Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2011, 11:54 AM   #1

Winterizing Rockwood HW256

Hey everyone, I am new to the forum, not new to camping, but new to winterizing. I've printed out some very detailed instructions, but some things still need clarification...

1. Once I bypass and drain the hot water heater by engaging the release valve and removing the anode rod, is it necessary to get every last drop of water out of the tank?

2. Once drained, do I reinstall the anode rod or leave the hole open during winter storage?

3. When draining the fresh water tank and then filling with anti freeze, is it necessary to run the water pump until all anti freeze has left the fresh water tank or leave it run until each faucet begins pouring with pink liquid and then close faucets and turn off pump?

4. Should any anti freeze remain in the fresh water tank or should the remaining liquid be drained as well?

5. Is it necessary to pour antifreeze into the cassette potty or just the freah water line used for flushing?

Thanks in advance for your help everyone. If done correctly, this will save me a lot of time, two trips to the RV dealer and $100!

Thanks,
Cory
corylorentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:13 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

DO NOT POUR ANTIFREEZE IS FRESH TANK!
purchase the kit to be able to do it from the suction side of pump.
Put anode back in
remove water filter before winterizing.
bypass hw heater and get all that u can.
Open low point drains and fresh water drain.
run all taps including inside and outside shower as well as toilet till all is pink.
Dump leftover antifreeze down traps and leave a little antifreeze in toilet.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:34 PM   #3

Be sure to check the detailed instructions for toilet. I've got to re-read mine and figure out how to ensure I get all the water out of the toilet fresh water tank (It's a Thetford Cassette, flush water comes from a separate tank, not the main fresh water tank).

I mention this since I believe my Thetford manual specifically said to never leave water in the bowl to prevent damage to seals at the flush valve.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep4Two View Post
Be sure to check the detailed instructions for toilet. I've got to re-read mine and figure out how to ensure I get all the water out of the toilet fresh water tank (It's a Thetford Cassette, flush water comes from a separate tank, not the main fresh water tank).

I mention this since I believe my Thetford manual specifically said to never leave water in the bowl to prevent damage to seals at the flush valve.
Someone will have an answer regarding that style of toilet.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:01 PM   #5

Here is the link form the 402C that came in my A126. Winterization looks simple, but potentially unpleasant as the annual cleaning is part of the winterization of the holding cassette.

http://www.thetford.com/LinkClick.as...d=569&mid=1470

The key is also draining the flush water holding tank and fill tube. I don't see why the cassette couldn't be stored in a garage since it's removable.
Reese 66065 WDH, Curt WDH Shank #17120
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller, Mopar 7-pin Harness
B&M Transmission Cooler (#70268)
Jeep4Two is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hw256, pop up, rockwood, winterize, water heater