Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamisonhouse View Post
We were asked When we made reservations what breed dog we had. When we told them great Pyrenees the campground said his breed was not on the bad list he was fine. When we showed up and my 10 year old walked him around the campground on his gentle leader/ halty they asked us to leave. He hadn't barked or even looked at the other dogs or people in any way! They thought it was a muzzle!!!
Funny, my Molly also has a gentle leader, and lots of people ask if it is a muzzle. Molly is a sweetheart and loves everyone, but she also loves to pull, and I explain that. I have never had a problem with the campground, but then I usually stay at State and Federal campgrounds that don't have pet restrictions.

Gary Shapiro, 2011 Georgetown 29' Class A
Dash, Molly & Lily - now at the Bridge and forever in my heart
Shadow - 4-year-old Greyhound
Hannah - 1 1/2-year-old GSD rescue
dashonthedash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #62

Quote:
We were asked When we made reservations what breed dog we had. When we told them great Pyrenees the campground said his breed was not on the bad list he was fine. When we showed up and my 10 year old walked him around the campground on his gentle leader/ halty they asked us to leave. He hadn't barked or even looked at the other dogs or people in any way! They thought it was a muzzle!!!
That really upsets me. Those leads are recommended for controlling walking NOT aggressive behaviour. Some large dogs have a problem with following and being lead around. That brand of halter is ideal for larger dogs who will ignore a "choker" anyway but that is not to imply the dog has any anger issues. Seriously if you don't know....ask...but don't be a fool. That is as bad as racism toward dogs based on size. Kinda silly.
Jayco Greyhawk 31ds 2012
Alan JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:46 AM   #63

Response to Handbuilder......OMG that's her happy face? Just make sure I don't run out of cookies.
Jayco Greyhawk 31ds 2012
Old 07-22-2012, 12:28 PM   #64
Brigitte

Quote:
That's Terrible!!!!
would you care to share the name of the CG with us?
I certainly will NOT give them my business even if they were welcoming of our dogs.
Timbrens
boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:11 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by boubou View Post
We have 2 small dogs and 1 medium ( 10, 13 and 32 lbs) dog.
We are finding it difficult finding CG that will accept 3 dogs.
What do you guys do? sneak them in and hope for the best?

We used to sneak people into the DriveIn movie in the trunk. The back seat would fold down enough for them to climb through.
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:20 PM   #66
Brigitte

Rofl!!
Wonder how many ppl sneaked their dogs in the TT lol
Timbrens
Old 07-23-2012, 10:30 PM   #67

I camped regularly with 3 dogs, even where limit of 2. They are always on a drop line, always on leash, I am fanatical about cleaning up and never leave them outside the unit if I'm not there with them. When one gets walked, the others are in the trailer. I've never had a problem. I have 7 and will be camping with all of them. We went to a dog show and the small yappy dogs across from us made a whole lot noise than my 7 Siberians. One got loose off the drop line and he ran around a bit, but ran straight to me as I went to the truck to get treats to catch him. I've never had a problem with excessive noise or complaints. Most people love my guys and I frequently get comments about how well mannered and good they are.

I've encountered campsites with only 1 dog which was a lot more obnoxious because they were just left there to bark their fool heads off. I have a friend with 1 hound who just runs her and is so rude. I would never go camping with him. Even when we go for ice cream, he barks and barks non-stop in the back of her SUV and is VERY obnoxious. My feeling is that it's not the number of dogs, it's the management. One badly managed dog can cause more nuisance and damage than a dozen well managed dogs.
SibeTribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:40 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by boubou View Post
hahahahah! no kidding! our Sheltie is like that!
but we take them for a looooong walk before we go, shut the windows if hot and turn the air on and a fan just in case the air malfunction. Shut all blinds, turn up the radio.
I have an Ipod with classical music on it that I play at home to calm them down. I've used it camping and it works like a charm, they just calm down with no whining or carrying on. Also, they like to watch TV, especially crime dramas. It keeps them occupied and prevents boredom which can lead to barking or whining.
Another thing that works is to long up Kong toys with peanut butter, or sardines and freeze them. Give them to the dog, or a nice marrow bone and it will keep them busy while you're gone.
Fortunately, Siberians are actually a very quiet breed. LOL One good thing about purebreds is that when you take multiple and just walk them one at a time most people think you're just walking the same dog a LOT!
Old 07-23-2012, 10:45 PM   #69

Quote:
When we showed up and my 10 year old walked him around the campground on his gentle leader/ halty they asked us to leave. He hadn't barked or even looked at the other dogs or people in any way! They thought it was a muzzle!!!
People are so ignorant. My older male wore a Halti for several years because he's a puller. I have a 17 month old pup who needs one for the same reason. I just point out to people that it's like a horse halter and it's because the dog pulls and I'm not very strong. Yes, have heard comments about muzzle in the past and point out the dog easily opens it's mouth and then I explain the concept of a Halti or Gentle Leader.

Amazing that people don't seem to think anything of the prong collars, or choke collars which cause 80% of the dogs who wear them cervical vertebrae damage.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:00 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnauzer mom View Post
You are probably right!! but we didn't tell the places what we had, they didn't ask,sSchnauzers have a reputation for being barkers. We walked them throughout the campgrounds and RV resort all at once, 4 have been in the show ring so they were pretty well behaved when meeting people and other dogs. Eyes were turned when the x-pens were hooked together on arrival.
It really helps if your dogs are well trained. 4 of mine are show dogs and the one has several obedience titles. I usually tell people their credentials and offer to leave if we're offensive. Mine can't be trusted in X-pens though...they are working lines and would be over a 4ft x-pen before I could say Iditarod. I do use x-pens though to keep people away from my site.
I camped at the KOA in Herkimer NY with 3 when I had a mechanical breakdown on my way to a dog show. It was full of Boy Scouts that weekend. I only had one problem, with a kid teasing my dogs as he walked by while they were tied out. I just changed the tie out to the back of my spot and didn't leave them out by themselves when the kids were around. No problems after that. Remarkable really.

