Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2011, 02:31 PM   #1

Water Pump - re: winterization

Hello all, i am in the process of winterizing my rockwood popup. After draining the water i have put 2 gallons of rv anti freeze into the fresh water tank. I have moved the valves to bypass the hot water tank, but when i go to turn on the pump, no water or air is going through the faucet. I hear the pump running, so im just curious if its the simple fact that i don't have enough anti freeze in the tank or something else? I thought i would still hearair even if the fluid levels were not high enough? Help!
joltdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:36 PM   #2

Remove suction side fitting and place tube for drawing A/F into F/W system,then turn on pump. Then drain F/W tank A/F back into A/F jugs. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:39 PM   #3

Give this thread a read on how to retro-fit a valve for feeding antifreeze into your system without using the fresh tank:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...mco-17570.html

If you try to do it with the fresh tank, you will end up using 8+ gallons of antifreeze - you probably only need 1 or 2 with the valve attached to your pump.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:45 PM   #4

So pretty much you are both saying i did it the hard way and need to add quite a few more gallons for the pump to pick up the anti freeze?
Old 11-03-2011, 06:18 PM   #5

If you have a drain for your fresh water tank you can drain/capture the antifreeze and start over using the pump.

2011 Rockwood 8285 WS
2011 GMC 3500 HD 4X4, 6.0, 4.10, SRW
Hoo Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:40 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

my camper takes 5 through the pump but I have an outside kitchen and an outside shower.

pouring through the fresh tank is double expensive and double time consuming !

going through the fresh water tank can use up to 12 gallons just to get it to go through pump !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:22 AM   #7
daydreaming about camping

If yours is like mine, the pump pick-up line ot he fresh water tank is about 2 inches from the bottom of the tank, which is probably 2 or more gallons still in the fresh water tank when the pump runs dry.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
If yours is like mine, the pump pick-up line ot he fresh water tank is about 2 inches from the bottom of the tank, which is probably 2 or more gallons still in the fresh water tank when the pump runs dry.
You are correct, it looks like the pink is in level with the pickup line but i only put 2 gallons in so i assume i need a little more
Old 11-04-2011, 09:31 AM   #9
(Kim)

The FR handbook states that 4-6 gallons are needed if using the FW tank, so it makes sense that 2+ will be used in the system and 2 stay in the tank.
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 11:42 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labzy View Post
The FR handbook states that 4-6 gallons are needed if using the FW tank, so it makes sense that 2+ will be used in the system and 2 stay in the tank.
Kim,

Does your FR manual actually recommend adding AF to the FW tank or are they just saying ..."if you choose to do it this way"?

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:29 PM   #11
Site Team

putting antifreeze in the FW tank is not necessary nor in the water heater.
this wastes a lot of AF and it will take you lots of flushing to get the taste out of the water.
winterizing is done mainly for the smaller water lines that can burst from any water in them freezing.
both the WH and the FW tank have room for the ice expanding, if there is a little water remaining. same thing for the holding tanks.

the AF in the FW tank will leave a bad taste for a long time.
that's why winterizing kits tap right into the pump, bypassing the FW tank. they are meant to avoid putting AF in the FW tank.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:26 PM   #12

So i went and got 4 more gallons of antifreeze, and now my FW tank is clearly full. I go to turn on the pump, and again it turns on, i can hear it, but nothing is being pumped to the faucet. I am going crazy, I can't figure out what is going on. This is a brand new 2012 rockwood popup so i know there are no leaks. I have attached pictures of my FW tank filled with AF and also my hot water bypass showing the knobs in bypass position.

The only thing i can think of is that I have not drained my hot water tank, but i did let air into it since I was planning on draining it, but I am waiting on a 1 1'16th socket from a friend. Is it possible that my letting the air in and not pulling the hot water heater plug that this is causing the pump not to bring water to the faucet?

Old 11-05-2011, 07:39 AM   #13
(Kim)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Kim,

Does your FR manual actually recommend adding AF to the FW tank or are they just saying ..."if you choose to do it this way"?
The FR owners manual gives instructions to winterize the TT 2 ways.

#1. Winterizing with compressed air (if you have bypass kit installed).

#2. Winterizing with AF only (which includes filling FW with AF).

Pages 48-49 to be exact.

I think it is because of this that I did not worry too much about adding it to the FW, and also because we never drink the TT water.

As for the OP and his problems, I also was confused by the bypass levers that were around my water pump, and I was not sure which one closed off the AF outlet or the FW supply, (or if they even did that )as I could not follow the hose up far enough to see without pulling the floor apart.

Check these 2 levers, maybe that is why you are not able to pump AF.
DH (Alan), DD (Madison) and Zoey the lab,
Labzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 08:35 AM   #14

The 3 way valve in kits thats used to put anti-freeze at the fresh water pump can be a problem. Just use the tubing/connector and hook to inlet side of pump. The valve can allow air into inlet (noisy). It happened to me, tried tightening fittings, teflon tape on threads, assumed air entering around valve stem. Removed valve; pump was quieter and better flow. Its best to keep it simple sometimes.
Chicken Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:58 AM   #15

My suggestion: Leave ALL taps and faucets CLOSED. Then turn on the power to activate the water pump and let it run until it pressurizes the system and shuts off by itself. Then open the taps and faucets one at a time until the pink stuff comes out of each one, then close that one and go to the next one - repeat with each. If the water pump will not shut off automatically, you have an open tap/faucet somewhere OR you have a leak somewhere that is not letting the system pressurize.

...VTX-AL
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 05:49 PM   #16

I was finally given guidance by my local RV dealership and have fixed the problem. The water pump just needed to be primed with another tube dumping water directly into the pump as some of you stated. This worked and i have officially winterized my camper bymyself for the first time, woot!