Old 07-30-2010, 12:00 PM   #1

Travel Door

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum and need information. My wife and I are the proud new owners of a Flagstaff 228. When the top is down and latched, ready for travel, should I be able to open the travel door? Ours will not open. I spoke with the dealer and was told that the door was not supposed to open unless the top was unlatched and lifted a few inches. Does that sound right?

Thanks for any help.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:24 PM   #2

I used to have a Rockwood PUP and I could open the door when the top was down and latched. With the weatherstrip it was a tight fit but it would open. I can't think of any reason for it to be made to not open, but then I don't know everything! I guess it could be a safety thing so, if someone were to crawl inside, you can't get caught inside with the top latched and the door locked or stuck.

We'll see if anyone has other thoughts.

Ray

Old 07-30-2010, 12:49 PM   #3

I had an '04 Flaggstaff pop-up and I didn't have a problem openning the door when the top was down.

Newer models like yours may be different, although I don't know why.

Sorry I can't be of more help to you.

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:09 PM   #4

I looked at the specs of the FR website, and it says that the main door is accessible in the closed position. See the link below. Unless I have read info for the wrong model, it seems your dealer may be wrong.

Flagstaff Tent Campers Standard Features
Old 07-30-2010, 01:57 PM   #5

Thanks for the speedy replies. I am taking it back to the Forest River dealer for several minor adjustments and repairs and I intend to take a copy of the "Flagstaff Tent Campers Standard Features" with me.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:27 PM   #6

The pop-up I had for a few years would allow access to the door only if the front latch (closest) was loose, I also had to use some muscle and lift the roof a bit to get the door open, this is the way it should be because with a pop-up trailer the frame flexes a bit while traveling and without a solid door casing the latch won't always keep the door closed securely, several times the door would latch would pop and the door was loose, only kept closed because the roof clearance would not allow the door to open. I even went as far as installing a locking external latch allowing me to put padlock which made vandal intrusion a bit more difficult.

Don't fret this inconvenience, it can be easily overcome and will prevent having an unwanted yard sale on the interstate.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:40 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I could unlock & open the door on my '06 Jayco. As grandpaofthree said, it can be quite snug opening it.
Nights camped 2011: 17
Nights camped 2012: 8
https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:28 AM   #8

Update

For those that may be interested, I telephoned Forest River and was told that the travel door was supposed to open even when the top was down. However, flyrotor makes a good point. The door is very secure the way it is now. So maybe I will just live with the minor inconvenience of having to raise the top a couple of inches whenever I need to open the door.

Thanks for all the replies.

Tags
flagstaff, tent camper