When I've had to leave my dogs in the unit and go away, I usually alert my neighbors to what I'm doing, that the dogs are in the trailer and leave them my cell phone number. Even just making those gestures can stave off problems.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:39 PM   #71

We generally only stay at state of federal CG. Never has been a problem, and they love to go camping! Rat Terrier, Shiba Inu, Min-Schnauzer and Schipperke.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sarena, Pooh, Molly and Little Bit 001.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	17925   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sarena, Pooh, Molly and Little Bit 002.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	17926  
Weeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:05 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
Totally! We have 2 small dogs that always go camping with us. People are surprised to see me walking the dogs as they would never know they are at the campsite otherwise.
i concur with you acadianbob!

our "boys", Murphy, a border collie/australian shepherd mix, and Kyle, a Black Labrador/Golden Retriever mix, always go with us. couldn't imagine a trip without them. they're well behaved, don't bark unless danger is present or imminent, and love to travel and walk around with us via leash around the CG. if they ain't welcome, apparently i ain't welcome. just my two cents. sorry if it sounded like a nickel's worth.
Poppy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:20 PM   #73
Brigitte

First summer camping with our 3 dogs and have to say they are very good! We left them in trailer for only short times at first and tested yhem by walking way, driving away and walking around trailer. No barking.
Asked neighbours, no barking.
We've done quite a bit of camping this summer, and they are great. I think they are thankful for the breaks and naps when we are away lol.
Timbrens
Old 08-13-2012, 09:31 AM   #74

3 dogs and CG

Here are my "Barbarians" and my Tracer 2700 RES in "dog show" mode. And Mama dog enjoying her place. I managed to pack in 5 crates. Two girls don't need a crate. The spot was ideal. The dog show organizers were also the property owners. They actually made us a spot, next to the woods so that I could put out 2 drop lines. I have sleddog drop lines which are short so the dogs don't hurt themselves and I can put all 7 out together. What I discovered though was that one hated being outside, he wanted to go back after every walk into the camper and into his crate. And, the boys were for the most part too loud. So, most of the time, 4 girls were out and they were quieter than mice. They just enjoyed hanging out.
I made sure I left my key when I left, along with my cell phone number so that if there was a problem, I could return and take care of it. I did that 3 days and they told me all was good and quiet. But, I also gave each dog lots of walks along with the hanging out time. If I could find CGs that will take us, I'm sure they would find that we are less trouble than a single barking dog. Though, they did dig, which is something we have to work on. There it was fine, as it was sandy soil and I just scraped it back into the depressions. They like to make holes to lay in, as it's natural for a Siberian.

We are going out again this weekend to another show. This time, only 2 or maybe 3 dogs. The best part about dog showing is that you can pretty much take however many dogs you can handle.

I'm sure going to a CG we would not disturb anyone. But, most private cg owners would probably flip out if they heard the number. Not realizing that these are obedience or show trained dogs and they have good manners and because of the breed, are quiet.

I have realized that a different floor plan would have worked better, as would buying one with a table and chairs instead of the built in dinette. The 2800 RLD with a wardrobe slide and one slide in the rear with sofa and dining area would have worked better, as I could have removed two chairs and put 2 crates in there and then stacked crates where the dining furniture goes. I never eat on a dinette anyway. Right now, I sadly lack space for my clothes and that wardrobe and drawers would have been REALLY handy!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BarrieShowCamping1.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	17988   Click image for larger version

Name:	BarrieShowCamping2.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	17989  
4 Trips 70 nights
Old 08-13-2012, 09:57 AM   #75

Sue and Sibes,

Anyone who adores their dogs as you do must be caring loving person. Just as a point of reference they do make 46 footers for the rich and famous but your pups look quite content where they are.Wow that's getting the most per inch. They seem so calm.
CG are using common sense rather than reading from a rule book when judging dogs by their behavior rather than number or size.
Jayco Greyhawk 31ds 2012
Old 08-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #76

4 paws campground in Virginia allows people if accompied with a dog and does training.

Four Paws Kingdom - The best kept secret for Camping with your Dog!
Berick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:18 PM   #77

Yes, they are quite content. And they are my best buddies. Siberians are action dogs, but they are a little like Greyhounds in that they can do bursts of activity then happily hang out. They need more mental stimulation than your average dog. They get that at the dog show either doing obedience or conformation and getting to sniff all the "pee mail."

Hahaha...if I knew then what I know now, I'd probably have bought a monster bus several years ago. Now, it would take more than 15 minutes of fame! Though with this crew, we might be able to land a reality tv show! I saw a Georgetown with a huge master bed slide and then a bunk slide on the opposite side in the hallway that would have been absolutely perfect for my gang. The only problem with the configuration shown is that the stacked crates are in the way of my watching tv from the loveseat. I looked at taking out the loveseat, but the slide motor and equipment is underneath it, so it's raised off the floor and I could only put 2 crates in the space. I may in the future look at either getting a 2800 RLD or taking out the dinette.
4 Trips 70 nights
Old 08-13-2012, 12:23 PM   #78

I've seen this campground and heard good things about it. It's also near some Siberian acquaintances. Beautiful part of North Carolina too. I would love to go and since my dogs do obedience it might be just the thing for us!
4 Trips 70 nights