oregon
dnachristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:44 AM   #2
Always Learning

I know nothing to be able to help, but from another Doug (me) - holy carp! I'm glad you're OK!
Old 07-16-2013, 10:50 AM   #3

I don't know if you're going to be able to find out much information about a 20 year old popup. Forest River didn't even exist at that time and I think (not positive) Rockwood was owned by Cobra Industries in '93.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:54 AM   #4

Is there not a backup support system for the roof? All it rely's on to stay up is the cable and winch? Does not sound safe to me. Don't think i would've thought of it before, but now.....!
But as ependydad said "holycarp"

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:54 AM   #5
daydreaming about camping

that is often the issue when trying to repair old pop-ups. Start with a Rockwood dealer and ask if they can get parts. They may be to identify parts and find replacements even if they do not have actual part books. the lift mechanism has not changed much in the past 20 years.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #6
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
Is there not a backup support system for the roof? All it rely's on to stay up is the cable and winch? Does not sound safe to me. Don't think i would've thought of it before, but now.....!
But as ependydad said "holycarp"
Typically there are braces you put in place over the support poles once the roof is all the way up. Many older units never had these, and often they are misplaced.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #7

Thanks guys! Man, All I wanted to do was take a nap after that. Think I got a concussion. Feel ok today just have a headache.

Ok, So I found a place with parts...

Canvas Replacements

I'm also going to call forest river and see what they can do. I would really hate to get rid of this trailer. For being that old, it's in great shape! Very clean and everything works... well almost everything now

I'll post some progress pics when I fix it.

So, there's supposed to be support poles? I saw nothing about it in the manual, but sounds like a great idea. I could make some from plywood that surrounds the pillars. Slide them on after it's cranked up.

And thank you all for the replies! Wow, that was fast!
Old 07-16-2013, 11:38 AM   #8

Hey man, time to consider a hard sided travel trailer. Glad you're OK. If that happened to me I would have tossed camp fuel in it and lit it up.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:48 AM   #9

or look for a try looking for an "93" Rockwood for sale online "cheap" you might be able to use the parts off of it...or maybe advertise on craigslist...you never know
2014 nites booked 10
Truth B Towed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:50 AM   #10

LOL!! Yeah, I thought about it. I'm going to fix it and sell I think. The wife wants a small travel trailer. I love the tent part though. Maybe I can find the best of both worlds. I've seen some out there where a tent pops out the back.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:36 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnachristen View Post
LOL!! Yeah, I thought about it. I'm going to fix it and sell I think. The wife wants a small travel trailer. I love the tent part though. Maybe I can find the best of both worlds. I've seen some out there where a tent pops out the back.
i think you're thinking of a hybrid travel trailer, also sometimes known as a popout, instead of a popup.
a blend of travel trailer and popup. body of a TT with 2-3 canvas bunk ends that drop down like a ramp/tailgate. all the newer ones are RV queen size, while older ones sometimes had a queen and a double.

most hybrid owners are like yourself, former popup owners who wanted more amenities but still wanted the canvas bed ends.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:14 PM   #12

Popups are easy to fix. Sounds like you may have a worn winder. If goes click, click, click that is the pawl engaging the teeth on the pulley. You may need to replace the winder. A trip under will confirm. This is straight forward. Most parts are universal and inexpensive. While you are under, check the condition of the lift cables. If they are stretched or has fish hooks, time to replace. This is also fairly easy. Looks way more difficult than it is. The corner springs are probably ok.

The small pulley on the front is not for taking out slack. It is used to level the top with the box. Before disassembly, make a picture of the cable connection to the winder. Ask if the winder comes with a new pinch bolt.

You should have a set of bars, channels that go over the lift corners to prevent it from falling down. They are usually stored in the bumper. Good luck. I miss our popup up from time to time. A lot of good times.

I would not worry about heavy duty. Lasted for 20 years.

With a little TLC you will have it fixed better than new in no time.

Oh, hope your head feels better. If you have a headache, blurred vision, unsteadiness got to the doctor and get checked out.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Howdy all,

Sore and dizzy from being crushed under to top of my tent trailer. We have a 1993 Rockwood XL 1006 with the heavy AC unit on the roof.... See where this is going?

Anyway, I dropped it off up the road at Lost Creek Lake for a couple of friend to use. Went to crank it up and it started to slip a little. This has happened before but we never had an issue with it. Got inside to secure the door and WHAMMO!! the top dropped and crushed me to the floor. After shaking out the cobwebs and deciding "No, I am NOT Batman" I crawled out.

I tried cranking it up again, gets about 3/4 of the way and the mech clinks and the top drops...

Sound like the clutch and gears are toast? Where's the best place to get replacement parts? Maybe a diagram of the crank Mech?

I did some searching on here before I posted and found a few threads that sound exactly like my problem. I just need to know what parts to order. I was thinking of bearings, new thicker gear and clutches?

Thanks!
Doug in Oregon
Found it. I ordered all lift parts from
http://www.goshenstamping.com/lift.php

Good folks to work with.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:42 PM   #14
kmr
Ken

Quote:
One thing you may not have thought of with this hybrid design (and popups too, for that matter) is that national parks where there are bears put restrictions on any type of camper that has any soft sides. Namely, you can't store any food in them--you've got to schlep it all out to the car after every meal. Ditto with anything that smells like food, i.e. pots, pans, dishes, dishtowels, etc. etc. etc.

Reminds me of tent camping where we had to do the same thing--constantly schlepping stuff between the picnic table and the trunk of the car.

Our economic stimulus package:
2012 Flagstaff 8528RKWS
2012 Ford F-150 EcoBoost (3.5L V6!)
kmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:28 AM   #15

I second the Goshen Stamping recommendation. Parts, Diagrams and instructions for pop-up lift assemblies.

| Goshen Stamping Co. Inc.
92goat is offline   Reply With Quote