Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2015, 02:58 PM   #1

Winterize n filter mod

Installed a winterizing kit and bypassed/removed onboard water filter. (Use inline water hose filter)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1444247881678.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	90923   Click image for larger version

Name:	1444247895437.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	90924   Click image for larger version

Name:	1444247910669.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	90925  
kinma13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:55 PM   #2

Just "embalmed" ours yesterday....so sad....another season gone away! Installed the bypass kit (on sale for $10 from Fleet Farm this week) and thought about taking the water filter out as we use the portable one on the hose as well. I was surprised at how heavy an thick the cup is. At first I thought it was glass! Don't understand how this thing just cracks or shatters on so many coaches. It seems to be quite heavy duty and is mounted very solid on my 2514G.
61cubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:00 PM   #3

Yeah it does, I even dropped it from waist height on cement and it just scaffed it. No crack or break not even a chip. My dealer sold me a bypass plate but I've been reading about how they leak so I didn't want that.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:31 PM   #4

If I take out the water filter, I thought they made a kit that replaced it that screwed back to where the filter was
flagst228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:16 PM   #5

Flagst228 not that I know of. The dealer did sell me a stainless steel plate that goes in place of the filter but there are alot of people that say they don't work or that it makes that housing leak.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:45 PM   #6

Why do they break?

They break because people let them freeze. It starts with a small crack, and it grows for months or even years. That is why they sometime "break" in the middle of the summer. The fact that they last so long after the freeze is a testament to their quality. However, the uninformed misinterprets what he sees and says, "it just broke--must be poor quality."
Old 10-08-2015, 08:31 PM   #7

I need to get rid of my filter cause I just don't trust it. One fitting started leaking today and I snugged it up and it stopped but it pissed me off so out this camper it will go. Guess il have to match up fittings and hose to put together to replace it.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:52 PM   #8

Agree with twice the ice I didn't trust mine so I removed it. It didn't start leaking or anything I just didn't use it. It just filled with water or antifreeze and that's it so I took it out. For me it just made sense. I don't know how it would just start leaking cause I dropped it on the cement floor and no crack just a scuff.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:50 AM   #9

After I was finished filling antifreeze in the system, I unscrewed the cup and dumped the stuff out. Then I dried the threads on both the cup and the mount and put it back on. It now sits empty so hopefully it will be fine.
61cubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 12:47 PM   #10

I hear from a lot of people here that they got rid of them cause it is a dumb design, I agree with that and I all ready have a filter I can put on the inlet on the outside to solve that and that will be 1 more poss leak I don't need specially at night while sleeping and waking up to a puddle on the floor. I always turn the water off when leaving but nite time it stays on
Old 10-12-2015, 08:09 AM   #11

I'm not that rich!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagst228 View Post
I need to get rid of my filter cause I just don't trust it. One fitting started leaking today and I snugged it up and it stopped but it pissed me off so out this camper it will go. Guess il have to match up fittings and hose to put together to replace it.
Since you had a loose fitting, you will throw it away. Following that logic, if you get a loose lug nut, you throw away the wheel and axle--after all, you can't trust it any more. When your fuel tank gets empty, do you buy a new motor home? If you get a leaky valve cover, do you buy a new engine?

I'm just not that rich!!
Old 10-12-2015, 08:17 AM   #12

If u noticed tons of people remove the inside filter, even some dealers recommend it. Like they say it's a plastic cup and it's not worth it. If u knew anything about this stuff u would keep your stupid comments to your self or scream at your wife. There must be something about them if a lot of others are doing it. That's why they sell after market ones that go on the outside and I don't need to have a ruined floor cause of a leak, only makes sense. Thanks
Old 10-12-2015, 09:34 AM   #13

Just the facts

I don't use "Twice the Ice" as a name because I like extra ice in my drinks. Actually, I own and operate seven ice plants as well as consult and design water processing systems for ice plants around the world (ion exchange, ultra violet, ozone, and filtration)--and I do know quite a bit about water filters and choose to share that knowledge instead of keeping it to myself. (I wouldn't scream at my wife, even if I didn't).

If you look at the label on the Forest River filter, you will see that it has either an NSF or a WQA Gold Seal sticker or both. (Most municipalities, health departments and approving authorities require this in commercial or community water systems). I require this certification in all our ice systems. These stickers mean that this filter was tested from 0 to 125 psi 125,000 times (the test takes a week) and have no leaks. After the first test, the same housing is then pressurized to three times working pressure (300 psi) and held for fifteen minutes. Then pressure is raised to 500 psi. It must pass all these tests with no leaks. Also, to be awarded these certifications, a material extraction test is done to verify no harmful materials are used in the manufacture of the housing (like used diapers and recycled plastics). These tests are very difficult to pass and cost tens of thousands of dollars.

After examining the housing in my motor home, I can see three things that could result in leaks. 1)If you leave the o ring out. 2)If you let it freeze. (Freezing will result in pressures in excess of 1500 psi). or 3)If you try to put the wrong cartridge in it, it will break the ratchet teeth and allow the housing to unscrew. The O ring is common sense, and the other two items are clearly warned against on the label.

Most units sold for use OUTSIDE the camper cannot pass these tests, that is why they are put outside.

If it were up to me, I would install a certified stainless steel filter, but that would raise the price about $350 dollars.

For myself and my family, I will trust ONLY the certified product.

Please be blessed, and if you do not keep the certified product, please drink, brush your teeth with, and bathe in bottled water.
Old 10-12-2015, 10:10 AM   #14

TwiceTheIce....

Thank you for the information and Thank you for being an informative member here on this forum.

Islander
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:07 PM   #15

Just to let u know when I said about screaming at the wife it was a joke, hope I didn't insult u, I didn't mean anything by it, but I don't have an ice maker. I do under stand what u mean but a cheaply built filter system that they put in these most should be removed, just like others said they broke the cups on them or the fittings just leak. That's the only reason mine will prob go. It is a simple fix by replacing with a new connector to put the lines together. Thanks for the info on the ice
Old 10-12-2015, 12:09 PM   #16

Oh a by the way I only drink bottle water cause I do not trust camp ground water, I seen a lot a colors over the years with them. Thank u again
Old 11-09-2015, 10:59 AM   #17

Interesting thread. First year with a HW276 and no issues with leaks or maintenance so I'm going to leave well alone and not do anything with the set-up except change the filter out next season.

My advantage is I just blow out the plumbing at the end of the season with air and store the unit indoors in the off season where temps never get below ~38 F....which is the reason I went with a HW instead of a TT.

Greg
Tree Rat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterize, modifications