Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2013, 04:37 PM   #1

WDH or sway control?

I got a new HW276 Friday that I'll be towing with my Jeep Liberty. On the way home, it started wagging pretty good at ~60mph. The guys at Camping World recommended the EAZ Lift sway control. I've been reading on here about the Equal-I-zer and the Reese WDH. Is there a consensus on which is best for a TV with a small wheel base pulling a popup?
CampinDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
Engineer of Crazy Train

I would say both! There are 2 recommendations. One, is the reese 350, which I have a brand new one that I am looking to get rid of. If you are between RI and DC, let me know.

The 2nd, the reese sc, but this may be overkill.

Both are a WDH with built in sway control.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:46 AM   #3

All the way down in SC unfortunately. Called the dealer back today and he too recommended the EAZ Lift Sway Control to start with. Said he hasn't put many WDHs on PUPs. Looks like the sway control will be ~$50-60 from Camping World with ~90 install. Suppose worst case I give that a go and then upgrade if still experiencing sway.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:20 AM   #4

For towing our HW296, I have a Husky round bar WDH and a friction sway bar. I keep the weight bars lightly loaded as it doesn't take much given the relatively low tongue weight (~400#), and an old fashioned friction sway bar is generally adequate for a PUP.

Bob
2013 Rockwood HW296
w4drr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:12 PM   #5

Thanks Bob.

I was talking to the service guy at Camping World as well as the dealer I bought it from and they presented 2 options.

1. Install a sway bar and then if necessary, follow up with a WDH.
2. Jump to the WDH with sway control.

I opted for #1 and dropped if off today to have the EAZ Lift Sway Control installed. The only concern the CW guy presented was the potential difficulty in getting a WDH to attach due to the propane tanks and winch on the tongue. Do you have a picture of how yours is set up since it sounds like I may end up with the same?

Also, he recommended increasing the rear tire pressure on the TV. My Jeep calls for 34-36psi and he said he typically increases his Tacoma to 45psi before towing. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks again.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:20 PM   #6

We used to have a very light single axle camper. I seldom noted any need for the wd side of the hitch so one time I only used the sway bar. One section of hiway had the exact spacing of expansion joints to harmonic with the axles of the tv and rv. Not only did it make for thoughts of seasickness in the tv but it unrolled the toilet paper and the paper towels in the rv. After that I always used the wd with a light linkage.
Timtation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:20 PM   #7
Engineer of Crazy Train

Well worst case, get the friction and standard WDH. The chains won't be vertical, but as close to vertical as you can get them. My chains on my Reese Dual Cam are not vertical due to my propane tanks.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:37 PM   #8

WDH and sway control is not a bad idea, but I'm wondering if the tongue weight is light. If I read your post right, this tow experience was comming home from the dealer, likely with the unit empty, correct? I see that there is a front storage hatch, once that is loaded up with a couple hundred pounds, it should help the sway.

The specs on the trailer puts the dry tonque weight around 10% overall which is a bit light. Should aim closer to 15%, which it likely will be once you load it up.

A properly loaded trailer will help, then the WDH/sway control should make it rock solid.
SCOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOC View Post
WDH and sway control is not a bad idea, but I'm wondering if the tongue weight is light. If I read your post right, this tow experience was comming home from the dealer, likely with the unit empty, correct? I see that there is a front storage hatch, once that is loaded up with a couple hundred pounds, it should help the sway.

The specs on the trailer puts the dry tonque weight around 10% overall which is a bit light. Should aim closer to 15%, which it likely will be once you load it up.

A properly loaded trailer will help, then the WDH/sway control should make it rock solid.
Hadn't thought about that. Only thing in the front compartment was the small outdoor grill and the power cord...
Old 05-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #10

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of it hitched up, but I did run out and take a picture of one side of the front where you can see the chain hanger for the WDH and the sway control ball mount fit OK. We are assuming the front of your HW276 is identical to our HW296.

Bob
2013 Rockwood HW296
Old 05-28-2013, 07:20 PM   #11

Looks identical. Thanks Bob!

Picked it up with the sway control installed and was easily able to get it up to 65mph without any wagging.

Last question (for now): does your propane cover stay on when driving? Mine lifts off almost immediately.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:32 PM   #12

I had the same issue with my propane cover on my pup (towing with an escape). Something about the profile launched every time. I just used a bungee cord to hold it down. (A 5 gallon bucket lid made a nice replacement top)
tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:14 PM   #13

To date we have never had any issue with the propane cover.

Bob
2013 Rockwood HW296
Old 05-28-2013, 09:07 PM   #14

Mine started to come off after a few trips. Bought the plastic on and doesn't have that problem anymore.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:40 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
Mine started to come off after a few trips. Bought the plastic on and doesn't have that problem anymore.
Same here.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #16
Incheon, S. Korea

Did anyone cover over-inflating the TV tires? That's a big no-no. Get better tires.
Someone posted a Goodyear bulletin saying to add 10 psi if traveling over 65 mph, but that's a very unique thing to Goodyear.
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote