Old 07-31-2013, 08:32 AM   #11

I had a 05 jayco 1407. Seems like every time we took it out we got caught in a storm. Never had any issues other than some sleepless nights. But one particular night we were at a local camp and during the night another storm came through and about 4am broke a branch off the tree we were under and collapsed one side of one bunk. Didn't do much damage. Pulled the Velcro loose. Bent the support bar slightly and scared the living sh*t out of my kids. Got the mattress and me wet from having to go out and get it off the top and refasten the Velcro. Luckily we were all in the other side. Wasn't long after my wife started talking about a TT. Go figure. Now we have the surveyor sv305.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by goody59 View Post
I installed 4 solid eye bolts in the roof section above each of the roof catches. Then I attach 4 guy ropes with spring fasteners to these and fasten down on about 45 degree angle with long solid tent pegs like a tent top. This steadies up the whole camper in high winds. I have a mesh wall on the outside of my awning attached in the sail track. This wall is also fastened down with guy ropes and a number of solid tent pegs. This also assists in high winds to stabalise the outfit.
I like the sound of this but am a little worried about drilling thru a new roof. Did you just drill a hole and attach the eye bolts with nuts and washers?

Also would you give more details on your mesh wall? Thanks!

Old 07-31-2013, 12:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBaron View Post
These are great ideas!
I am thinking of attaching to the lift poles (uprights?), as the roof seams/joints can pull apart from the forces.
I would still go the roof section. I used threaded eye bolts 2 nuts and two washers per bolt. Drilled into and through the side of roof section and then sandwiched the roof materials between the two nuts and two washers, one set on the outside and one set on the inside. It is the same strength area as used to mount the roof to base catches/clamps. Plenty of strength.
I would fear bending the support posts if I used them to tie off on and that would become an issue for retracting the supports in my van, a 2011 Forest River Flagstaff 205A.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmullen View Post
I like the sound of this but am a little worried about drilling thru a new roof. Did you just drill a hole and attach the eye bolts with nuts and washers?

Also would you give more details on your mesh wall? Thanks!
I just purchased a mesh mat at a camping store, it has brass eyeletts already. I had a friend sew in the sail rope on one side edge. The mesh mat was as wide as my awning and long enough to reach the ground from the awning set up. The sail rope slides in the awning's end that I had attached a sail track to. The whole mesh that already had brass eyeletts is then stretched down on an angle out from the awning and pegged down in eyeletts to the ground. The mesh wall gives me added privacy under awning and also braces the awning for strong winds. I added two guy ropes on the outside of awning corners too that gives even more strength.
It is not your one night set up as there is a bit involved but I use it for a set up for more that a few days stay.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:23 PM   #15
Incheon, S. Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by goody59 View Post
I would still go the roof section. I used threaded eye bolts 2 nuts and two washers per bolt. Drilled into and through the side of roof section and then sandwiched the roof materials between the two nuts and two washers, one set on the outside and one set on the inside. It is the same strength area as used to mount the roof to base catches/clamps. Plenty of strength.
I would fear bending the support posts if I used them to tie off on and that would become an issue for retracting the supports in my van, a 2011 Forest River Flagstaff 205A.
I will research this and post pics. Your approach seems reasonable, especially if you install the eye bolts in the same areas that the uprights lift the roof from.

BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote