Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2014, 10:36 PM   #1

What is the maximum charge rate using converter on 2516G?

I have a Rockwood Premier 2516G (2015 model year). The instruction manual that came with the built-in converter seems to indicate maximum DC output of 30A. Is this the effective maximum charge rate as well (assuming no other draws)?

I ask because I'm trying to understand whether my time running a generator to recharge the battery will be minimized by using the built in converter with shore power cord, or by bringing along and using a 20A dedicated portable charger.
davido_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:56 AM   #2

30 amps is about it.........most multistage chargers begin with 30 amps and then back off as the battery charges. Now, not knowing the total of what you may be running, you still would be better off using 30 amp built in charger over the 20 amp.
Trevor43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:16 AM   #3

You also want to consider voltage as well. It's the voltage that actually "pushes" the amps while charging. Typically, stock converters bulk charge at 14.4v but that may not be what you're actually getting at the batteries themselves. Most higher end deep cycle batteries prefer anywhere from 14.8 to 15 (check with your batteries mfg.). With your converter running, I would check the voltage being delivered at the battery terminals before making any hard and fast decisions.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by davido_ View Post
I have a Rockwood Premier 2516G (2015 model year). The instruction manual that came with the built-in converter seems to indicate maximum DC output of 30A. Is this the effective maximum charge rate as well (assuming no other draws)?

I ask because I'm trying to understand whether my time running a generator to recharge the battery will be minimized by using the built in converter with shore power cord, or by bringing along and using a 20A dedicated portable charger.
Maximum charge rate is only useful when in "bulk charge" mode, and then the maximum charge rate (amps) is related to battery size. If you have a single size 24 battery (85 amp-hours), the maximum desirable bulk charge rate is somewhere around 21 amps (25% of capacity). But bulk charge mode only applies to when the battery is at 50% to 80% of charge. After that, a 3 stage converter/charger switches to a different mode (reduced charge) to avoid overheating and/or boiling the battery. Charge rate tapers down to nothing as charge approaches 100%.

You don't want to run your battery down below 50% charge. Running it down further really reduces its lifespan. So the time difference in recharging a small battery (120 AH or less) at a 30 amp or 20 amp rate from 50% to 80% is literally a matter of a few minutes. The 80% to 100% charge time is not affected by the current rating, but it will be affected by the fixed voltage of the charger in this mode. A higher voltage will charge slightly faster, but at more risk to the battery.

Because it makes so little difference, why carry a separate charger? Just plug the generator into the trailer and let the converter do the work while you enjoy the AC (your converter draws about 400 watts while in bulk charge mode (much less in other modes), leaving the remaining generator capacity for AC loads).

my thoughts, your choices
Fred W
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter