Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2012, 08:50 AM   #1
Brigitte

3 dogs and CG

We have 2 small dogs and 1 medium ( 10, 13 and 32 lbs) dog.
We are finding it difficult finding CG that will accept 3 dogs.
What do you guys do? sneak them in and hope for the best?
Timbrens
boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:52 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by boubou View Post
We have 2 small dogs and 1 medium ( 10, 13 and 32 lbs) dog.
We are finding it difficult finding CG that will accept 3 dogs.
What do you guys do? sneak them in and hope for the best?
Course we live in Iowa but have never had an issue with
a cg not allowing dogs.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:59 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

I have found that many campgrounds limit not only the number; but the breeds of dogs allowed. Most have stated it is a liability issue.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:02 AM   #4
Brigitte

breed not an issue here, sheltie, chihuahua and terrier type. all great dogs with kids. Number is the issue. I get the breed limitation for insurance purposes but # ? they are driving away business.
Timbrens
Old 03-22-2012, 09:27 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

It may also an be issue of potential noise and nuisance. Imagine a campground if every site had 3 dogs. They may lose your business but gain business from others. It's probably an economic issue and they have it figured out. And the policy may be from hard experience. Not everyone is a responsible pet owner or mindful of the impact on adjacent campers. (I'm not saying you are one of these people). Unfortunately this is a world where too many people are not respectful of others. And it goes way beyond the dog issue. It must be tough to manage a campground when you think about it. Lots of people in pretty close quarters to manage.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:31 AM   #6

We’ve camped numerous times with all three medium size dogs 35lbs up to 50 lbs never had to sneak them in. Camp mostly at Provincial campgrounds occasionally a few private. Only Turkey Point Provincial ever asked if we had dogs on board but simply asked for a description and name. Can’t say I blame them helps to keep things monitored some people aren’t responsible dog owners and they make the rest of us look bad. We take extra care not to offend anyone in the camp; pick up after the dogs, keep them on lease and the big one keep them quiet other campers have told us they were surprised to see one dog let alone three in our site. I believe as a camper that all dogs whether they are large or small should always be on lease, kept quiet and never allowed loose in their campsite. If someone has to shout out to another camper don’t worry he or she is friendly then they aren’t being responsible or fair to their fellow campers.
We’ve had the dogs at Bon Echo, Turkey Point, Emily, Balsam Lake, Bronte Creek, Haliburton Wildlife Reserve and even in the camp kabins at the KOA in Barrie. Spent three days at Awenda but found the dog beach unsuitable too much rock and Georgian Bay too rough for the dogs. The small inland lake is off limits to swimming dogs a shame really.
Cattledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:39 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I wonder what type to camp ground your asking about? Private, state or national park or forest?

We don't stay at private CGs so can't help you there but the state parks that we mostly stay at do not have a problem.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:51 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post
[SIZE=3]We take extra care not to offend anyone in the camp; pick up after the dogs, keep them on lease and the big one keep them quiet other campers have told us they were surprised to see one dog let alone three in our site. I believe as a camper that all dogs whether they are large or small should always be on lease, kept quiet and never allowed loose in their campsite.SIZE]
Totally! We have 2 small dogs that always go camping with us. People are surprised to see me walking the dogs as they would never know they are at the campsite otherwise.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:27 AM   #9
Brigitte

any type of CG really, I looked at a few KOA's, other private CG and 2 state parks. They either had a no pet policy or 2 dogs max. I did find a couple where they didn't have a number restriction but this 3 pets thing restrict my travels. .....
We keep them quiet and pick up after them, we are very good pet owners and they are no more bothersome than most kids can be
Timbrens
Old 03-22-2012, 10:29 AM   #10
Brigitte

@ Cattledog, we wanted to go in April and most Ontario parks don't open until May long weekend
which is your favorite provincial park?
Timbrens
Old 03-22-2012, 11:09 AM   #11

I have 3 big (!!) dogs, and have never had a problem. I stay mostly at state parks and national parks, but have also not had a problem at any of the private parks I have stayed at. I would stay away from franchise campgrounds like KOA, because the rules are usually not set by the franchisees. You can google "pet friendly campgrounds" to get a list of websites that will list campgrounds, but it is a very good idea to call any campground where you are thinking of stopping. Not all pet policies are clearly posted on websites, and sometimes campgrounds will make exceptions if you ask first, are honest about the number, personalities and breeds of your dogs, and you follow the rules and show responsible ownership.

