Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2017, 04:14 PM   #1

Any great Pet food storage ideas?

We go camping with our 2 fur babies and right now, I just have an old bowl and an ice cream bucket that we use to store their pet food in. Does anyone have any great solutions for a food and water station while camping? We usually head out into the boonies to camp (no rv parks for us). So I need something that won't tip over or spill easily over bumpy dirt roads.
ZandyZoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:25 PM   #2
Summer2Go

Went to the dollar store and got large plastic lidded jars for dry food, light weight plastic food bowls, and a pail sized basket for outside water. They get dirty whiskers, and require dumping and refilling the water often enough. I don't like taking their heavy bowls and things from home, I keep the extra stuff in the camper. That way I don't forget anything.
Summer2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:43 PM   #3

We bring bottled or gallon jugs of water for our little dog and have a bin that seals that we got from farm and fleet.
At home we have and cat that is a jerk and likes to play with the water dish so to keep him from doing so we have a deep Glass bread pan with velcro on the bottom and on the floor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PetFoodContainersBoth_x.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	136077  
Jmkjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:46 PM   #4

I like the velcro idea! I mostly worry about their bins flying around on bumpy roads. So that would be great
ZandyZoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:48 PM   #5

I went to the Dollar Store and purchased this small plastic garbage can with locking lid for our dogs food and her bowls to fit into when traveling. Works perfectly.

Before travels, we measure out her food per servings and put inside disposable baggies, and put the food and both bowls in the container for easier traveling. When not in use we store the container and bowls in the camper, until next time.
Attached Images

2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:49 PM   #6

Yeah the bin we have doesn't have wheels and where we put it it's wedged between the trash can and sofa with a wall behind it and the trash can is tight against the kitchen cabnit
Jmkjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:38 PM   #7

We found this and have always used it in the RV and at home. Dry food stores underneath and they love having food and water in the removable stainless bowls. Won't tip over, fits neatly underneath the dinette or elsewhere. It doesn't have to be that high as you can rotate the top and it collapses to half that height but still holds 25 pounds of dog food.

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...&gclsrc=aw.ds#

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:23 PM   #8
Summer2Go

We may not have a lot of floor space, so I feed them and put the food bowls away. Just the water stays out in the camper. With big dogs there is too much traffic. Outside they need a tall bucket type, because it holds more, and keeps dirt and bugs out a little better. At home I have a 20 year old flat faced semi blind Persian, who drops food all over the floor. I put the bowl on a melamine tray to catch it all.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:25 PM   #9

I like the Vittles Vault for mass storage. We also have a smaller amount of kibble in the kitchen.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2015 Coachmen Chaparral 336 TSIK

Twice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:13 PM   #10

We also pre-measure into disposable bags (that we re-use) - and bring just the right amount, so nothing has to be brought BACK into the house but the bags. We leave bowls in the trailer all the time. We store the disposable bags in an old popcorn tin. Closes well. Dogs and any creepy crawlies can't get in.

hotzfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:34 PM   #11

Dog food storage

We only pack the food needed. So for short trips - it is one day's worth per resealable baggie stored in one of the refrigerator bins. For long trips (2 months) it is in larger baggies holding 3 days worth each. They are stored in an otherwise empty cooler on the floor next to the crate. Once a baggie is opened, it is stored in the refrigerator. While camped, leashes, collars, training equipment, hiking bag with water bottle, bowl, etc. are stored on top of the chest. (or she knocks the stuff off to put two feet on it to see who/what is outside the window) Crossing to Canada though - we'll need to bring the food in the original packaging so we'll probably buy smaller bags (and pay more per pound) Her food is not available everywhere.
Katja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:40 PM   #12

Pet Smart is the place

We bought spill proof water and food bowls for our two. We then premix there food in ziplock bags (daily servings), easy to store easy to serve. Never had a bowl tip yet. We also have a no slip mat to set bowls on so they can't scoot the bowl around. Been doing it that way for years even at home.
Good luck
AJAbbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twice View Post
I like the Vittles Vault for mass storage. We also have a smaller amount of kibble in the kitchen.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
We something like the vittles vault, it has the same lid but is soft sided. I can't remember where we got it.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:27 PM   #14

Ziplock Freezer bags work great to hold a week or two worth of dry food. I stuff them into wherever I can find some room. The dog always knows where they are in case I've forgotten.
damann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 08:18 PM   #15

Pet food storage

This is what we use. On Amazon. Comes in various sizes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0180.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	271.3 KB
ID:	136218  
justpassinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:00 PM   #16

Purina Pro Plan packages its puppy food in plastic containers - I am guessing two gallon, shaped sorta like 5 gallon fuel jugs. So very suitable FREE food containers. Most dogs can tolerate a few weeks of puppy food without harm, however we had a friend raising a litter and managed to score ours empty. We carry two of them in our wardrobe with food for long trips, single meal baggies for short ones, as someone else said, in the fridge or tucked wherever. The water bowl goes in the sink when we are moving, stainless steel food dishes in the cabinet with our dishes. We do not carry special water. Learned 40 years ago to top off water tank at each camp spot. The continually mixed water has never caused a problem for pet or human. By the way, I have never "sanitized" our water system either. I guess we and our various dogs just have built up a good tolerance for weird aquatic bugs.
Sandy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:42 AM   #17
Summer2Go

Well you should watch out for Purina pet foods as well, quality has progressively gone downhill.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:51 AM   #18

I've seen a lot of suggestions about what to store the food in and even some about what kind of food to feed your pets... I didn't see anyone answer your question about food bowls that will not spill on bumpy roads (Maybe it was me who missed the point or didn't read every post. I do have ADHD and skim a lot).

I have a crew cab truck and my 3 boxers get the back seat. We make regular trips from Houston to just south of Baton Rouge every other month to see family. The wife was always holding a large plastic bowl and filling it with water from them to drink. I went to the dollar store and purchased 3 rectangular plastic containers. The first one large enough to fit between the front and rear seats behind the console and just high enough to be nearly level with the rear seat. The next two were smaller but equal in size. I glued them to the bottom of the larger one. Essentially I made a pedestal out of the large one and a food and water bowls out of the others. We keep the water about 1/2 full (about 6" deep container) and the water does not splash out. If you have the locking lids, even better for when they are not drinking. When we reach our destination, we set this contraption on the floor inside or outside for them to use.

Depending on the types of containers you can find, you may be able to glue the two smaller containers to the lid so you can use the pedestal as a dry storage for food and water bottles.

Hope this helps.
JoeyNiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:11 AM   #19

non spill dog water bowl - 'buddy bowl'

It took me awhile to find a link for this, but this is what we use in the car. You can fill it and hold it upside down and the water does not leak out. This brand looks different from the ancient one we use, but I think it is the same principle:
https://www.amazon.com/Buddy-Bowl-44.../dp/B0044M0FIM
Katja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:13 AM   #20

I have used the water boy for years and love it, it never makes a mess
https://www.amazon.com/miller-twb3-W...s=waterboy+dog

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage