Old 03-11-2014, 09:55 AM   #11

You could check for the safety cable that locks the brakes if the trailer pulls away. If you have a 7 prong cable and the safety cable it is a good bet that you have electric brakes.

'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel 4x4
Why I got into RVing & More Fun
ng2951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:14 PM   #12
Moderators' Assistant

if you look behind one of the wheels, on the axle, you should be able to tell if is has brakes or not.

popups over the past few decades, have vinylized canvas and don't require waterproofing.
the seams sometimes may need seam sealer.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1afl123 View Post
Hi,
I just bought a used 2002 Rockwood freedom 1640 ltd

Where do you go to get explanations of what it has / or doesnt have, or what thing on it are for?

like does it have brakes? what the wires are for in the battery box, do you have to charge the battery or does it charge its self when it is plugged into the socket?

What do you use to clean the plastic tent outside & inside?

I have figured out how to open everything except to put the door in.

I have found how to video's on utube but none of them are specific enough.

Thank you for the help.
I just sold my 2002 1940 because we moved up to a 26DS TT. I will try to send you my email via PM and I will help you all I can. As far as setting up the door, you need to lower it from the ceiling, and holding the top out slightly (the top has a dual hinge) set the upper door on top of the lower door section, making sure the plastic guides go in to the opening in the sides of the lower door and then latch them together with the little latch at the joint. Then making sure the latches on the roof are lined up with the holes on the door hinge, push the top of the upper door towards the outside until it goes in place and latch it with the two turn latches. Now, starting at the top, put your velcro together on both sides. Repeat this process on the outside. I doubt you have brakes because the 1940 is very liteweight. I had a 3 way reefer, small but worked good. There is a small water holding tank under the aft dinette seat, it does not have an electric pump. You should have a two burner stove that can be used inside or hooks to a rail on the outside and the gas line goes through an access from the inside to hook it up. The wires that hook to the battery charge it from the inverter that is powered by plugging the trailer in to 120V. It does not charge from the 4 pin flat connector that runs the trailer lights. The inverter is under the aft dinette seat also but can be seen under the dinette. We (DW and 2 dogs and me) really enjoyed our popup. We endured a few wild t'storms, torrential downpours, wind and heat with no issues (I do hope you have AC!). A few tips: Upgrade your interior lights to LED, they last longer, are brighter, and use less electricity. Invest in a gel foam (made in USA) 2 1/2 inch mattress topper for your adult bed. It is worth every penny and at 2 1/2 inches you can still close the camper. Invest in a cooler/reefer for outside. Wally World has them for $80.00 and it really is convenient and expands your cold storage for little money. Oh, a valuable hard learned lesson, check to see if the lug nuts on your spare are the same size as on the trailer. I checked using the spare and when the inevitable flat occured, did not have the right socket. Okay, enough rambling, hope it helps.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:54 PM   #14

Paula, I have the same model. It has no brakes. The door is a bit tricky the first time. Here is a video you may have already seen, but at around 7:10 it shows putting the door in: It's not exactly like the 1640, but close. I've set mine up by myself, but it sure is easier with a helper! It would be a good idea to have the wheel bearings checked. When you wash the outside and/or inside, make sure you leave it up and let it dry thoroughly lest you get mold. Don't ask me how I know this. I used the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and it was the only thing that would get rid of the mold stains. Jim
Old 07-04-2014, 07:48 AM   #15
Wanna be Sir Campsalot

Sold my 1640 LTD about the same time you bought yours. May I inquire as to where you bought it?

If you're still having problems, please feel free to contact me directly. I'll talk you through whatever you need. I loved that little guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
K4RGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:13 AM   #16

If it has brakes you should be able to look under the trailer on the inside of the wheels and see wires coming out of the brake backing plate. Actually if it doesn't have brakes there won't even be drums, just an axle and wheels.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:08 AM   #17

If its to hard to look under the trailer try posting a pic of the outside of the tire/rim. We just use Clorox wipes on our inside but if its really dirty if heard you can use simple green. YER on the bearings have them checked n packed b4 anything.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:43 PM   #18
Wanna be Sir Campsalot

Pretty sure the 2002 Rockwood Freedom 1640 LTD did not come with electric brakes. When I bought mine new back in 2002, they weren't even an option for that model.

Not to say someone didn't retrofit yours.... But I'm quite confident there are no electric brakes on your popup.

Somewhere, I have a setup VHS tape, showing how to set up the entire camper. If I can find it, I'll digitize and upload to YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
K4RGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:43 AM   #19

Make sure you raise top couple inches before opening the door when you is down, otherwise you will tear the rubber seal on the top of the lower door from it dragging on roof. Have a 2024 and dealer just replaced mine slready.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 07-05-2014, 08:43 AM   #20

2014...lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app

Tags
pop up