Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2014, 09:47 AM   #1

Water filter bi-pass?

Hey all I have a 2015 HWSC31 Flagstaff ( which I love) and was getting ready to winterize and could not figure out how to bi- pass the water filter. If anyone can show me correct setting on the valves that go into the filter I would be thankful.
caver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:04 AM   #2

Don't bypass it, take out the filter. You don't want to leave a filter in water for the winter........
TT 2014 Rockwood Roo 183
TV 2012 Nissan Armada
EricInColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:10 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I was going to remove mine but the Mrs. wants to keep it. So I just removed the filter (threw it away), put in an empty, sealed Snapple bottle (paper label removed), and added antifreeze to it (about 3/4ths full) and replaced it.
Some water filters have a black seal on the top that you don't want to lose, so watch out for that if yours has it. (Mine did not)
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:14 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

He might be trying to bypass it just to avoid wasting antifreeze by filling the canister.

Depending on the filter, some people have had success with placing a metal plate in the top of the filter housing. This effectively makes the canister 'smaller'. Those that have them should have received them with the trailer. Others have places empty water bottles in the housing, just to take up space. Still others have eliminated the filter altogether, based on reports of the filters leaking. Last option is to pick up some valves and build your own bypass. Just make them work the same way you would for the hotwater tank.

But in short, unless you're one of the ones who got a plate with their filter housing, then no, there's no built in bypass.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:33 PM   #5

Ive seen the plates on ebay but the reviews said they leak.
kinma13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 10:28 AM   #6

I took the filter out and left it in the tube empty. Never had one with a water filter in it before, always take bottle water for drinking/ cooking so I do not need the filter. Mine has two small valves in line with the filter but they dont seem to do anything. Might try to bi-pass the whole unit next spring.
caver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
He might be trying to bypass it just to avoid wasting antifreeze by filling the canister.

Depending on the filter, some people have had success with placing a metal plate in the top of the filter housing. This effectively makes the canister 'smaller'. Those that have them should have received them with the trailer. Others have places empty water bottles in the housing, just to take up space. Still others have eliminated the filter altogether, based on reports of the filters leaking. Last option is to pick up some valves and build your own bypass. Just make them work the same way you would for the hotwater tank.

But in short, unless you're one of the ones who got a plate with their filter housing, then no, there's no built in bypass.
You don't have to waste antifreeze. I take my filter out wipe out canister and replace it.Then I add my antifreeze.When I dewinterize it I dump the canister back in a empty jug which is about a half a gallon.It is full strength it doesn't have any water in it bc it fill up the canister first
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:19 AM   #8

I have seen post where folks have removed the filter completely. I am going to do that with mine. I use a filter I buy at Wally World on the hose connection. With it being under the bathroom sink and having to take out two screws to get to it, I think it better just to remove it. If it develops a leak you wont know until it is to late.
psrujak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:47 AM   #9

It is just my opinion but I feel those who have a built in water filter should remove it.

Not because they are going to save a bucks worth of A/F but because of the damage that can occur when the housing leaks.

Reuse the one you have or buy one and but it outside.

Shop Whirlpool Valve-In-Head Clear with Sediment Filter at Lowes.com=

A bucket or a milk crate or even buy one of these to hold it.

http://www.waterfilters.net/assets/i...tand-15460.jpg

Even the Camco RV Water Filter from Walmart any of these are worth it.

We winterize to protect our investment, the outside water filter is a wise investment.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:08 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBass View Post
You don't have to waste antifreeze. I take my filter out wipe out canister and replace it.Then I add my antifreeze.When I dewinterize it I dump the canister back in a empty jug which is about a half a gallon.It is full strength it doesn't have any water in it bc it fill up the canister first

Oh, I didn't mean waste as in 'have to get rid of it'. I just meant waste as in 'the amount you need to have on hand doesn't need to be as much as you think.

I know people who resale their antifreeze. For that matter, I've got an uncle who's been using the same gallon for about 5 years now. He just collects it from the low point drains in the spring and puts it back in the lines in the fall.

I don't have low points on mine so I can't do it like that, but I do plan on saving what's in my canister.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Tags
water, water filter