Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2012, 07:27 PM   #1

Upgrade mattress on 2011 Palomino popup?

We recently bought a 2011 Palomino popup. We suspected when we bought it that the mattress/plywood would be too firm for my wife. The salesman indicated that there was room for a pillow top or a thicker mattress. However, as best I can determine the roof pretty much touches the mattress when it's down. Has anyone dealt successfully with this issue. For example would I still be able to lower the roof with, say, a 2" foam pad under the existing mattress. Or might there be a better 4" thick mattress than the original equipment?
My wife will thank you for any suggestions.
Bob
Old 08-26-2012, 08:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblackwell
We recently bought a 2011 Palomino popup. We suspected when we bought it that the mattress/plywood would be too firm for my wife. The salesman indicated that there was room for a pillow top or a thicker mattress. However, as best I can determine the roof pretty much touches the mattress when it's down. Has anyone dealt successfully with this issue. For example would I still be able to lower the roof with, say, a 2" foam pad under the existing mattress. Or might there be a better 4" thick mattress than the original equipment?
Bob
Which model is the Palomino?
Old 08-26-2012, 09:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblackwell View Post
Bob

I feel your PAIN

We too are in the process of experimenting with mattress toppers and other cushioning methods to combat the firm beds with the given roof allowance we have on the Pup. We have the heated mattress covers and thought about a thicker mattress, even contemplated getting an air mattress. Just have to remember to let the air out after camping trip has ended, and then trying to find a "good one" that holds air is been pretty challenging according to the majority of the reviews I have been reading.

We opted for (2) 5 zone mattress toppers from Wally World in hopes that this will help soften a bit. Hopefully 1 will suffice, but 2 would be more than welcoming. In addition, I am also thinking of putting a sleeping bag under the mattress for cushioning. Just have to remember to make sure nothing gets in the way of the track when sliding the beds back in. If it works out that the roof won't close, well then we will just have to completely strip the bed down as usual. Would be nice to eliminate 1 step.

This is what we are hoping for next time out. There is no substitution to the bed at home.

Here is a link you may want to check out. They offer some great alternatives of foam bedding.

Conventional Mattress - Soft, Medium & Firm Foam Mattress, Beds

Hope this helps, good luck in your search.
Briorick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
sw1

me too!

I have a M-6149 and while the mattress is quite an upgrade from the 1985 Jayco, it still isn't a sleep number bed. I think my biggest gripe is that I cannot open the half door when the top is down to be able to investigate the situation. Heck, it would be nice to be able to load up also without having to crack the top a bit to load some bags.
sw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1 View Post
I have a M-6149 and while the mattress is quite an upgrade from the 1985 Jayco, it still isn't a sleep number bed. I think my biggest gripe is that I cannot open the half door when the top is down to be able to investigate the situation. Heck, it would be nice to be able to load up also without having to crack the top a bit to load some bags.

AMEN to that!

Here's what we finally did. We lifted the roof a bit then opened the door and then lowered the roof to see how much room we had. Kind of bass ackwards, but it worked. This is when I envy the "Big Boys" with their full doors. Other than that, wouldn't trade my Pup for the world.

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:20 AM   #6

When we had our Palomino PUP P2100 we added a foam eggshell topper on our mattress. It helped some, we had thought about getting another memory foam one but traded before we did. We did sleep good with what we had.
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:45 AM   #7

Thanks for your response. We bought two mattress toppers yesterday and are in the process of trying them out on PUP mattress on the kitchen floor. (I was pleasnatly surprised that they are returnable.)
Old 08-28-2012, 06:52 AM   #8

Our Palomino is a Y series model 4127
Old 08-28-2012, 09:39 AM   #9

There is a 6" foam mattress with good reviews (short queen-reversible) on amazon. I've been looking at it since the weight is also pretty low. I believe it was selling for just over $200. Just in case your mattress toppers don't work as well as you hoped.
Kathyrarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #10

Kathy - Thanks for the reply. We will keep it in mind. I'm impressed with all the helpful people who have offered suggestions. Campers seem like a helpful bunch.
Bob
Old 09-02-2012, 04:10 PM   #11

We have a 228D and we added 1 1/2 inch memory foam on top of the mattress. It does make it harder to close the top, some care must be taken not to over stress the latches that hold the top down, those screws are small. I would not go any thicker on mine, but we also have all that extra canvas from the slide out dinette that adds to the bulky ness when closed.
ittle dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:20 AM   #12

Thanks to all who responded to my question about getting a better night sleep in our Palomino PUP. In the end we bought a 2.5" thick gel memory foam mattress topper (about $150 at BJs) and having just come back from four nights in New Hampshire my wife declares it a success. There's no way the roof would close with it on the bed but fortunately we can roll it up and stow it on the floor before lowering the roof. The rolling up is a little bit comical as the foam acts like the Blob but with a few bungees we got it to fit.
Thanks again.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #13

Glad it worked out...we had thought about getting one when we had our PUP, but we wouldn't have had that much room to store it in the floor. We had so much other stuff in there. If they could only add a few more inches to the roof, problem would be solved or else put a better mattress in there.
Mark and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:03 PM   #14
sw1

Did you put this on the front or rear bunk? I am asking because I have the 66" bunks front and rear on mine. I am looking and I only see queen 60" or king 76". I would hate to buy the 60 and feel like I am rolling off it all the time. But I also do not want to cut up a new topper.

Thanks,

Shawn
sw1 is offline   Reply With Quote