Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2013, 10:02 AM   #1

Wood Underneath Pop Up

I ended up getting a new PUP after driving around for many hours over several weeks looking at used ones that had spongy wood underneath. I was able to push my finger thru on several of them.

My question is do any of you add any type of sealer or spray any type of coating on the bottom of your PUPs to prevent the chip wood board from rotting?
dmullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:44 AM   #2
Always Learning

No and most manufacturers recommend against it as it would trap any moisture that does get in. Given your description, it sure sounds like you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Though, I had a 2001 pop-up that was 10 years old and the wood all around was solid.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:46 AM   #3

We had a Coleman popup for 13 years. Drove in all kinds of rain storms, camped in rain, and always stored it outside. When we sold it, the particle board underneath the trailer looked as good as the day we bought it. I didn't see any obvious signs of sealer or coating from the factory, but it did amaze me that it was built with exposed particle board, and really amazed me that it held up so well.

Seems like if your trailer is solid now, it should stay that way. You could try some polyurethane or some other wood sealant in a small spot and see how it takes. Certainly wouldn't be a huge job to seal that wood if you like how it goes on.

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:28 PM   #4

If this is a FR popup .. your floor is warrenteed for 25 years.
dont mess with it .. coat it .. just leave it alone ...

its meant to breath ... read your information packages ... this will definately help you in making any unnessessary mods that will void out your warrentee.

d-mo
Old 07-31-2013, 03:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-mo View Post
If this is a FR popup .. your floor is warrenteed for 25 years.
dont mess with it .. coat it .. just leave it alone ...

its meant to breath ... read your information packages ... this will definately help you in making any unnessessary mods that will void out your warrentee.

d-mo
I thought the bunk end wood was warranted for 25. Knowing that the floor is actually warranted for that long makes me feel a whole lot better.
Old 08-01-2013, 09:40 AM   #6

It is my understanding the flooring is OSB, or Oriented Strand Board, which is much stronger than regular particle board.

Bob
2013 Rockwood HW296
w4drr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #7
daydreaming about camping

The floor in our '11 Flagstaff HW27SC was marine grade (treated) plywood. The bunk bed bases were OSB.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #8

On the 2014 the bunk bases are marine grade plywood and the floor is described as "One-Piece Undercoated Structure wood Floor."

Tags
pop up