Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2014, 07:13 PM   #1

Vacation

My wife and I are pulling our Flagstaff 246D from Pa. to Calf. and back. I need to know if anyone has spent a month in there pop up. We had a fifth wheel and it was easy but a pop up?
skirk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:22 PM   #2
DW's 401(k) Plan

I made an 8,000 mile trip with a pop-up back in the summer of 2003. 3+ weeks. MD to WA, down to CA and back across. No one died in the trip. 2 adults, a 14 year old boy and 13 year old girl.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:23 PM   #3
Plain Old Member

Honestly I think that's pretty cool. Nobody makes rules on what you can and can't do, so go for it. If nothing else, you will have a lot of cool stories and experiences to tell later. We owned our little popup at the same time as one of the previous campers. We'd choose it for a little more adventure in a trip. I loved that little thing. Even had my DirecTV in it. My parents laugh at us and our bling rigs. They went on their honey moon in a VW beetle. Very long long trip. Thing is, they slept in it too. Had it rigged some sort of way to lay the seats back and create a bed in it. And we fuss about short queen RV matresses and my AC won't cool. Huh.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by skirk55 View Post
My wife and I are pulling our Flagstaff 246D from Pa. to Calf. and back. I need to know if anyone has spent a month in there pop up. We had a fifth wheel and it was easy but a pop up?
No but it would be easy. I could spend a whole season in my pop up. It has everything I need.

A month will be no problem for you.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:22 PM   #5
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Honestly I think that's pretty cool. Nobody makes rules on what you can and can't do, so go for it. If nothing else, you will have a lot of cool stories and experiences to tell later. We owned our little popup at the same time as one of the previous campers. We'd choose it for a little more adventure in a trip. I loved that little thing. Even had my DirecTV in it. My parents laugh at us and our bling rigs. They went on their honey moon in a VW beetle. Very long long trip. Thing is, they slept in it too. Had it rigged some sort of way to lay the seats back and create a bed in it. And we fuss about short queen RV matresses and my AC won't cool. Huh.
(chuckle) John, ex and I started "RVing" in a converted VAN. Worst night of my life camping; youngest manchild was about 3 mos. old and the roof mount a/c went out. I laid awake all night fanning him with a piece of cardboard....HOT! in August on Lake Greeson, Arkansas...Cow Hide Cove. He'd go to sleep and I'd stop fanning....within 30 seconds he'd wake up crying. That went on ALL NIGHT LONG!

As a child we didn't know what an "RV" was....as I've said, we went on a 2 week vacation every year...all *over* the US...camping in tents. Once a week we got to stay in one of those little road-side motels....those that had separate little cabins. We thought we were livin' LARGE back then, tents OR motels.

Now days, we just ....
Attached Images

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 08:51 PM   #6

thank you everyone. we sold our fifth wheel due t the fact I now have lung cancer. We wanted to take a trip to calf and back. I do not like hotels at all. o we purchased a pop up. we started out in 1974 in a pop up and I will now finish in a pop up. Yu will never get camping out of ones system! We love camping. The people, the fire and the food. What a wonderful lifestyle.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:31 AM   #7

Quote:
thank you everyone. we sold our fifth wheel due t the fact I now have lung cancer. We wanted to take a trip to calf and back. I do not like hotels at all. o we purchased a pop up. we started out in 1974 in a pop up and I will now finish in a pop up. Yu will never get camping out of ones system! We love camping. The people, the fire and the food. What a wonderful lifestyle.

Amen.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:46 PM   #8

The reality is going to be how much the setup/takedown bothers you. And if it does bother you, are you setting up in a new place every day? Try not to move every day if at all possible. The more often you move from one campsite to another, the simpler things need to be (fewer toys, and reduced setup/takedown).

Something will inevitably break on the PUP along the way. Resupplying (food, ice, clothes washing, etc) will be more frequent than at home. How you handle these "speed bumps" will have a lot to do with how much pleasure you get from the trip.

I truly hope you have a great trip.

Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:08 PM   #9

We will go from pa. to Yellowstone then stay for a few days. That will take two days to get there. I will not pull anything over 60 mph. when we are on the road we will pull in at dusk until we are pro's. This way we can enjoy the trip. We have had things happen now we laugh about it. There is nothing better than pulling something and camping we are so lucky.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:09 PM   #10

Quote:
We will go from pa. to Yellowstone then stay for a few days. That will take two days to get there. I will not pull anything over 60 mph. when we are on the road we will pull in at dusk until we are pro's. This way we can enjoy the trip. We have had things happen now we laugh about it. There is nothing better than pulling something and camping we are so lucky.
Wow skirk, you will be logging a lot of miles each day to do it in two days. I don't know where in pa you are, but the mileage from pittsburg to yellowstone is about 1850 miles, depending on route. And at 60 mph, that is 30 hours driving time. We did maryland to yellowstone and took 4 driving days to get there and that felt like we were rushing.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:46 PM   #11

With the fifth wheel we drove from 6:30 am till 11 pm. pulled into Walmart got some sleep and hit the road. With the pop up we can not pull and set up! I think we will be lucky with 3 days.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:56 PM   #12

Quote:
With the fifth wheel we drove from 6:30 am till 11 pm. pulled into Walmart got some sleep and hit the road. With the pop up we can not pull and set up! I think we will be lucky with 3 days.
That makes sense, with a 5th wheel you can do that. Much harder with a pup but it makes for a more leisurly trip to stop and explore areas along the way if you have the time.
Just us gals (me, Sis and our daughters)
We spend alot of money to go sit in the woods
GalsofEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:08 PM   #13

Our goal is Calf. and back. What ever happens we will deal with it. I installed the hitch, brake controller and trans cooler. We looked at the storage not very much. We will need clothing for 4 weeks. This is something we need to go over this weekend.
I have to say this pop up is very nice well worth the money. We just need to get good at setting up and taking it down. We are going to do this Saturday.
I keep reading what people do and hope we can put this information to good use.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:27 PM   #14
Site Team

Sounds like a road trip that I wouldn't doing. CA's summers tend to last longer than some areas. It wouldn't hurt to bring along a table top fan or two. I even keep a battery operated one in my TT along with the plug in type.

Have fun and good luck!

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat