Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2012, 07:23 PM   #1

water tank help !!!!! please and thank you :)

Hey everyone. I have not been on here in a few months. I hope this has not been covered yet, but I need help.

My fresh water tank has about 1 1/2-2 inches of water in it. I cannot drain it completely since the drain is above the bottom of the tank. I have a 2012 Flaggstaff 206LTD pop up. The water tank is under the bench seat which is impossible to get at without opening the camper.

Question is....

Can I leave this water in the tank for the winter. Will the tank burst if it freezes? I am in Rhode Island and we are just starting to get our cold weather.

I have heard that these tanks can have some water freeze in them. How true this is I do not know. I know I can put rv antifreeze in the tank but I really do not want to since it would be hard to flush the tank completely since I cannot drain it completely.

Thanks all!
Old 11-14-2012, 08:09 PM   #2

A lot of F/R water tanks have a 1-1/2 up the side water pick up. Why I dont know. But to be a true DRAIN it needs to be in the bottom. My tank had a side pick up,but I had the F/R factory change it to the bottom drain for 100% use of the fresh water from the tank. I think they (forgot) your F/W tank drain! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

IMO, I wouldn't worry about it. Ideally it would have been better to empty it as much as you can...I used to put wedges under the one end to try to drain it. Whatever water is left in the tank will expand when it freezes but as there's very little in the tank, it won't do any damage. I'd leave it with the drain valve open.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:03 PM   #4
Incheon, S. Korea

If you put a little ethelyne glycol in it won't freeze, but you'll have to sanitize it in spring. The water will most likely expand upwards if it does freeze, but it can crack the tank. I'd open the trailer....
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:16 PM   #5

When I know I'm not going to use the TT for awhile I take the cap off the FW tank drain on the way home. By the time it sloshes around while driving, it's pretty empty when we get home. Not much help for now, but maybe next year...
bob213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #6

Don't put ethelyne glycol in you fresh water tank. This is from wikipedia "Ethylene glycol is toxic, and ingestion can result in death." Only use the RV non toxic antifreeze in the potable water supply lines.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 11:25 AM   #7
Incheon, S. Korea

Yup, but I've been in Korea so long that I don't know about non-toxic anti-freeze. We can't get that here unless I ship it from the states. $$$!
A bunch of salt would work too!
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote