Old 05-31-2014, 09:53 PM   #1
Very New To Pop Ups!

Hi everyone, found you guys as I searched for info on my new camper. Its a 2002 Rockwood Freedom in really good shape. So, Im brand new to campers. Moved out of the tent and into something entry level. Opened it up today and did a basic evaluation. Some questions so far...Where do I begin with the water? Fill the tank then flush it? Do I flush the tank with anything? I want to start of as clean as possible. The toilet, where do I begin with this? I want to clean the black water lines/ tank, where do I begin? Fridge, ugh, how do I turn it on? It runs off propane and electricity, Its plugged in now but the fridge isnt on? Furnace, where do I begin to get this going? As you can see I am as green as I wish my grass was. If someone can throw a link or two at me that would be great. All the pop up videos I can find are like 10 minute videos on how to open the camper, then I guess everything just magically works. Thanks all, sorry to bother you with my rookie questions!

Henry Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:25 PM   #2
If you look at the menu bar at the top of the forum web page, you'll see an item titled "Library." There's a lot of stuff in there on your questions. Without knowing make/model of your furnace/fridge, we can't help you much. Try to get those and re-post. You can also google them online and see if you can get an owner manual online.

With respect to the fresh water tank, you'll want to fill it with clean water with 1/4 cup bleach to 15 gals of water added. (You may have to add water 1 gal at a time if you don't know how big your tank is.) Pump some through the lines to your faucet/toilet. Let it sit a few hours, then drain it, then refill/drain a few more times. You do this every Spring. I can't tell you anything on your toilet, I suspect it's one of those "cassette" things - don't know much about them.

If you don't have a grey water tank, you'll probably need to buy a portable tank so you can collect your grey water and take it to the dump site, or dump down a toilet at the bath house. (Illegal to dump it on the ground.) I used one like this for 20 years with my Popup:

Barker Tanks 5GALTT

It was easy to carry and I kept it clean on the outside, so it traveled under the dinette table. There are bigger ones with wheels, if you think you'll be generating more water. I usually only had to dump mine every couple days with a wife and 2 kids.

Good luck.
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2007)
2012 Roo19 - hybid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote

pop up