Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2015, 08:33 PM   #1

Winterizing my Clipper 107 Sport

I got a 2006 Clipper 107 sport this summer and it is time for me to winterize it. It only has cold water. The manual says drain the water tank and then add 2 gallons of RV antifreeze and run the pump until the antifreeze comes through.

I stopped by the local RV shop this morning to pickup some antifreeze and they went on a rant about how I shouldn't add this to my fresh water system because I would never get the taste flushed out (The product was listed as no taste, non toxic). Is there indeed a problem with adding it to my tank and pumping it through? I have seen youtube videos where people have connected a line to their pump to pump directly into their lines. I don't see how this is too different from adding it right to the tank?

Thanks for your help
Gregpietsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 04:15 AM   #2

No problem..........just turn on the bypass valves near your water heater to bypass the heater itself.....you don't want RV antifreeze in your water heater. In the Spring just run a small amount of bleach through you water lines to sanitize your system, after you flush your lines with fresh water.
Trevor43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 03:59 PM   #3

Thanks. Can I drain the excess out of my freshwater tank or should I leave it in there over the winter?
Gregpietsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 04:41 PM   #4

Drain fresh water tank, leave valve open. A small amount, around a few ounces may settle in a low area, but when it freezes it will not cause a problem.
And do NOT add RV coolant to the fresh water tank. Take forever to flush; or so I was told.

In the spring you may also want to sanitize the fresh water tank. I use a cup of household bleach for my 20 gallon water tank every spring. I let it sit for about six hours, then run for a few minutes through the water lines and heater, then drain both tank and heater.

Then I flush both the water tank and heater a few times and never had a bad taste or a bleach taste in the water.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sport, winter, winterize