Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2013, 10:01 PM   #1

Why didn't pre-delivery inspection catch these items?

Our new 2014 Flagstaff Mac 206ST has some issues, and I guess like a new car you sometimes have to take it back to the dealer right away (which for us unfortunately is over an hour away). However, these two problems should definitely have been caught by a pre-delivery inspection at Forest River and the dealer. (A PDI is something they both heavily tout.)

1. The tent/canvas panel to the left of the door is mounted in the bottom j-channel about two inches too far to the right. This makes it impossible to lock the nearest bunk lock and keep the canvas emergency exit zipper zipped down all the way. The tenting is also not fully inserted into the j-channel in a few places in the same area--like the mounting screws or whatever is holding it in there pushed it out--looks very sloppy. (pic attached)

2. One of the two plastic door clips that keep the full size door flush to the camper frame when installed is mounted about half a centimeter too low, making it impossible to rotate into position. In fact, I had to take it off completely to get the door to sit right.

I wish I could fix the tent problem myself but it looks like the whole thing would have to come down in order to back out the j-channel screws on the bottom. Otherwise, my dealer says they have to keep it for several weeks for any kind of warranty work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2029.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	36208  
Captain Stress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:51 AM   #2
Site Team

pretty minor list for most new RV's!
consider yourself lucky. most dealers do a lousy PDI and still charge customers for it.
and the factories certainly bear a large part of the blame but they are into production numbers more than quality control.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:05 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply, bikendan.

There are a few other items on my list. I just thought I would call those two out as they are top on my mind right now, especially the canvas issue. I don't want to take it back to the dealer for three weeks while they approve warranty work or whatever they do for that amount of time. It seems like a skilled worker could fix it in less than an hour.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:19 AM   #4
Always Learning

Can you talk to your dealer about scheduling a time to bring it and they can work on it right away? With email and pictures, I'm sure you can get them to "see" what needs done and use the pictures to get the warranty approved before you get there.

Then sit in their "waiting room" until it's done.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:25 AM   #5

I actually took the camper back to the dealer two weeks ago to show a service advisor the issues, thinking someone could fix it that day, me being a brand new customer and all. He said they absolutely have to keep it for three weeks for any kind of warranty work. (Is that true of other Forest River dealers?) We have a busy summer planned, so we don't plan on dropping it off anytime soon just to have it sit in their parking lot.

By the way, ependydad, your blog is great! Lots of good info.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stress View Post
I actually took the camper back to the dealer two weeks ago to show a service advisor the issues, thinking someone could fix it that day, me being a brand new customer and all. He said they absolutely have to keep it for three weeks for any kind of warranty work. (Is that true of other Forest River dealers?) We have a busy summer planned, so we don't plan on dropping it off anytime soon just to have it sit in their parking lot.
No, not all are like that. Our dealer suggests people take their new campers to a nearby campground so they can bring them right back if there are problems. Good dealers want you to be happily camping as soon as possible and will do what's necessary to help you. Now, after several months if something goes wrong, you might have to get in line behind a few others who are in the same situation.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:40 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stress View Post
No, my dealers have always scheduled and did not require me to drop it off to wait. Its all a scheduling issue and apparently a problem with this dealer and others who understaff and lack a service mentality.

Usually, I bring in the trailer for inspection and they will write-up the ticket and start the process getting approval and parts as needed. I then bring it back when everything is ready. It definitely does not sit waiting. I bring it in and its done that day or the next few days as required for the job.

You might have some other options if you find the wait intolerable...

You can also get parts directly from FR and do the work yourself, which is something you might want to do if this is how your dealer insists they need to operate.

Finally, you can also find another dealer who will work with you or a service shop that will accept warranty work. You might have to pay a service shop and get reimbursed by FR later.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:09 AM   #8

personally I have always viewed the PDI as dealer profit, for they never fix anything during or before it occurs, charge for it, than fix everything you find wrong with and submit warranty claim.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:45 AM   #9

Captin,

I have purchased 3 new RVs in the last 5 years and I have to tell you what somebody told me. All you are getting when you buy an new RV is the raw materials. The factory is cranking out rigs so fast it looks like time lapse photography. The dealer wants to stay in business and get the rigs off their bank loan and onto their customers. If you find a good dealer, hold on to them and build a good relationship with them - it is very valuable - even worth paying a little more for the same rig.

With that said, our new rig has a list of crazy stuff that was not right from the factory. We are still finding things. Luckily for us, I can fix most of them myself and usually go to the vendor for replacement components when needed. Our dealer is nearly 300 miles away and has a small town pace that is slower than mine. If I waited for him to fix what was wrong, I would never see any vacation with our new rig.

I have asked the same question: "how could they have missed this!?"

One example is two wooden framing pieces in the interior wall between the living room and the bunk room were a few inches short. One was significantly thicker than the rest of the wall. The designers had the structure right, the assemblers just used what wood was handy, and the wall was so weak it wiggled itself apart. Two days of work and two new pieces (cut to the right size) and we now have the wall we paid for.

This is just one of many on a 2014 custom ordered Cedar Creek. Why does this happen? you might ask. IMHO the consumer keeps driving the feature list up and the price down. The only thing left to cut is quality. Besides, these rigs are not simple.

2012 GMC 3500 Duramax Crew Cab, SuperGlide 20k
2014 Cedar Creek 36B4, LP Onan, Level-Up, Trail-Air pin, electric fridge
Campwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:39 PM   #10

We purchased a new rockwood HW296 last year,and have had it back to the dealer 3 times before we even used it. Things that should have been done in the factory,or at least fixed before we took delivery. Have taken it back 2 times sense our first 2 camping trips. It's a shame how bad the quality is now days. The price doesn't even guarntee better quality. My unit retails for over 22000,and it's just a tent camper
pmorris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:13 PM   #11
Incheon, S. Korea

Welcome to FR quality, or the lack thereof...
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote