Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 3
Weight questions - Rockwood Freedom 2280/Flagstaff MAC 228

Can anyone who owns a late model Rockwood Freedom 2280/Flagstaff MAC 228 (with shower cassette, H/W, fridge, A/C, heater) give me approximate numbers for Gross Weight (no cargo) and Tongue Load? My wife and I are thinking of buying a new one, but I'm trying to determine if my TV is up to the challenge of pulling this safely. I know the Dry Weight and Dry Tongue Load, but need to know what these become once a full propane tank and battery are added in.
__________________

__________________
jherrington93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
Member
 
Zambolie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 77
Just yesterday, I went to a CAT scale. Now, I did leave the trailer hooked up; but the trailer weighed 2140#

Full propane but empty FW tank. So if I add the water to the tank with approx 5 gallons of water in the WH and 5 gallons in the cassette

30(gallons of water) * 8.4= 252

Close to 2400lbs. I have my cast iron and all other amenities packed in the camper.
__________________

__________________
2015 MicroLite 21FBRS
2009 Ford Sport Trac 4.6L
If you're ever lost... set up camp and now you're home!
Zambolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 3
Thanks for the info Zambolie! You wouldn't happen to know the tongue weight for your PUP in that configuration would you? My issue is that my TV only has a 350# max and I know that the dry weight for a 2280 is 331#. I'm worried that I'll be over that before I ever get it off the dealer's lot.
__________________
jherrington93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by jherrington93 View Post
Thanks for the info Zambolie! You wouldn't happen to know the tongue weight for your PUP in that configuration would you? My issue is that my TV only has a 350# max and I know that the dry weight for a 2280 is 331#. I'm worried that I'll be over that before I ever get it off the dealer's lot.
IMO, pretty likely. The dry weight is before "options" are added - (tongue in cheek towards the mfr's advertising not you) - you know, little things like propane and a battery.
__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 3
Would using a WDH, which would lessen the vertical load on the hitch, compensate if the tongue load is above the max?
__________________
jherrington93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:08 PM   #6
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,779
Unfortunately I don't know enough about WDH hitches. But, what is your tow vehicle? It possibly can't take a WDH. Check your owner's manual.
__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:26 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Jeep4Two's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Louisville, Kentucky
Posts: 615
WDH redistributes the weight load but does nothing to the total weight that actually sits in the ball.

Think about a lever lifting at the receiver. This pushes up on the rear of the receiver providing torque to redistribute the weight lifting the rear of the TV and that weight shifts to the front. The lever action also adds weight to the trailer axle(s) as the lifting is from the spring bar tension pulling down on the trailer frame.

This gives more stability by getting more if the weight in the from axle and trailer axle(s) while reducing sag and weight that was on the rear axle.

The actual weight at the ball and hitch is still however the same.
__________________
Jeep4Two
2011 FR Rockwood Premiere A126 Hard Side
TV=2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2 Dr
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:22 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 102
Balancing tongue weight

Just bought a 228 with shower myself. I am also trying to keep tongue weight down. Dealer put the battery on the inside under the gaucho bed (with sealed cover and vent to outside) to counter the weight of LP tank. Just something to consider for yours.
__________________
steamboatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:45 PM   #9
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep4Two View Post
WDH redistributes the weight load but does nothing to the total weight that actually sits in the ball.

Think about a lever lifting at the receiver. This pushes up on the rear of the receiver providing torque to redistribute the weight lifting the rear of the TV and that weight shifts to the front. The lever action also adds weight to the trailer axle(s) as the lifting is from the spring bar tension pulling down on the trailer frame.

This gives more stability by getting more if the weight in the from axle and trailer axle(s) while reducing sag and weight that was on the rear axle.

The actual weight at the ball and hitch is still however the same.
Don't think that's quite right, but will defer to the experts. The wdh increases the downward force on the ball, but lifts the whole hitch head and thus decreases the actual load on the rear axle of the tv and increases it on the trailer & tv front axle.
__________________
OldCoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:57 PM   #10
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboatscott View Post
Just bought a 228 with shower myself. I am also trying to keep tongue weight down. Dealer put the battery on the inside under the gaucho bed (with sealed cover and vent to outside) to counter the weight of LP tank. Just something to consider for yours.
Interesting. Keep in mind, for proper sway control - you want 10%-15% of the weight to be on the tongue. Too little and it can induce sway.
__________________

__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39 AM.