Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2018, 03:23 PM   #101
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky2018 View Post
You couldn’t give me a site in one of those snob holes .I mean really unless your a full timer todays rigs are way over extreme , one has to ask what is camping really? If I or the group I run with need 5 slide outs , recliners, 80 inch TVs etc we will just stay home.Most of those people you never see outside of their palaces anyway unless they are going out to dinner....

Frankly, I'd enjoy watching my 60" outside television, but you'd probably come over and talk to me.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:38 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
Frankly, I'd enjoy watching my 60" outside television, but you'd probably come over and talk to me.

LOL
Springerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:43 PM   #103
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post

no need for talkin', the tv's on. SHH...

its all about the attitude of the camp hosts and other campers. there are lots of family friendly places that allow all types in that i wont be going back to because they dont like us weekenders invading "their space".
IsleDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:27 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleDog View Post
no need for talkin', the tv's on. SHH...

its all about the attitude of the camp hosts and other campers. there are lots of family friendly places that allow all types in that i wont be going back to because they dont like us weekenders invading "their space".
Agree 100% and would like that list!
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:35 PM   #105
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

If only Walmart had a pool and hot tub in each of their parking lots...

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:56 PM   #106
54 Years, 13 RV's

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
If only Walmart had a pool and hot tub in each of their parking lots...

They do. It's around back. Near the pond and Putt Putt. Don't you have the password?
Old 09-12-2018, 07:42 PM   #107
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Once you are over 55 you'll understand how these parks can be a good thing!

We live in one in Yuma, AZ...LOVE IT!

Ooppsseeyy...time to hit the pool!

No thanks. I'm well over 55. Been there, done that. Too many of these "residents" think they own the park. They complain about the campfires/smoke. They complain about people having a good time and laughing too loud. I had one instance where one of these senior citizens notified the management to have the Sherriff come out due to under-age drinking going on. Just my wife and I, and the couple camped next to us who were in their 40's. The poor Deputy just shook his head and walked back to his car. They complain about the kids on bicycles referring to them as "little monsters" (?) I guess these folks were never kids, they were just born elderly. THERE WILL BE NO FUN OF ANY KIND.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:35 AM   #108

Isn't it great that people like different types of camping? It gives us all a choice.

We prefer the state park type camping, but also enjoy the resort type camping. It all depends on where we are going and what kind of experience we want to have.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:43 AM   #109

yep, same here: we have times, especially in good temperate weather, that Local, State, and National parks are very enjoyable...getting out into the 'woods'... but other times we desire a 'resort' type get-a-way with a pool, hot tub, restaurants, and the like.

my folks camp way different from us - they only stay at either a State park or COE campground, but never an RV Park or resort...
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:01 AM   #110
Professional Curmudgeon

West Virginia has several state parks and COE campgrounds that we enjoy visiting. I particularly enjoy staying at Huntington Beach State Park in Newell's Inlet in South Carolina. Being retired military, we also stay at military campgrounds such as Fort Fisher Air Force Recreation Area in Kure Beach, North Carolina. Next month we'll be staying at Pirate Land in Myrtle Beach. We've often stayed at Myrtle Beach Travel Park and enjoy everything but the higher cost.

I also find the people that stay at travel parks are much more "watch worthy" than most other places!
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:05 AM   #111

Other than the "snob factor" I can't see a reason for why some campgrounds say no PU's (maybe they think they're just tents on wheels).

The "10 year rule" that was referred to in one of the posts has been around in a lot of campgrounds I've visited for years. I think it's a holdover from the days before there were any standards for wiring, gas plumbing, etc. Remember the "Paisley School Bus" craze after Woodstock? All kinds of DIY conversion vehicles with questionable "utilities" and many were a hazard to fellow campers if they caught fire.

I look at the side of my trailer (2018) and it has several certification stickers. One from the Fed's, one from the RVIA, and one from my state's department of labor and industries. A far cry from my old 1972 Prowler (that had aluminum 120 Vac wiring.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:18 AM   #112
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Since I got the 5'ver a little over three years ago I haven't been going to state park and national forest type CG's.

Not sure why...just haven't.

Probably because, even at 33-feet long, it is a little large for a lot of the forest CG's in the Colorado mountains!

Not to mention getting up some of those mountain roads is another feat in itself!

Of course...I no longer live in Colorado...

Here in Arizona the camping season is just about to start and that is going to change!

I now live in a park model at a 55+ RV park/resort in Yuma so I've already got the pool/hot tub thing all year long, so now my RV is going camping again!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:21 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
yep, same here: we have times, especially in good temperate weather, that Local, State, and National parks are very enjoyable...getting out into the 'woods'... but other times we desire a 'resort' type get-a-way with a pool, hot tub, restaurants, and the like.

my folks camp way different from us - they only stay at either a State park or COE campground, but never an RV Park or resort...
I have the hot tub and really nice kitchen at home (I don't care for restaurants). If I want a 'resort' there's a really nice one 3 miles from my house where I can use the pool and even get a massage for less than the cost of fuel to drive to a "Camping Resort".

When I Camp, I like to get out in the woods and with several hundred State and National Forest campgrounds within a 200 mile radius I head for one of them. If I can't think of something to do while there I just put the leash on the dog and follow him. He always has something to explore and when I come back from a "trek" with him I end up with several dozen more pictures.

Even though I am a Senior Citizen I can't quite see me sitting under the awning, watching tv, consuming alcoholic beverages all day and then just go into my "Camper" to sleep. I actually watched a couple do exactly that after driving over 1,000 miles to a remote campground in Montana. Place had fishing ponds, a nice river, etc, but they sat under their awning all day. Even younger than me.

If that's what I wanted to do I could stay home and even order meals to be delivered. Grub Hub, Uber Eats, local restaurants, all deliver now so one doesn't even need to turn on their stove if they don't want to.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:41 AM   #114

sounds like someone is doing exactly what he/she wants to do. Just like everyone else.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:12 PM   #115
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post

Our needs are similar, but slightly different. Like many, we really enjoy the Provincial Parks, being in trees and nature. But, on the other hand, I also really enjoy having full hookups. Around here, it's one or the other. Nature = dump station, FHU = RV resort.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:11 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhugo View Post
Stay at state parks.... Better than private parks in Michigan anyhow. Lots of pop ups at state parks.
Mostly true !!!
But drove thru Muskegon State Park yesterday,,,
no place for our little Sunseeker,,, pretty much tent camping !!!

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:56 AM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell D Pratt View Post
Our PU has hot water , shower, commode, AC with heat tape, furnace, heated bunks. What more can you ask for.
Mine too!
FLJeepChick is offline   Reply With Quote