Old 01-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #1

Water heater in a tent trailer?

Did a quick search here but didn't find anything. Has anyone out there installed a water heater in their tent trailer and lived to tell about it 8>)? This would be a luxury, obviously. Not much room for a larger water tank, so I suppose it would have to be some sort of an electric "instant hot" deal combined with using shore water.

Thanks!

Gary

Old 01-30-2012, 12:01 PM   #2

We had a forest river HW27 SC that came with one, fit under the bench seat. If you can find the specs to this one, not knowing what pop up you have i do know if one will fit, they would not be difficult to install.

*Discount RV Sales - Metro Atlanta, GA

2006 Police Roadking FLHPi
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:52 PM   #3

I seem to remember that Coleman had some kind of Hot Water device that could be something that might work for you. Not sure but it was a few years ago that they marketed it.

Jim & Kathy
Bailey, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
Gracie, a rescued Beagle
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2008 FR Surveyor 233T
JimChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #4

Most popup trailers have an option for a water heater, it's most often the standard 6 gallon water heater found in most travel trailers, in the popup that I used to have the only difference was it was propane only and did not have an auto light, you had to light the pilot each time you set up camp.

Installing one in an existing trailer would only be as difficult as routing water and propane lines and selecting the location where you could afford to lose storage space.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:25 AM   #5

Thanks for sharing your thoughts...

I spent a little time searching for electric instant water heaters for campers and one site that came up is: Electric Tankless Water Heaters, Point of Use and Instantaneous Electric Hot Water Heaters

My pup is small and most of the storage is over the wheel wheels (where the dinette seats are), in the sink cabinet, and by the door. The sink cabinet would be ideal, obviously. I'll need to open up the pup and see what the best options might be. I'm not thinking of taking showers with this thing, but it would be nice to wash one's hands or maybe a few dishes or whatever with hot water. Don't want to mess with propane connections. I don't plan to camp where there's no shore power. So, this just might be feasible. I'm getting the urge to go camp someplace! January's a long a dreary month...

Gary
Old 01-31-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
Mostly Harmless

That sounds like a nice heater. The smallest one still uses 12.5 amps, though, so you'd need to make sure the total amperage of the heater and other items in use while the heater is on don't go above the circuit capacity.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:06 PM   #7

These are handy, Amazon.com: 2.5 Gallon Electric Water Heater - 14" x 15": Automotive

and this one on the same site is 60$ cheaper for the same thing
http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-GL2-5-2-...sim_sbs_auto_1

http://rvpdi.com
Acableguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:24 PM   #8

Ham and cable...

Clever, huh?

Anyway, thanks for your comments. The links don't seem to go to the right place, but I guess your point is that I should go see what's on Amazon. Good point also about watching out for overloading the circuit!

Gary
Old 02-01-2012, 07:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhnsmith View Post
Anyway, thanks for your comments. The links don't seem to go to the right place, but I guess your point is that I should go see what's on Amazon. Good point also about watching out for overloading the circuit!

Gary
Not really, I was showing two links to the 2.5 gal Convenience hot water tanks, they are 1500 watt or 1500/120= 12.5 amps as mentioned by another poster, they are also pretty small many possibility's for placement. Amazon had then for a few different prices one was $218 the other was $159 for the same thing. My point was, once you find what you want to get shop around there are some good deals on the common types of things. Also if you want a regular 6 gal propane RV water heater I bought a new in box Attwood on ebay last year for less than $300 including shipping and with the new door/cover. Ant the seller had many of them there are actually a lot of them out there. Yes this was the base model but its all I wanted in a 17 year old camper.

http://rvpdi.com
Acableguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:54 AM   #10

Coleman Hot Water on Demand

Kuhnsmith,

I purchased a Coleman Hot Water on Demand years ago when they first came out with these. We still owned a popup camper at that time and purchased it for use with the popup. We still have the Coleman Hot Water on Demand; it is one of the best camping devices we have ever owned.

It connects directly to a water spigot or you can pump water from the container that comes with the unit. It delivers hot water instantly and works as promised. As well as using for camping, we have used it for cookouts and emergencies.

If you PM me, I will explain how we made a shower in the popup for use with the Coleman Hot Water on Demand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coleman Hot Water on Demand.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	10156  

campdohbrew is offline   Reply With Quote