Old 08-01-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
Wiring for AC

My flagstaff pop up has an aftermarket AC roof unit installed. The way it is currently wired, I have the 30amp plug for the main camper feed and a separate cord for the AC. Our campground only has 1 electric cord hook up. Can I add a circuit breaker to the panel and just wire it to feed off the main 30amp wire? If so, where do I get the breaker?

Dalley24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:18 PM   #2
What type of plug do you have on the AC unit. Could you not plug it into your outdoor outlet.

Terry and Janet
2008 3001W Windjammer
2007 Ford F150
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:07 PM   #3
I thought of that but that outlet is on a 15amp breaker with other stuff on it. Thought it may blow. There is an empty slot in my electric panel for another breaker. Just not sure why it wasn't done that way in the first place.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:40 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
30 amp service is USUALLY all thet is required for one AC, although if you have an electric water heater, and microwave, and try to run them all, some have experienced trouble.

Since this is a pop up. you need to be able to get a wire from the roof ac to the breaker box, and that wire must be able to expand and collapse with the roof. Is that possible? Then if you can, and it is a 12 gauge wire or better, smaller number, then you should be able to add a 20 amp breaker for the AC if you have an available empty circuit, which you said you do. Breakers should be available at any big box home improvement or hardware store. Pull one of the others and take with you to match it up if you have to. Make sure all power is disconnected before you do.
2012 Ford F250 ext. Cab 4x4
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:46 PM   #5
How about plugging it into the 20 amp circuit at the campground receptacle. Would save the effort of wiring and finding that with everything running it blows your main 30 amp breaker and you wouldn't have to turn things off to have the AC running. All campgrounds I have been at have a 30 amp receptacle and usually two outlets on 20 amp breakers.

2011 F250 Lariat Crew Cab 6.7L Diesel
2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlite 831 FKBSS
Fleet of Canoes and one Kayak
So Many Rivers so Little Time!
buckisland1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:15 AM   #6
Windrider, thanks. The wire for the AC is a 10 gauge and is already ran right behind the electric panel. That's why I don't understand why they didnt put it on a new breaker when it was installed. I'll find a breaker and see what happens.

We frequent a few campgrounds around us. Our favorite one only has one 30amp plug and no standard plugs to hook up to. Luckily the spot beside us was empty last week so I ran my AC wire next door.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:42 AM   #7
i would be tempted to plug it separately into the 15 receptacle.
if ur breakers are like mine, they will look like a square D but the slot (cut into the plastic housing) that rides over the buss is deeper on the one in the RV. the sq D won't seat well enough to get the cover back on the breaker panel. the cutler hammer fits.
u may want to do a check on that cable they ran and make sure there isn't something wrong with it. insulation could have rubbed off somewhere in the process of pulling it or it could be that they just wanted a separate source for the a/c.

jimh is offline   Reply With Quote