Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2016, 03:23 PM   #1

Unhappy upgraded to high wall 27sc and AC doesn't cool it?

Hi! New here....we upgraded from a 2015 coachman clipper 127st (no slides, 2 king end beds) to a 2017 Flagstaff high wall 27SC (one queen bed, one king and one dinette slide). In our clipper, our AC did a great job of cooling the unit down. We just picked up our unit the other day and this AC doesn't cool it off at all really? Unit is parked in the same place and it's about the same temp as when the clipper was set up. I know the clipper is smaller....but wasn't expecting that this high wall unit would be so much hotter. The AC is putting out cold air....but just doesn't do hardly anything to actually cool the unit. Was wondering if others with high walls have this issue? Is the unit that much bigger that there is no hope of cooling? Or is the AC maybe not working properly? The clipper had dark blue tenting and this is light tan, could that cause this issue?? Any help appreciated!!
Kara
karae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 05:59 PM   #2

Might check see what size A/C unit (BTU) was installed on your new high wall. IMO if it is not at least 13500 BTU you will have problems cooling the camper. Look on your dealer installed options paper, it should be listed there.

Not sure were you live at, but here in Lubbock, TX it has been HOT. My A/C (13,500 BTU Colman unit) would just get it bearable in direct sunlight at 100 degree temp. Not much insulation on our PUPS.

Hope you get things figured out, Happy Camping!!
JPBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 07:29 PM   #3

Doing the Reflectix and solar blanket mods will help. I did it on both our popup and hybrid when we had them. Not alot of R value on popup walls. The Reflectix in the tent end windows is hard to see in the pic of our hybrid.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Exterior Mods 015.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	359.8 KB
ID:	115150
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 08:56 PM   #4

X2 regarding reflectix in the bunk ends. Also, check to see if you do in fact have 13.5 or 15k btu. Remember if you're just setting up, it takes a while for the surfaces inside the pup to cool as well, especially when it's very hot outside. We were concerned too when we got the HW27KS, but ours has cooled just fine.
spurticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:54 PM   #5

We owned a HW27KS with a 15k AC. It struggled to keep it cool if in open, direct sunlight and temperature above 90. It helped to close the drapes in front of the beds and keep the cooler air in the living area during the hottest part of the day. We also used pop-up gizmos once and the reflective material did help keep temperatures lower. A cylinder shaped, vertical oscillating fan also helps circulate the cooled air.
jbird1429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:57 PM   #6

I had the same issue with my Fleetwood Niagara HW. It had two king beds and a slide out. I found a company called Popup Gizmos that make a reflective covers for the canvas roofs. The come in several different styles mostly centered around the attachments. They were very similar to the picture in one of the previous posts. They were not cheap but really did the trick.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:56 AM   #7

As others have said, it is the nature of the PUP beast. Lack of insulation really hinders the cooling effect. Also, the tent type material doesn't help. Get the gizmos and reflectix. There are different types of gizmos and taking the measurements are easy. Your beds and dinette prob run you $200. Well worth it even though they are a bit of a pain to put on and off. And the reflectix you buy in a large roll and cut to size. My local homedepot and lowes doesn't carry it in stores. Hopefully, your does. If not, WWW. And you may not need to put them in all your windows every time. Sunny side helps obviously. A bonus, they keep it darker inside and allow my kids to sleep later

You will see a big difference with those in place. Good luck.
Dodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by karae View Post
Hi! New here....we upgraded from a 2015 coachman clipper 127st (no slides, 2 king end beds) to a 2017 Flagstaff high wall 27SC (one queen bed, one king and one dinette slide). In our clipper, our AC did a great job of cooling the unit down. We just picked up our unit the other day and this AC doesn't cool it off at all really? Unit is parked in the same place and it's about the same temp as when the clipper was set up. I know the clipper is smaller....but wasn't expecting that this high wall unit would be so much hotter. The AC is putting out cold air....but just doesn't do hardly anything to actually cool the unit. Was wondering if others with high walls have this issue? Is the unit that much bigger that there is no hope of cooling? Or is the AC maybe not working properly? The clipper had dark blue tenting and this is light tan, could that cause this issue?? Any help appreciated!!
Kara
the

Be sure you understand your thermostat. Needs to run on auto, but I found that it cools better initially if I run the fan on high.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
upgrade