Gary Shapiro, 2011 Georgetown 29' Class A
Dash, Molly & Lily - now at the Bridge and forever in my heart
Shadow - 4-year-old Greyhound
Hannah - 1 1/2-year-old GSD rescue
dashonthedash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:14 AM   #12

I see you’re from the Kingston area which makes Bon Echo an easy trip for you. You won’t be disappointed the scenery is absolutely beautiful. There are 169 electric sites in the park in addition to everything from non-electric to walk in sites, hike in sites and kayak/canoe in sites, so that will give you an idea of what kind of place Bon Echo is. There is an off leash pet exercise area as well as a pet swimming area and a wide variety of trails. I believe but am not positive that Bon Echo opens mid May but be warned sites fill fast at this park during the main season I tend to prefer September.
As for parks that open in April I think they tend to be more southwestern Ontario parks down towards Lake Erie, which would be quite a trip for you. I hesitate to recommend these only because my idea of camping and others may be completely different. I lean towards more scenery and less convenience. Check out the Ontario Parks website or get an Ontario Parks Guide from a travel bureau and the opening dates will be listed there. I’ve never seen a restriction on the amount of dogs you bring but some parks now offer campground loops that don’t permit dogs.
Cattledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:32 PM   #13

We are going to a CG in Calgary and the restrict dogs that are over 30lbs. As far as KOA the owners are the people that set the rules for their CG. Some KOA's allow dog in the cabins and some don't.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:35 PM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
We are going to a CG in Calgary and the restrict dogs that are over 30lbs. As far as KOA the owners are the people that set the rules for their CG. Some KOA's allow dog in the cabins and some don't.

geee my 100 lb lab toby wouldnt make it there would he ?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:02 PM   #15

Last year I went camping in St. Augustine at Byrn Mawr campground and they actually charged a fee for bringing a pet. Bull cocky!
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:41 PM   #16
Brigitte

I think my main problem is that I'm looking for a CG that is opened in April and accepts 3 dogs lol
I should just go park at camping world in Syracuse :0
Timbrens
Old 03-22-2012, 05:14 PM   #17

I am a pet owner myself so don't get me wrong, we like to take our dog with us camping as well.

But let me share an experience we had last summer in a Forest Service Campground. There was a large group and they all had dogs with them (larger breeds). In the morning we could hear a child crying. Come to find out one of those dogs had bit her as she rode her bike past their campsite. The Camp host was called and not really having any real authority they asked the campers to keep the dogs on a leash. Later that day my sister witnessed another dog from that group attack a man as he walked past their campsite. He was bitten quite badly and ended up in the hospital. This time the Sheriff was called.

As previously stated campground owners have enough problems to deal with, without having that liability and hassle. I can hardly blame them if they have restrictions on pets.
Titleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:37 PM   #18
Brigitte

I understand and am very weary
Myself. I am extremely careful
Of other dogs, i think rv park owners would be safe if dog owners sign a waiver and/or pay a premium by size and breed. (sounds like racial profiling?!)
Timbrens
Old 03-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #19

Brigitte,
I've got to ask..... How is the Sheltie traveling and managing the interaction with others while camping? We have travelled with a Chocolate Lab and now have a Golden Retriever/Aussie mix. Ready for a smaller breed!!!!! Our focus has been on a Sheltie but know no one who has experience with them camping.

Appreciate any advice or lessons learned you might have !

2013 Puma Unleashed 351THSS Toy Hauler
2010 F350 Lariat DRW 6.4L PowerStroke w/4.10
2003 Harley Heritage Classic Softail - Stage 2 (the Toy)
wa9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:33 PM   #20
Brigitte

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa9b
Brigitte,
I've got to ask..... How is the Sheltie traveling and managing the interaction with others while camping? We have travelled with a Chocolate Lab and now have a Golden Retriever/Aussie mix. Ready for a smaller breed!!!!! Our focus has been on a Sheltie but know no one who has experience with them camping.

Appreciate any advice or lessons learned you might have !
I love my sheltie, she is the most gentle, loyal, cuddly dog. But.... The barking at squirrels, cats, birds .... Drives me crazy! That is her only fault. Some people handy at training them, I',m only good to teach shake a paw, lay down lolo
She travel well, loves shasing cars drom the back sear ( watches for cars and barks when ones she especially likes goes bye), she didnt do really well in hotels, but in campgrounds, no problems, quiet, relaxed amd always happy to see kids
Excellent dog, only thing Iwould suggest is go to doggy training, that should take care of barking.
Having said all this, she does not bark much at al at campground.,get one
Timbrens