Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2011, 01:15 PM   #1

Wrong tire data displayed on trailer

I would like to talk about an extremely scary event on our recent trip. I have a 2011 ford F150 Super Crew and a 2011 Rockwood Premier 2317g. The tire info on the trailer frame and inside the door states 65 psi for a ST 185/80r/13/load range c. The tires being a Tow Max Power King St 185/80r/13/c. While on our return trip to home, we had the drivers side tire blow(the trailer has a dinette slide on the same side) With the help of a motorist, we managed to change the tire with a spare and continued on home but travelled off of the major highways. When I got home, I started researching and found that the tires are only rated for 50 psi not the 65 psi as stated and the load capacity is 1480 lbs each. The trailer GVWR is 3314 lbs. I contacted the National Highway Traffic Safety Admin, Transport Canada, 2 tire repair companies, my dealer, and finally Forest River. My dealer was useless but Forest River was amazing. We spoke about weight specs NOT the psi. Arrangements were made for me to attend a dealer closer to my house (Gimmerv) for 3 replacement tires. Forest River sent them up by UPS and covered all costs. Well, after a sleepless night, I drove the 45 minutes, with white knuckles to the rv dealer. Upon inspection, they stated that I was lucky the other tire didnt blow out as the belts had broken and the tire was very hot. The tires have been replaced by ST 175/80r/13/load range d with a load capacity of 1610 lbs. On the way home, I stopped at a truck inspection station and had the trailer and truck weighed. The trailer was 2660 lbs. at the axle. My concern is how many frame and door labels have been wrongly placed advising to use 65 psi. Not 50 psi.. I feel that without the sway computers etc on the truck and having towed for over 35 years, there could of been a disaster. Please share this with fellow campers and forward it to whatever agency necessary. Thanks
prh5669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:19 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Good information. There was at least 1 other member here that had the wrong info put on his trailer tire label.

NOTE: Everyone should check their tires for maximum inflation pressure, and also load limits !!! Apparently, the tire inflation and load limit label on the front drivers side of trailers can be incorrect !!!

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:36 PM   #3

wrong tire data

I just left a voice mail with my contact at Forest River and explained the numbers again. It's not just a tire, it's all of the related risks.
prh5669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:21 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Same problem--------

I'm that other member with the wrong data !

I purchased a Rockwood 8285WS on Jan 27, 2011, pulled it from Ohio to Florida. When I got to Florida, I checked the tire pressure and low & behold the tires had 65 PSI of nitrogen in 15" tires that were "C" rated. I checked the data info on the door and left front side of my RV, it said 65PSI, but clearly on the side of the tire it said 50 PSI. I called Forest River warranty , explained what the info stated on data (DOT) stickers and the side of the tire. I was told that a mistake had been made on printing of the "DOT" stickers. I was told to bleed the pressure down to 50 PSI. I was sent new "VIN" stickers and "DOT" stickers for my RV. Make them replace your blown tire, inspect your other tires for any irregular shape or bulges of side walls and tread.

there clearly has been a mistake on the VIN stickers and DOT stickers by
some one at Forest River.

I have now replaced the tires with Goodyear Marathon "D" rated tires. Thank goodness I did not have a blow out on the way back to Florida. It was cold weather at the time and I think that had a lot to do with making it safely back home.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2022 51 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:34 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
I'm that other member with the wrong data !
Sorry Sid.....I just couldn't remember exactly who. Glad you chimed in with your experience.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:35 PM   #6

Very interesting,

When we blew a tire with the under rated tires, our experience was:

Took tire to dealer.
Dealer E-mailed FR.
No response.
Dealer E-mailed FR again.
No response.
Dealer E-mailed VP of FR to request some support for our issue stating the problem was on the forum and was made public.
Finally got a response, they would replace with original tires ( C rated ).
FR was informed same trailers came through with D rated tires on very next set of identical trailers, and under rated tires were not an option.
FR responded with new D rated tires.
They arrived 2 weeks later, they go on tomorrow.

I am not the only one this happened to, there are others on the forum as well with similar experiences.

I am very pleased with our dealer and FR for making things right.
I am also glad that through the experience of others and myself, the issue now gets resolved faster, and that's a good thing for the owners of the trailers, the dealers, and FR. Safty is a big concern and it is good to see they take it VERY seriously, I think more highly of FR now after the issue, and how they finally responded, then if I had no problem at all. Now I know if I have a problem, they actually care about resolving it instead of pretending it never happened.

Thanks again Custom Camper in Plainville Ct. and thanks FR.
ittle dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:02 PM   #7
Villa Estate 392FLFB

makes me want to check my tires...
Old 07-22-2011, 07:39 PM   #8
Site Team

How do we determine if the rating is correct or not? My sticker states 50 psi.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:59 PM   #9

Weigh your camper, see how it compares to the weight listed on the side of the tires. The weight per tire per axle will be on the side of the tire. If you have any questions, ask your dealer, a reputable one will be glad to answer your questions. They want safe, happy campers that come back, not mad ones that drive others away.

If the overweight is from you overloading the camper, change what you take and where you put it ( this will effect the weight on the axle verses the tongue and change your axel weight ). You overloading the camper is negligence on your part and not covered under your tire warranty or by the company.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:01 PM   #10

Sorry, also forgot that the maximum cold inflation pressure will also be on the side of the tire. Read the tire, not the sticker.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:38 AM   #11
Site Team

On a previous trailer by a non- Forest River company I had a totally incorrect weight/tire
size/load range sticker on the side of the trailer up by the hitch.

I called and asked for a corrected sticker. The immediately sent me a new sticker
that was different from the original and still wrong.
I had to send them the info from the side walls of my tires and virtually tell them what
the sticker should say before I got one that was correct.

Also good advice is to weigh your trailer.
EVERYONE should weigh their trailer!!!
Weigh your trailer, read the side walls on your tires and then you will know
if you are in safe limits.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote