Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2015, 10:01 AM   #1

What roof rack to I buy?

I have a sit on top tandem kayak that weighs seventy-five pounds. So far I have been strapping it to my Jeep roof. It is causing some damage with the paint so I want to attach it to my trailer with a roof rack.

What do I look for in a rack? As I as mentioned, I have a kayak but I would also like to include two bicycles.

My pop up is 84 inches wide.

Is this something I can safely install myself or is it advisable to have it installed by the RV shop?
Old 05-21-2015, 10:09 AM   #2

I would get a rack like this SportRack Pop-Up Camper Roof Rack - Square Crossbars - Steel SportRack Ladder Racks SR1020 they are designed for popup roofs. Other manufactures make them as well.
Here as well http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/sp...l#.VV31pE9VhBc

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 11:05 AM   #3

One of my work colleagues just told me that pop up trailers are not strong enough for what I want to do. Is this true?
Old 05-21-2015, 11:49 AM   #4

As long as you don't go over your max trailer weight you should be OK. The max on the bars I linked to is around 200 lbs so with a 75 lb kayak you could be close with two bicycles. You should be ok as long as the weight of the bars is on the side of the roof and only load it with the roof closed. I have seen lots of popups with this style of roof rack on them.

Old 05-21-2015, 11:55 AM   #5
Site Team

Years ago when I had a pop-up, I strapped a bike rack with 5 bikes on top of it with ratcheting tie-downs. Also walked on it quite a few times. While closed of course. Never had a problem.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 10:37 AM   #6

I’m thinking of this rack.

SportRack Pop-Up Camper Roof Rack - Square Crossbars - Steel SportRack Ladder Racks SR1020

It extends beyond my side to side roof and can hold the weight of two hundred pounds, more than enough for one kayak and two bikes.

Now my question is where to put it. The roof footprint is seven by fourteen feet. The air conditioner is back left of the roof. I found this photo of my popup. Hope it helps. It’s a Rockwood HW 277.

http://toppersrvs.interactrv.netdna-...=600&width=800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
I would get a rack like this SportRack Pop-Up Camper Roof Rack - Square Crossbars - Steel SportRack Ladder Racks SR1020 they are designed for popup roofs. Other manufactures make them as well.
Here as well SportRack Camp Trailer Roof Rack System | Canadian Tire
Old 05-25-2015, 06:44 PM   #7

As far as where to put it. That may take some trial and error with sitting the bars on the roof and seeing how you bikes and kayak fit.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:30 PM   #8

I have also been thinking of how to carry a canoe on my popup, and I came across someone who built a PVC rack, that gets strapped down to the frame. Has anyone here seen or tried this method? I'm trying to avoid hard-mounting anything to the roof. Thanks!
Woody2472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 02:58 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody2472 View Post
I have also been thinking of how to carry a canoe on my popup, and I came across someone who built a PVC rack, that gets strapped down to the frame. Has anyone here seen or tried this method? I'm trying to avoid hard-mounting anything to the roof. Thanks!

Yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Years ago when I had a pop-up, I strapped a bike rack with 5 bikes on top of it with ratcheting tie-downs.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:40 AM   #10

What about this instead of drilling in my roof.

I came across this possible solution. Would my popup spare tire mount be strong enough for this setup? My two bikes combined weigh ninety pounds.

OSI Spare Tire Mount 3 Bike Rack by Surco
Old 06-01-2015, 02:07 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komodo View Post
I came across this possible solution. Would my popup spare tire mount be strong enough for this setup? My two bikes combined weigh ninety pounds.

OSI Spare Tire Mount 3 Bike Rack by Surco
NO!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:20 AM   #12

My final decision, Kayak goes on the TV roof, the two bikes on a front receiver hitch. I will see if it’s available for my Jeep, if not, into the trunk they go.

Thank you all for saving me a lot of grief.

Tags
roo, roof