Old 08-03-2013, 05:40 PM   #1
Winch cable snapped

Does anyone know how to change the winch cable on a 2011 Flagstaff 246D? Took family camping for holidays and after driving to the campground and starting to lift the top the cable snapped about 1 1/2 feet from the winch. Needless to say the top came crashing down and holidays were over before they started. Thankfully I only had it raised about 2 feet when it fell.

chesters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
| Goshen Stamping Co. Inc.

2012 Chevy Tahoe LTZ - HD tow package
2017 Rockwood 2703WS Emerald Edition
raspivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:16 AM   #3
Let me start by saying I over think and over plan everything. On my old Jayco PU this would not work because the main cable was too hard to get to but on My New Forest River the main cable is easily assessable. I carry a 10’ piece of 3/16 Amsteel blue supper strong rope and two Havens Cable Grips that are sized for your cable. This one will work for your needs. 1745#ht_208wt_1166 Why….If your main cable brakes you just tightly hand warp the blue rope around the wench barrel many times overlapping it as you rap it. Use the grip on the old cable at its furthest available point and wench it up as normal. The second grip is if you need to take another bite on the broken cable. Yes it sounds like a lot of work but if you just traveled a long distance this will keep your camping plains on track.
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 CTD
2012 Flagstaff MAC BR28TSC
2012 Days camped 23
2013 days camped 16
wayne in florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #4
Ok thanks sounds like it would be a great fix especially in a pinch.
chesters is offline   Reply With Quote