Old 11-26-2011, 12:55 PM   #1

Wind and pop ups?

What kinds of winds have other pop up owners endured? Going thru a pretty good storm in Arizona and starting to wonder if we should hold camp or "pack it up"? Looking at about 40 mph gusts

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:02 PM   #2

We made it through winds with 80 MPH gusts. It was a *very* long night. But the trailer was fine. I am sure you have taken in your awning? you might want to also bungy it down. In high winds the bag awning would get lifted up and the dropped back down - not dangerous, but very noisy.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:08 PM   #3

Had a pop-up for one trip to San Felipe, Mex. Was fine, except on the way back camped one night camping in New Mexico, the wind blew pretty good, lifting the sleeping extension, which made tough sleeping. Since wife was freaking out, closed it up and slept in the Bronco. After that, made the Dodge maxi-van that I had been using since 1980, into more of a rv, and used that until 2000 when I bought my first 5th wheel. Even tho, been in high winds with both 5th wheels I have owned, haven't been that noticeable. Wayne
Old 11-28-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I had the wind bend the top canvas pole on my Coleman pop-up camper. I ended up collapsing that end and trying to sleep on the other end.....almost impossible with the wind that night. I cut that camping trip a little short.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:24 PM   #5

high winds

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
What kinds of winds have other pop up owners endured? Going thru a pretty good storm in Arizona and starting to wonder if we should hold camp or "pack it up"? Looking at about 40 mph gusts
I have attached D rings to heavy duty spring loaded guy ropes. They just clip over the existing catches we all have to secure roof section when dropped down for travel. I have yet to test them as our first trip out in the new pop up is in a few weeks time.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:28 PM   #6
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by goody59
I have attached D rings to heavy duty spring loaded guy ropes.
Could you post a photo? I'd like to see what size D rings you used, and where/how they hook on.
2000 Silverado 1500 pickup
60W solar system
2000W inverter generator
thehamguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:27 PM   #7

It will be next wed or thur before I could do that but just measure the lip of your roof catch and get a D ring with the straight section of the ring slightly longer than the width of your roof catch. Tie guy rope to the D ring and stake out the guy rope like you would a tent from the 4 corners to tent pegs.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:28 PM   #8

The straight section of D ring just sits in the valley of the lip on roof catches. Tension via the guy ropes (Mine are heavy duty spring loaded guy ropes) holds the D ring in place.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:36 PM   #9

living in a tent trailer during a windy day is no fun at all. Back to the 70's I had a Lionel tent trailer that got badly damaged by heavy winds. The 4 arms were bent and I could not lowered it after. Several years after I bought a 2003 Flagstaff and I made a mistake by buying a tent trailer again. This one did not bent but considering how bad they are in windy day it was a mistake to buy another one. You cannot beat a solid wall trailer. They are the best in protection and quietness.