Old 08-08-2015, 08:44 AM   #1
Warranty work and dealer services

Good morning, just returned from lake George which was fantastic! Had a problem with the outside shower on my 2015 2318g leaking. I called my local dealer and explained to him it is still under warranty and could he take a look at it and how long to repair etc. he asked me 4 times in my 5 minute conversation if I bought the pop up from his dealership. I told him ,no but he is my closest FR dealer (1hr) and asked if he could take care of it. He told me he would not do warranty work on my pup cuz I didn't buy it there but he would fix it for $250. By installing a new one. I contacted FR and they told me they cannot control the dealership who sell their products to do warranty work. He also told me that the price for the repair depending on shop costs was reasonable. Long story short, I ordered a new shower kit for $12.95 and replaced it myself in about 20 min........I can't imagine if I had a real warranty or major issue with my pup. I was disappointed in the lack of service provided by the dealership but more so by the lack of support I got from FR. I hope the people with the crinkled roof have a better experience.

I also agree that FR and pop ups etc are not just a starter or should be of lesser quality than the big rigs. With families and the cost of things in the world today, for the purpose of which we use our camper (to get away from society) it is wonderful but I pay hard earned dollars for it and I would expect they manuf would put the same hard work and quality into their products

TheBelchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:10 AM   #2
Why not publish the name of that dealer so we can avoid him?
As for quality, I think all RV's share the same quality issues. Glad you were able to fix it yourself.
I've noticed a lot of dealers aren't even carrying popups. What is discouraging to me is that the character of the campgrounds are changing. By that I mean the parks i used to enjoy are becoming unpleasant because everyone there has a monster rig jammed into a little spot that was designed for tenting or popup camping many years ago. Worse, the park workers allow multiple vehicles, boats, etc alongside the big-foot trailers so that all the space in the campsite is completely covered. As a result, the campgrounds have lost their charm, and look more like RV shows. Guess I should have put this rant in its own post!!

MrDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 10:35 AM   #3
Name of the dealer is Longview RV in CT. They were rude and inconsiderate. I would never buy an rv from them
Old 08-08-2015, 10:42 AM   #4
As for the campgrounds I'd agree.... Lot more rv peeps. But what disturbs me are the seasonal campers who just pile their garbage and other crap around their sites. Living like hobo's letting stuff rot on their campsites
Old 08-08-2015, 10:48 AM   #5
It is more common than not with any trailer. FR does not have the same type of contracts as car/truck dealers do with their dealers.

However, I will say that FR is quick to reimburse.

I purchased my Flagstaff in Denver and had to have a new winch motor installed after the first use. So, I took it to a FR dealer in Grand Junction CO, who no longer sold popups but still serviced popups and they replaced the power winch.

I scanned in the paid bill from the GJ dealer, emailed it to FR and had a check in a week or two.

Just the way it works....
Trailer: Lifted 228BH, heavy duty springs and Yokohama tires
TV: 2016 GMC Sierra Z71 4x4 CC, SLT
Spare TV: Two Alaskan Malamutes

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 11:46 AM   #6
I also had warrantee issues with my 2015 TT and when I attempted to get service from a dealer I received the same response. "we didn't sell the vehicle so we won't work on it" I made the assumption that since the auto industry honors their products at their dealerships that the RV manufacturer would be the same. Well, I received an education after my purchase. The closest dealership was 150 miles away who would perform the work. You can imagine how cumbersome it was to drive 150 miles twice, once to diagnose the problem and again to do the repairs after approval and parts were obtained. Recently I spoke to FR warrantee department and was informed that they had repair facilities through out the country ( non-dealerships) and found eight in my area.

My suggestion to all is to call FR first to find out where repairs can be made.
gskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 11:55 AM   #7
We've been having same problem with warranty work. Only had our 5th wheel 4 Mos and the tv antenna quit and there have been some other minor but irritating issues with water leaks on the exterior latch doors. Purchased from a dealer 5 hrs away because no one sold what we wanted local. Now local FR dealer has told us same story. Didn't buy from them they can't help. There needs to be changes in the RV industry because they aren't cheap and then you can't get repairs. We've been trying for over a month to get FR to help and so far we're still without service options. Ridiculous.
2015 Thunderbolt XLR 340x12
2011 HD Street Glide
2012 HD Softail Deluxe
2015 Ford F250 SuperCrew
mgmalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 12:00 PM   #8
I purchase my FR 5'er from discount Rv in banning CA. Had several warranty issues. Even though they were a FR dealer the work was terrible. I found J&L RV REPAIR in Fontana CA. TOP NOTCH repairs. They did a walk-through and found more warranty items. Called FR and got authorization to repair. I will never go back to dealership ever, especially to buy another rig from them.
lckeehne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 12:21 PM   #9
2012 Solera
My experience, now three years dated, was similar to that of Ickeehne. I found a local RV repair shop which seemed much more skilled and responsive than the dealer. Forest River reimbursed me for the repairs, and for parts I bought and installed myself for other minor warranty issues.
My thoughts on this - dealers are focused on sales, and see service as a necessary evil and an expense to be minimized. As a result, their (typically understaffed and minimally trained/experienced) service departments are mediocre or worse. Independent repair facilities are dependent on their service work for all of their income. If they don't hire, train and retain qualified and knowledgeable personnel they go out of business. Internet and social media reports identify their strengths and weaknesses quickly.
I'm sure there are some good dealer service facilities out there - but, I found, not near me!
2012 Solera "S"
Calif SF Bay Area
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 12:24 PM   #10
I'm not defending the dealers, just presenting a different POV on this.

Is a camper like a car or a house?

I think it's much more like a house than a car. If you buy a new house and you have issues you have to go the builder that built your house and sold it to you to have them solved. I wouldn't expect builder B who has no relationship with builder A to take care of builder A's warranty issues, even if they sold the exact same house with the exact same materials in it. Would you?

Just sharing a thought, don't really expect to change anyone's mind about anything.

Jack and Jan
Nights camped 2014 - 8 | Nights camped 2015 - 23 | Nights camped 2016 - 24
2015 Ford Super Duty F350 > Blue Ox Swaypro WD Hitch > 2015 Rockwood Windjammer 3008W
strat56 is offline   Reply With Quote

dealer, service, warranty