Old 07-24-2015, 12:33 AM   #1

winch lift system wont lower fully

Hi All, first post because I need some help. Will call dealer in the morning but we are leaving Saturday for the 1000 islands and its our first trip with our 2013 Forest River Flagstaff Mac 228 pop up camper.

We've lifted the top up and down a few times with no issues. Wifey has had it up a few days to clean and pack it before the trip. We go to close it up tonight and the auto lift system shuts down while the roof is still a foot and a half from being closed.

Open up the cover and even making an adjustment to the lower limit screw does no good because the entire plate seems WAY too far to the right. It would need to be about 3 inches left of where it is when it stops in order to lower the thing entirely.

I have no clue how that assembly could get that far to the right to cause this issue, Doesn't seem to want to move left no matter what finagling I try - I'm afraid of stripping the plate because its moving along the threaded bolt.

So, what are my options here? Is there something I'm overlooking? I can go to the manual crank, but I started doing it and it seems the plate wants to keep moving right, but I'm afraid I will break something if I crank it manually and theres nowhere for that plate to move.

Any ideas? See photo attached from the troubleshooting page most threads point me to. I dont have a photo of what mine looks like because its pitch black outside.

Thanks all!
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pop up lift troubleshooting.jpeg
Views:	162
Size:	686.1 KB
ID:	83954  

Old 07-24-2015, 12:58 AM   #2

Also to note, when the motor shuts off in the lowest spot it will go, I still have 1 layer worth of cable left on the spool, and there is still tension on the cable. Someone noted on Facebook I might have an issue somewhere between the spool and lift arms - not sure what.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:38 AM   #3

Under the high limit switch, inside all the grease is a nut that holds the long bolt that goes from the moving plate to the stationary plate (near the high limit switch). Remove that nut, the bolt will slide out.
You then spin the plate. Away from the lower limit switch to make the top go down further , toward the lower limit switch to make the top stop sooner.
Spin it one turn then press the switch down, check adjustment of roof. Do it again as necessary.
Once adjusted correctly, install long bolt and lock nut.
Then you might have to readjust the high limit switch.
Just did mine a week ago.
Don't forget to add more grease.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:13 AM   #4

Yes, I had that revelation this morning, however there is a gold colored nut and washer on that secondary bolt that would prevent me from pulling it all the way out. I dont know exactly how its staying in place because its not on threads or anything. But that guy is on super tight and doesnt seem to wanna budge. Do you think if I sprayed some WD-40 in there I could get them to move with a bit of force?

See link to picture of what I'm talking about.

http://i.imgur.com/pxUvdmd.jpg
Old 07-24-2015, 09:27 AM   #5

That area, where the manual crank nut is located is supposed to be packed in grease. On my unit, the nut was not that tight and since it was below the manual crank nut, it was greasy as heck in that area.
I put an open end wrench on the nut, then on turned the bolt with a ratchet from the other side.
But mine, as much as I'm beginning to hate it, has no rust on it like yours.
So, yes, spray some lubricant to free the nut.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:46 AM   #6

Dealer said the same thing. The manual crank nut was packed with grease, which of course I smashed through with the hand crank when I tried it. Will re-pack that as well when I get this straightened out.