Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2014, 08:08 PM   #1

Any Jack Russell owners....

Thinking about getting this boy from the Animal Control in my area, to be a playmate to my new-to-me dog, who has 'separation anxiety'. Doing some reading online about this breed....and it says they can be quite a handful.

So if there are any Jack Russell owners out there, I'd be grateful for your input.

Click image for larger version

Name:	28234550-3-800x0.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	44931Click image for larger version

Name:	Gus.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	44932Click image for larger version

Name:	Gus 1.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	44933
Sargent's Fox Hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:14 PM   #2

I had 2 jacks at one time. They are a handful. I
wouldn't suggest getting one to leave alone. They get bored and make their own fun and not in a way you might think of as fun. Lol

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forest River Forums mobile app
Honda eu3000 Generator
2015 Nights Camped : 37
2014 Nights Camped : 33
Quasipato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:29 PM   #3

We have 4 Jack/Chihuahua mixes and they are a handful!! I wouldn't trade them for the world though!! They are great campers too! Good luck with "Gus"!
Old 01-14-2014, 08:34 PM   #4
NELA

Nieghbor across the street has a rough coat. He has to keep her crated while not home...ummm he's never asked us to sit for him while he's out of town (often). So far his parents keep her and I'm glad for that! handful is an understatement

Sister had a rough coat that had a strange quirk, kinda like a fainting goat. If something upset him he'd flip over on his back, all four legs straight up in the air and freeze like that. He also slept like that. She got him free because his original owners were about to take him to a shelter. yep...again, handful is an understatement.

This is not a breed DH and I would ever consider adopting.

Edited to add: Neighbor put a sofa out by the road for garbage collection a few months ago. I noticed the cushion covers were totally destroyed. He has no other pets so obviously it was the Jack's work.

And on second thought, my sister got her Jack after she agreed to dog sit for a co-worker who'd gone through all family members and other friends 'til no one would sit the dog any more. When her co-worker came back she asked if my sister wanted her because she was going to take the dog to the shelter.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:57 PM   #5

I know some can be a handful but it's how you raise them! I have one and she can go from 0 to a 100 and back from 100 to 0 instantly. So much personality too! I say go for it!
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:01 PM   #6

Great dogs with lots and lots of energy. Have trouble sitting still. Very smart and trainable dog as well as lovable.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:06 PM   #7

Thanks for all the feedback from you Jack Russell owners out there. I am going to take my Cinnamon, the Chiwienie, to the Dog Pound tomorrow, to meet Gus.

I wish there was a way that instead of outright adopting Gus, I could 'foster' him for a couple weeks, to see if he is a good fit, and then adopt him. I guess it won't hurt to ask.

Maybe the 2 dogs won't even like each other tomorrow. Who knows, it seems that I don't have any luck with 'blind dates' either!!!
Old 01-15-2014, 11:16 AM   #8
Cyber Phrenologist

We had one ages ago. Ours required constant interaction or as stated upthread, he would make his own fun.

They are not mellow dogs, they were originally breed for farmers to dig rats and other vermin out of the ground and kill them, and they retain this quality.

They do not get tired, ever, and they eat their own weight in 3 days ration (or so it seems. )

If you want a lapdog to sit and watch TV with you, get something else. If you want an untiring, energetic Tasmanian devil, then go for it. They will keep you busy. Having another dog to play with may be a good thing for a Jack, but the Jack is going to want to be the alpha in that pack.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:42 AM   #9

I forgot to mention that I had to keep her crated during the day. She was not the most friendly to other dogs, she was too busy hunting. I would not say that dog would be the best company for another dog.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forest River Forums mobile app
Honda eu3000 Generator
2015 Nights Camped : 37
2014 Nights Camped : 33
Quasipato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:06 PM   #10

Bandit minds me.
He does not mind Laurel.
He is coarse and demanding.
Our JRT has attacked other dogs and has nipped at people and children.
He wears a muzzle when another dog comes over.
Twice I have picked up my dog and he still had the other dogs face in his mouth.
The police have been to the house and he is now registered as a nuisance dog.
Dude is a complete psychopath.
IMO from my experience they are a dangerous breed.
If the dog is safe and happy where it is, leave it there.
I would rather confront an 80 pound dog than my 19 pound Jack.
They are vicious and are bred to kill.
Some people thought Charlie Manson was really cool.

Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:03 PM   #11

Took Cinnamon to the Animal Control facility today, to meet Gus, the Jack Russell. He was WAY to eager to meet her, so she kept backing away from him.

Even though Gus was a little bigger and stronger than what I wanted, the Optimist in me, was almost ready to give in. As I was standing there talking to the Animal Control person, Gus walked around behind this guy, and peed on his pantleg!!!

So Gus made up my mind for me.

I'll be starting a new thread, telling about "Cinnamon's New Brother".....
Old 03-18-2014, 06:24 AM   #12

Location: Boone Lake, TN 13 miles from Bristol Motor Speedway
Meet Ziva, our newest addition. She's a mix but still mostly Jack Russel Terrorist. I made the mistake of calling her a rat terrier the other day and DW acted as if I'd killed someone... Ziva does like to sleep on our laps between activities...

Old 03-18-2014, 06:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent's Fox Hole View Post
Thinking about getting this boy from the Animal Control in my area, to be a playmate to my new-to-me dog, who has 'separation anxiety'. Doing some reading online about this breed....and it says they can be quite a handful.

So if there are any Jack Russell owners out there, I'd be grateful for your input.

Attachment 44931Attachment 44932Attachment 44933
I followed your posts about the separation anxiety issue, so I know you are a very dedicated dog owner. You went to extraordinary lengths to address that problem successfully (even when it seemed at times to be a lost cause), and I feel certain you'll figure out how to handle things if the Jack Russell starts out being less than perfect.

Based on your previous posts, I think you probably have time to devote toward working with a problem dog (if there is a problem) and the savvy to know where to turn if outside help is called for.

I hope you'll be willing to give this dog a chance, too.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:50 PM   #14

One reason that Jack's are so hyper is their breeding. Their sense of hearing is one of the best in the dog kingdom.
My son and daughter in law had one and I actually hated that dog, always jumping on me, very nippy,pushed the granddaughters over and not trainable by them.
We ended up with a Jack Russell, the only way you would know is by looking at him. He is NOT jumpy at all, not nippy, doesn't run all over the place. No it was not his training, even though he has had to have special training. He is DEAF. He doesn't hear the vermin under ground, he doesn't hear me call him, he is learning hand signs for his training. We take him camping and he is just fine, He gets along with the other animals that are at our house.
2011 Greywolf 26rl
nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:58 PM   #15

We have had two, and they do go 0 to 60 real fast, a lot of personality and very funny. Was great with our lab, I will own another one some day.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Forest River Forums mobile app
phillip252 is offline   Reply With Quote