Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #1

Smile Upgrading to a newer Tent Trailer...which model?

We just sold our little 8' trailer this morning and now have to scramble to get a new one.

We're pretty sure we like the 207. We like how there is one table and a bit of seating area. The beds are bigger than our old one and it has an electric roof lift. (Not sure if that's a good or bad feature.) This one is $2000 less than the local dealership is asking for but it's a 6 hr drive away and while it's brand new, we haven't seen pictures yet. 2011 Forest River Flagstaff MAC / LTD 207 Trailer : Reviews, Prices and Specs : RV Guide (He does have the 208 in stock too)

We have also found a 208 that is brand new but has less floor space because there are two dinettes. The dealer is in our town and will do a paper trade so that we can save a bit of money on taxes. It would probably still be $1500 more than the one above minus our travel costs.) It has a crank lift. 2011 Forest River Flagstaff MAC / LTD 208 Trailer : Reviews, Prices and Specs : RV Guide

The other one is much cheaper but we are hesitant about the electric roof lift and having to spend a weekend going to get it. We can make a trip out of it though so it's not all bad.

I feel silly about being so conflicted. I'm not sure about how difficult it is to buy from a different province, to buy something new without seeing that exact trailer yet, and about the electric lift system.

Any opinions on floor plans or anything else I have mentioned would be greatly appreciated.
CanadianMaple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
(Kim)

They both look pretty good
Can you ask the out of province dealer to take some pictures and e-mail them to you?
How big is your family that you would need 2 dinettes?
Does the electric lift one have a crank also?

You could always flip a coin......heads the 207, tails the 208....
That always works for me.
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
Brigitte

Two dinette? Any way this could be converted to 1 dinette? Purchasing local has it's advantages (hopefully) for warranty work and will save you tome from travelling to get the other one. Look at all the diferent features and see what works best for you. Personally, if possible, I have learened over the years that upgrading to the most options I can afford works best for me. i have never regretted buying up but usually regret getting a lower model with less options for the sake of saving a little money.
Timbrens
boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianMaple
We just sold our little 8' trailer this morning and now have to scramble to get a new one.

We're pretty sure we like the 207. We like how there is one table and a bit of seating area. The beds are bigger than our old one and it has an electric roof lift. (Not sure if that's a good or bad feature.) This one is $2000 less than the local dealership is asking for but it's a 6 hr drive away and while it's brand new, we haven't seen pictures yet. 2011 Forest River Flagstaff MAC / LTD 207 Trailer : Reviews, Prices and Specs : RV Guide (He does have the 208 in stock too)

We have also found a 208 that is brand new but has less floor space because there are two dinettes. The dealer is in our town and will do a paper trade so that we can save a bit of money on taxes. It would probably still be $1500 more than the one above minus our travel costs.) It has a crank lift. 2011 Forest River Flagstaff MAC / LTD 208 Trailer : Reviews, Prices and Specs : RV Guide

The other one is much cheaper but we are hesitant about the electric roof lift and having to spend a weekend going to get it. We can make a trip out of it though so it's not all bad.

I feel silly about being so conflicted. I'm not sure about how difficult it is to buy from a different province, to buy something new without seeing that exact trailer yet, and about the electric lift system.

Any opinions on floor plans or anything else I have mentioned would be greatly appreciated.
I really like the 208, more storage and more seating IMO. Good luck with your purchase.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:59 PM   #5

I think our main hesitation with the local guy is that they haven't really been all that helpful to us. We saw them last year and they dropped the ball and this year they sold one model on us after telling us there was no rush to get the paperwork done. He's also asking $8999 and the guy that's 6 hrs away is only asking $7000.

I think the attraction to the 207 was how much more open it felt. There are only the two of us adults and a preschooler, but we hope to have another child in the next year.

I think one of the tables can be taken out of the 208, if we wanted more space.

Any opinions about electric lift vs. crank. One more thing to break or is it nice? It's offered on the cheaper trailer, but I didn't want to make up for that cost by always fixing it.
CanadianMaple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #6
Brigitte

This dealer would not be getting my business. Too many red flags. Not sure how they would deal with warranty work anyways.
Timbrens
Old 04-30-2012, 01:28 PM   #7
Flagstaff 625D Popup

I have the flagstaff 625D. And it has the electric lift. But there is a crank backup in case the battery is dead.

The electric lift does make it nice. I don't see how it would be a "bad" thing ???

Bean
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:01 PM   #8

We are looking at two trailers. Dealer #1, with the highest prices too, is trying to tell us that the electric lifts break all the time and aren't worth having. It's hard to manually crank if they do break.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:54 AM   #9

Our camping friend had 2 dinettes and she hates if with the kids (5,3 and a new baby). She says it feels cramped. They always take one table out but the floor mount is still there and the kids trip over it.

I love her layout though but the grass is always greener.
Beth K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean
I have the flagstaff 625D. And it has the electric lift. But there is a crank backup in case the battery is dead.

The electric lift does make it nice. I don't see how it would be a "bad" thing ???

Bean
Another vote for the power roof. It is a very good thing. :-)
Old 05-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #11

Just an update. The local dealer met the other guy's price, so we went with him. So, we spent the same as we would have to travel 13 hrs round trip, and we didn't have to waste or time or the gas money.

We did a paper trade and with the amount he dropped, it was worth going with the 208 and no electric lift. We got it home yesterday and I really like it.

I'm so glad I decided to call the local dealer and give him a chance to match the price. We just live 10 minutes from the dealer and the service we got made me really happy.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:54 PM   #12
Brigitte

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianMaple
Just an update. The local dealer met the other guy's price, so we went with him. So, we spent the same as we would have to travel 13 hrs round trip, and we didn't have to waste or time or the gas money.

We did a paper trade and with the amount he dropped, it was worth going with the 208 and no electric lift. We got it home yesterday and I really like it.

I'm so glad I decided to call the local dealer and give him a chance to match the price. We just live 10 minutes from the dealer and the service we got made me really happy.
Looking forward to pictures and stories of camping
Timbrens